• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2023

HarryElite

Herbert Moran (7)
Hey HooperPockockSmith,

I would like for you to understand the immense development of juniors and constant building Randwick have undergone to win this years Shute Shield and further win 3/4 grade competitions plus a well deserved Club Champions. For instance this years, voluntary and self-funded program by Randwick Juniors is the 'Randwick Junior academy' est 2014, is a 10 week summer program (ages 10- 18) that encompasses beach work, S & C sessions, Wednesday trainings session by 33 coaches including 14 Ex-Wallabies as coaches, twice week and Saturday morning fitness at several locations eg; Coogee Beach, South Coogee Stairs, Clovelly cemetery running, Wanda Sand Hills and Clovelly Run/Swim-Run. (All Coaches are Ex-Club players) .The fact that the academy is free is the cherry on top.
For instance this year the program received 374 applications in 3 days, impressive and shocking that even clubs like Gordon who have the biggest junior bases in Australia don't have anything hat funnels juniors and success.
Another being key recipe to the success is, Randwick's teenage club. The Randwick Warriors who out of 6 teams in SRU A div. Comps won three in the 15's, 16's and Opens. The clubs coaches are brining them through to the colts as well and Randwick are being pro-active sacking the current head of Colts who haven't offered results at the end of this year. These efforts offer both results, a club to be proud of and builds a winning culture.
Ultimately this success filters into the senior club.
The clubs commitment to hire Steven Hoiles and his coaching staff is a credit the board. Who made sure to employ a successful young coach who connects with the players while also delivers obvious results (Prems.), he is also an Ex-player at the club and knows to build a strogn 1st grade team requires the lower grades to also be strong (an important recipe for success) The clubs commitment to also establish the Elite Player Development program as well keeps players in the club. This success will last now since the drought is broken

Premierships are built not bought (@SYDUNI)
I think his point was more - how many actual randwick Juniors were in the starting 15? i would probably say a few players (maybe 5/6 came through colts) - but actual Randwick juniors, rather than players their colts system signed from being in good schools?

I think to win a shute shield, you need a combination of everything, overseas players, super rugby players and the local players, so i think randwick did great. Wicks have clearly spent a bucket load of money but they also have a pretty fantastic system to be able to be so successful this year throughout the grades, so good on em.

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
Hey HooperPockockSmith,

I would like for you to understand the immense development of juniors and constant building Randwick have undergone to win this years Shute Shield and further win 3/4 grade competitions plus a well deserved Club Champions. For instance this years, voluntary and self-funded program by Randwick Juniors is the 'Randwick Junior academy' est 2014, is a 10 week summer program (ages 10- 18) that encompasses beach work, S & C sessions, Wednesday trainings session by 33 coaches including 14 Ex-Wallabies as coaches, twice week and Saturday morning fitness at several locations eg; Coogee Beach, South Coogee Stairs, Clovelly cemetery running, Wanda Sand Hills and Clovelly Run/Swim-Run. (All Coaches are Ex-Club players) .The fact that the academy is free is the cherry on top.
For instance this year the program received 374 applications in 3 days, impressive and shocking that even clubs like Gordon who have the biggest junior bases in Australia don't have anything hat funnels juniors and success.
Another being key recipe to the success is, Randwick's teenage club. The Randwick Warriors who out of 6 teams in SRU A div. Comps won three in the 15's, 16's and Opens. The clubs coaches are brining them through to the colts as well and Randwick are being pro-active sacking the current head of Colts who haven't offered results at the end of this year. These efforts offer both results, a club to be proud of and builds a winning culture.
Ultimately this success filters into the senior club.
The clubs commitment to hire Steven Hoiles and his coaching staff is a credit the board. Who made sure to employ a successful young coach who connects with the players while also delivers obvious results (Prems.), he is also an Ex-player at the club and knows to build a strogn 1st grade team requires the lower grades to also be strong (an important recipe for success) The clubs commitment to also establish the Elite Player Development program as well keeps players in the club. This success will last now since the drought is broken

Premierships are built not bought (@SYDUNI)
Can you please run through how many Randwick Juniors were actually in that team on the weekend. From my viewing there were 7 international players and 5 Gordon Juniors in that starting team. Not a great advertisement for the Randwick Junior Academy.

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Can you please run through how many Randwick Juniors were actually in that team on the weekend. From my viewing there were 7 international players and 5 Gordon Juniors in that starting team. Not a great advertisement for the Randwick Junior Academy.

The Wicks do seem to have a fair bit of strength throughout the grades, which means there is more to it than moolah.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
They’ve built a place players want to go at the moment. They also have a lot of internationals who want to live in that part of Sydney.

Associating your Academy to the Shute Shield results is some top level trolling and delusion. If you want to look at your Academy production then Colts would be a better measure and Randwick on the season table finished 4th, 4th, 5th. Not bad, but let’s not try and write a cover letter about the program.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I’d love to know how much Hoiles & Co spent on winning the Shute Shield this year. The rental market in Coogee at the moment is pretty hot and I imagine those English and Irish lads would be glad the Galloping Greens were paying for them.
Coogee is one of the most populated Irish suburbs in the world

shaquille_oatmeal

Frank Row (1)
They’ve built a place players want to go at the moment. They also have a lot of internationals who want to live in that part of Sydney.

Associating your Academy to the Shute Shield results is some top level trolling and delusion. If you want to look at your Academy production then Colts would be a better measure and Randwick on the season table finished 4th, 4th, 5th. Not bad, but let’s not try and write a cover letter about the program.
Especially for those who may be on the cusp of a good career, I've heard many who love the idea of moving to play. Sort of like a cultural exchange (but obviously better because it has rugby) plus we all know that the sunburnt backpackers love a bit of nearby Bondi so it's no surprise their is so much appeal to do so.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Well you get fringe pros who would rather play for Randwick and live in Sydney for a year over play for the Cornish Pirates or Jersey Reds in the UK.

Over the last decade it’s shown the Shute Shield winner is full of grown men. You don’t win it with 3/4 Aus U20s and listing Waratahs on your website that you never see aka Easts. You need a core group of 23-30yr olds that build cohesion through the year. Then it’s an added bonus if you can drop a Super Rugby player into the side. Norths & Randwick we’re built like this. Rats & Gordon the same when they won it.

Not all the players would be stand outs if thrown into a higher level. Their strength is the team as a whole.

deeplyamateurcoach

Frank Row (1)
The Wicks do seem to have a fair bit of strength throughout the grades, which means there is more to it than moolah.
all the credit to the wicks players and coaches but I dontt agree with this point necessarily. they brought/bought a lot of players in which effects all grades

if you have a competitive club like they did last year and keep most of your guys then logic serves you'll do alright across the grades. their 1s hooker and halfback from last year played in their 3s final i'm pretty sure.

deeplyamateurcoach

Frank Row (1)
But all clubs do this?
all clubs spend money on players and work to retain players. not all clubs have randwicks solid playing base, location, recruitment budget and network of connections. theyre not to blame for capitalising on these of course. good on them. but they do have more than most and it helped them do well across the grades.

Mr Arie

Herbert Moran (7)
Okay i think we can all now conclude that the players aren't being paid substantially more at Randwick than they would elsewhere. Any actual comments on the game?

Herman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Okay i think we can all now conclude that the players aren't being paid substantially more at Randwick than they would elsewhere. Any actual comments on the game?
I was surprised to learn this week that the Randwick Club was closed, without it bankrolling the rugby I can’t see how they’d possibly be paid substantial amounts of money. Do the Wicks have any form of clubhouse? I guess working in London means you miss some things…
In terms of the game, superb defence was the order of the day. Norths a worthy opponent.

Marlins

Frank Row (1)
Anyone who thinks that systemic SS success can be built on the back of a core of locals is living with ghosts of rugby past. All clubs trawl the world for semi pro players who want to have a crack and enjoy the lifestyle. Thats a pretty compelling combination. In the case of Randwick they also had the Hoiles/Turinui/Horne combo to sell - which has an inevitability around Waratah coaching team in the future.
Long story short - all clubs do it. Thats not to say locals aren't key, principally because they don't carry player points and there's no relocation costs. But all SS clubs (with the exception of Uni who can in fact offer the world) have finite resources.

deeplyamateurcoach

Frank Row (1)
I was surprised to learn this week that the Randwick Club was closed, without it bankrolling the rugby I can’t see how they’d possibly be paid substantial amounts of money. Do the Wicks have any form of clubhouse? I guess working in London means you miss some things…
In terms of the game, superb defence was the order of the day. Norths a worthy opponent.
clubhouse is the local rsl. they have office space there too.

their money like most clubs money comes from sponsors, events/games and benefactors.

HarryElite

Herbert Moran (7)
Two blues announced the re-signing of their head coach for another year. leaving just Sydney Uni I believe as the only club not to announce theyre new coach for 2024

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
Two blues announced the re-signing of their head coach for another year. leaving just Sydney Uni I believe as the only club not to announce theyre new coach for 2024
Waiting until after the World Cup. Allegedly their name is involved at Assistant Coach level and it would cause disruption to name them before hand