• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2023

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
I’d love to know how much Hoiles & Co spent on winning the Shute Shield this year. The rental market in Coogee at the moment is pretty hot and I imagine those English and Irish lads would be glad the Galloping Greens were paying for them.
Straight out of the DC playbook. Cheap way to get elevated to next level

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
^^ very good point.

Early 2010s when they just couldn’t get over Uni, Eastwood but had BPA, Holloway, Rohan Saifoloi, Paul Asquith and others who were all in and around super rugby were living or supported by the club

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I remember when Willie O. was "recruited" by Manly he was always surprised to discover a few odd bank notes in his pockets after the game. So they say.

Once upon a time there was an expression - "boot money". Cash left in the players' shoes after the game. Of course the game used to be amateur. Ha ha.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I remember when Willie O. was "recruited" by Manly he was always surprised to discover a few odd bank notes in his pockets after the game. So they say.

Once upon a time there was an expression - "boot money". Cash left in the players' shoes after the game. Of course the game used to be amateur. Ha ha.
And Campo played club rugby in Italy for the pizza….

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Campo wasn't paid a cent to play in Italy. But, his "job" with Milano (owned by Berlusconi of AC Milan and Italian PM fame) came with an apartment and a cushy job at Silvio's golf club. And a car. And a return airfare. Campo was ALWAYS an amateur rugby player before 1996.

Had a long lunch with David around 1995 and did a rough sum of his rugby activities on the back of an envelope; if he didn't gross around $400k then from all his associated rugby doings I must've drunk too much.

Last edited:

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Campo wasn't paid a cent to play in Italy. But, his "job" with Milano (owned by Berlusconi of AC Milan and Italian PM fame) came with an apartment and a cushy job at Silvio's golf club. And a car. And a return airfare. Campo was ALWAYS an amateur rugby player before 1996.

Had a long lunch with David around 1995 and did a rough sum of his rugby activities on the back of an envelope; if he didn't gross around $400k then from all his associated rugby doings I must've drunk too much.

hahahahaha he has opening admitted that after the after game function there would be thounds of lira left in his bag when he played home games a Benetton

Footy head

Herbert Moran (7)
pretty big turn out on the weekend. Good to see that randwick came away with all premierships other then second grade. Very impressive

Galloping_Green&SJC

Frank Row (1)
I’d love to know how much Hoiles & Co spent on winning the Shute Shield this year. The rental market in Coogee at the moment is pretty hot and I imagine those English and Irish lads would be glad the Galloping Greens were paying for them.

Hey HooperPockockSmith,

I would like for you to understand the immense development of juniors and constant building Randwick have undergone to win this years Shute Shield and further win 3/4 grade competitions plus a well deserved Club Champions. For instance this years, voluntary and self-funded program by Randwick Juniors is the 'Randwick Junior academy' est 2014, is a 10 week summer program (ages 10- 18) that encompasses beach work, S & C sessions, Wednesday trainings session by 33 coaches including 14 Ex-Wallabies as coaches, twice week and Saturday morning fitness at several locations eg; Coogee Beach, South Coogee Stairs, Clovelly cemetery running, Wanda Sand Hills and Clovelly Run/Swim-Run. (All Coaches are Ex-Club players) .The fact that the academy is free is the cherry on top.
For instance this year the program received 374 applications in 3 days, impressive and shocking that even clubs like Gordon who have the biggest junior bases in Australia don't have anything hat funnels juniors and success.
Another being key recipe to the success is, Randwick's teenage club. The Randwick Warriors who out of 6 teams in SRU A div. Comps won three in the 15's, 16's and Opens. The clubs coaches are brining them through to the colts as well and Randwick are being pro-active sacking the current head of Colts who haven't offered results at the end of this year. These efforts offer both results, a club to be proud of and builds a winning culture.
Ultimately this success filters into the senior club.
The clubs commitment to hire Steven Hoiles and his coaching staff is a credit the board. Who made sure to employ a successful young coach who connects with the players while also delivers obvious results (Prems.), he is also an Ex-player at the club and knows to build a strogn 1st grade team requires the lower grades to also be strong (an important recipe for success) The clubs commitment to also establish the Elite Player Development program as well keeps players in the club. This success will last now since the drought is broken

Premierships are built not bought (@SYDUNI)

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Hey HooperPockockSmith,

I would like for you to understand the immense development of juniors and constant building Randwick have undergone to win this years Shute Shield and further win 3/4 grade competitions plus a well deserved Club Champions.
Premierships are built not bought (@SYDUNI)
And it only took 20 years to win the big one.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)

Haha, fair enough.

Herman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Randwick Rugby Club on Brook Street still serving beers after the win on Saturday?
Stunning defensive effort to hold on.
Randwick, a club known for their running rugby, win a grand final on defence… wow!
Beyond proud.