• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yes I remember the days when the oval was a quagmire in the wet. All teams used to train there (including juniors) so by about June there was barely a blade of grass on the field. The drainage is much better now and it's only used for training by the 1sts/2nds once a week maximum so the playing surface is very good. The cricket pitch is the obvious exception. They've had the covers on, but it will still be damp and if it rains during the day it won't take long to turn to mud.

I remember playing a GF on Chatswood Oval in 1978 (I was 11) with the mud coming halfway up my calves. Everywhere. A glorious 0-0 draw and joint Premiers! Lucky no-one drowned!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Norths v Warringah from North Sydney Oval.

Now there was a ground which used to have even less grass than Manly Oval back in the old days. The various Norths clubs in league, union, soccer, Aussie Rules and hockey all used to play home games there.

Not to mention the friggin' cricket pitch.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Ha, ha, ha, I pissed myself. Holmes kicks straight into the referee. There are absolutely no skills on show in this match.

Then why did you watch it? Very strange that you (a) bothered to watch a match you clearly didn't enjoy and (b) decided to waste more of your time by coming on here and making inflammatory comments. And people wonder why rugby in Australia is such a mess.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Getting back to the rugby. I watched the 2nd half of Norths v Warringah. Enjoyed the contest.

Disappointing that Manly again collapsed in the 2nd half. We won the first half 21-20 and lost the 2nd half 3-20. It's been a recurring theme in 2019.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Uni won the first half. WSTB definitely had a dig in the second. They dominated both field position and possession in the 2nd. Full credit to them.

I thought Uni would run away with it in the second half. Not to be. WSTB played a tactical game of holding the ball, even from their own line. Virtually no kicking.

Final score 38-7, flattering for Uni. Includes an intercept when Parra were hard on attack.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I thought the TV game today was a fantastic exhibition of footy at times. There was a period where the ball didn't go dead for about 7-8 minutes, which is unusual at that level.

Glad you watched a bit. If we relatively few rugby diehards in this AFL/NRL dominated country cannot enjoy and appreciate the game at the grassroots no matter which state or city it is being played, we deserve for it to die out.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yeah, that's what I thought too Wamb.;)

Can't see the Tahs getting anyone of value out of that match for next year.
Tuned into the Norths Warringah game today. What a farcical exhibition. Referee also a muppet.
Nothing like tuning in with an open mind.....
You see what you want to see,I spose.

If it was such a farce, why weren’t the guys with current pro contracts,absolutely dominating these muppets?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Nothing like tuning in with an open mind...

If it was such a farce, why weren’t the guys with current pro contracts,absolutely dominating these muppets?
Exactly, Seb Wileman—called up to the Reds this year—got clowned by his Nathan Russell en route to Norths’ first try. I enjoyed the sting in defence from both sides.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Nothing like tuning in with an open mind...

I think some of the decision making took away from the game at times. Poorly chosen box kicks etc. Which were very much out of character for the likes of Norths who play probably the best ball in play style in the competition and generally make the right decisions in that regard.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Full results for the round
Eastwood def Manly 40-24
Souths def Randwick 34-19
Norths def Warringah 25-10
Uni def WSTB 38-7
Gordon def Wests 36-12
Easts bye

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Warringah 47
Eastwood 47
Norths 46
Uni 45

A clear top 4 and from what I’ve seen this year the premiers will come from this group.

Then follow fighting it out for 5th and 6th
Gordon 38
Manly 37
Easts 37

Further back the next group who would seem out of contention.
Souths 31
Randwick 27
Wests 25

The struggling WSTB bring up the rear on 7

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If the NRC goes as predicted, we could do a lot worse than have a knockout tournament involving the top 4 plus the Brisbane grand finalists the Canberra premiers and the Melbourne premiers and possibly the Perth premiers

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Then why did you watch it? Very strange that you (a) bothered to watch a match you clearly didn't enjoy and (b) decided to waste more of your time by coming on here and making inflammatory comments. And people wonder why rugby in Australia is such a mess.

QH, I lived for something like 18 years at South Narrabeen, Collaroy and Elanora Heights. My son kitted up for some years with the Narrabeen Tigers. I have a soft spot for the Rats. I have seen reports this year of how good they are going, leading the SS competition. Of course, with a free Saturday afternoon, I am going to tune into them whenever they're on.

All that doesn't cloud my eyes to the very poor standard of play by both teams, but especially by the Rats, in this game. The discussion on the game ought to be enhanced by an impartial view of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.