• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
And it's worth noting in Hore's quotes that they have employed three new staff in that area - two DOs and a Schools officer.

This is actually an exciting opportunity to start something new. If only we had the cash to do it properly.......

S

sidelineview

And it's worth noting in Hore's quotes that they have employed three new staff in that area - two DOs and a Schools officer.

This is actually an exciting opportunity to start something new. If only we had the cash to do it properly...

If only someone had the cash .. true.
Parramatta aren't travelling too well across all grades either.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

How recent was that? At least check we had one DO and he was moonlighting as Second Grade coach at 2 Blues I think.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
From this article: https://rugbynews.net.au/breaking-penrith-emus-officially-cut-shute-shield-competition/

“A series of reforms NSWRU is in the process of implementing at will also benefit the Western Sydney. This includes two development officers dedicated to Western Sydney in addition to a dedicated schools coordinators who will work with public and private schools. These personnel will be further supported under the new governance structure with the ‘Metro Council’ that will focus on participation, people development and infrastructure,” said Hore

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Some would interpret that as a bit of a mea culpa by the hierarchy.

Or the conspiracy theorists would cry "Penrith get the arse and suddenly they triple the number of staff for Western Sydney? RIGGED!"

Maybe it is just the politics of sport. None of us, none of the clubs, could possibly complain about this expenditure.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Rumors that the Norths v West game for next weekend scheduled for North Sydney Oval will now be the curtain raiser at Brookvale oval for the Waratahs v Blues game.

Apparently the council has now said this can't go ahead.
Given that there were apparently protracted negotiations to at first move the Rats v Souths game as the curtain raiser and when that fell through they tried for Norths v Wests, makes you wonder what took the council so long to decide it wasn't possible to play the extra game!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Apparently the council has now said this can't go ahead.
Given that there were apparently protracted negotiations to at first move the Rats v Souths game as the curtain raiser and when that fell through they tried for Norths v Wests, makes you wonder what took the council so long to decide it wasn't possible to play the extra game!
It might have something to do with the state of the ground

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
I understand the angst about the removal of Penrith from SS, but this has been coming for a while - since the early 00s in fact when ARU/NSWRU pulled the funding.

I have enormous sympathy for the Penrith club, as I feel that they have been treated quite poorly over a period of time. However, the fact remains that the Penrith club and officials have been unable to put the club into a position in which it is competitive in the competition. In fact for at least the last 5 years they've been a basket case. In the circumstances, I don't believe that the SRU had any choice but to remove them from the competition.

IMO the best thing for the Penrith club would be to return to Kentwell Cup in 2019 and have the club stabilise itself.

I hope that NSWRU have learnt a valuable lesson from the whole sorry affair, and that is that however desirable it may be to have a strong rugby presence in the outer western parts of Sydney it will require significant and sustained funding and resources for it to become a reality. Having an uncompetitive team out there is, IMO, worse than having no team at all.

Might I suggest that NSWRU look at a different model if they are ever to attempt this again. Set the club up from scratch, fund it, staff it, resource it and give it a decent home base. There exists at Blacktown a sports complex where a western Sydney rugby academy could be based and with the members of the academy forming the basis of the programme.

r130_210_4360_2530_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
that would obviously require some RA grass roots funding....

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It's the worst ground in the NRL and is bascially a relic from the 1980s. The council are probably surprised that anyone would want to play there.

In many ways Rat Park is a better facility.
Manly are doing some research into the number of ACLs done there in recent weeks.
I don’t think that’s just to distract attention from the shenanigans - but you never know.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Some would interpret that as a bit of a mea culpa by the hierarchy.

I hope it's a recognition by the hierarchy that the need to drive and fund any meaningful expansion into western Sydney. Andrew Hore has been saying some very sensible and insightful things recently. I hope he can put his words into deeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.