• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I don't get that people are confused over the deliberate knock on rule in relation to attempted intercepts. A knock on occurs if the ball is projected towards the opposition goal line. If it is deflected towards your own goal line it is not a knock on, deliberate or otherwise. A deliberate knock on should earn a penalty, or a YC to the offender or a penalty try. A deliberate knock back is simply play on.

The referee yesterday ruled the touch in question to be not a knock on so play on. IMO he was wrong, in that the ball did look to be projected forward by the Uni player (Porter?) but having ruled it went backwards it was correct that play was allowed to proceed.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
How good was Warringah's try!
2 on 2 out wide, winger feints to come inside then when both Uni defenders sit on their heels he scorches around the outside to score.
Brilliant.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't get that people are confused over the deliberate knock on rule in relation to attempted intercepts. A knock on occurs if the ball is projected towards the opposition goal line. If it is deflected towards your own goal line it is not a knock on, deliberate or otherwise. A deliberate knock on should earn a penalty, or a YC to the offender or a penalty try. A deliberate knock back is simply play on.

The referee yesterday ruled the touch in question to be not a knock on so play on. IMO he was wrong, in that the ball did look to be projected forward by the Uni player (Porter?) but having ruled it went backwards it was correct that play was allowed to proceed.

I should have read your explanation before hitting my "post".

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Okay here is what I propose should happen...

For tahs players they are allocated to shute shield clubs based on draft selection. Where lowest placed shute shield clubs have higher preferences etc. For players who came to Tahs already playing for existing club - they are exempt. What it would mean is those fringe tahs players who are more likely to play regular club games are more likely to be in demand draft wise and be picked up by lower placed clubs. For me this makes a lot of sense if they are serious about a) improving competitiveness of Shute shield and b) improving competitiveness of pirates and two blues and making better inroads in building support for rugby in Western Sydney.

Johnny Drama

Sydney Middleton (9)

I'm not sure of the exact wording of the law and I'm too lazy to look it up. The intent of the law is to penalise a defender who sticks out a hand to prevent the delivery of a pass. Whether the ball goes backwards or forwards off his hand I think should be immaterial. The intent is clear. To stop the pass. In this instance there was no attempt at intercept just a successful piece of thwarting. Imo a penalty and a yellow. Maybe even a penalty try.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I doubt Phipps was in 3rds Colts for long. I only ever saw him in 1sts.

One sad aspect of this is that Phipps is the grandson of a Wallaby, who played for Gordon. Can you imagine the grandson of an All Black playing for a different club in the same vicinity?

I am not criticising Phipps, but it seems to me to be emblematic of the lack of rugby tradition which is one of the huge strengths that New Zealand has compared to us.

Johnny Drama

Sydney Middleton (9)
As I said I doubt he was in 3rds colts for long. I still doubt he was in 3rds colts for long.I think he played 1sts at Kings so he was no dud.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Thought this might be of interest to the Club Rugby crew. Taylor Adams has signed a professional contract with the Toronto Arrows for the 2020 Major League Rugby season. Won't be turning out for Eastwood until June (when the MLR season ends) if at all next year.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Sad loss for the Woodies. He started the season a lot better than he finished it, though. Maybe he had this offer in his back pocket, and eased off a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.