• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield BBQs and Canteens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It has come to recent attention that BBQ and Canteen offerings have slipped recently.

There have been complaints about no food apart from cold pies at Uni #1, No Steak sangers or Snags at Coogee Oval, No Shore man at North Sydney Oval.

If a club is not doing the BBQ, Canteen, Coffee Guy, Pies, or liquid refreshments well, then it is time to name and shame. Do so here.

Conversely, if there is something worthy to report to alert fellow Gaggerlanders about an exceptional BBQ or Canteen experience, then do so here as well.

Knowing that the canteen and BBQ money is going to a good cause, I don't mind visiting the canteen and throwing some hard earned cash over the counter, but some clubs clearly need to lift their game.

BBQ Considerations: Speed of service, quality of food, banter in the queue, product range, price, quality of cooking, quality of onions, condiment range, user friendliness of condiments, Bread vs Rolls, Operating hours, location of BBQ.

Canteen Considerations: Speed of service, quality and range of products, banter in the queue, prices, coldness of drinks, range of drinks and alcohol, customer service, operating hours.

Shute Shield Pie Considerations: Taste, Filling Hotness (Tongue burner, Just right - Easily scoffable, tepid, cold), Sauces, basicness (minus points for gourmet fillings, it is a meat pie), price.

Coffee Guy Considerations: Price, Speed of Service, Barista, Ability to not laugh at an order of a 1/2 decaf, skinny soy vanilla machiato latte in a large cup.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Sorry big arse,surprisingly I have to disagree.
If gourmet fillings were a minus,no one would need to provide sauce,would they?

The bird flogging the pies at Gordon is quite enthusiastic and I will vote for her lamb & whatever pie.
The chicken and leek sounded interesting but we all know that leek is a vegetable somewhere so....

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
Yep the Pies are Simone Logue....A pretty popular fancy catering company from the inner West. They are all top shelf - my fave is the Chunky beef (old school i Know)

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
My favourites are definitely the Emu Burgers at Penrith and the hamburgers at Souths, but the home made pies and sausage rolls at Coogee are hard to beat. Good BBQ at Norths last time I was there and the hot dogs at Concord are pretty good too. Good variety at TGM and, to be fair, Uni BBQ was good on Friday night.

The other thing that's disappeared at Coogee is the coffee cart, replaced by a dodgy machine in the canteen. The best coffee (IMO) is at Uni and Manly, but not at the grounds. It's worth a short walk from Uni to Campos in Missenden Road and Campos coffee is also available on the short walk from the ferry to Manly Oval.

Maybe we should consider the beverages on offer as well.
Another complaint for Coogee this year -- only beer on offer is VB.
Various rumours about the can being green and it being supplied by Coogee Bay Hotel as part of their sponsorship, but a bit of variety would be nice. And very irresponsible these days to not offer any light beer. Last home game Coogee also had a Robert Oatley wine tent which is a good innovation.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Off site options are cheating @The Coach.

I am a little concerned about the increasing "professionalism" of ground catering.
While the catering standards may increase, I am concerned that the funds raised by the club from the BBQ, for supporting Grass roots would be reduced to some pre-agreed % of net profits from the professional service provider.

Sure it is easy to just ring up Catering'R'Us and say "we are playing 4 grades against Pirates this weekend. Gates open at 9am.", but with the Club Stalwarts (or Juniors) volunteers running the BBQ, ALL profits get ploughed back into grass roots, not some contractually agreed figure.

There is something special about a steak sanger cooked by a Club Stalwart on a greasy old BBQ, and there would be few that would begrudge the $5 - $7 price of such lovingly crafted product.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Pie Watch

Fill the Gaps:

Eastern Suburbs: Professional Catering Mob.

Eastwood:

Gordon: Simone Logue. Chunky Beef, and Lamb and <something> is recommended.

Manly: Olivers Pies. Club Sponsor. Simple but quality offerings.

Northern Suburbs:

Parramatta:

Penrith: Forget Pies (Villis Pies IIRC) - Go for the World Famous Emu Burger.

Randwick: Hand made Pies from Professional provider but good.

Southern Districts: Fairly standard commercial pies like Mrs Macs, 4'n'Twenty or something

Sydney University: Have been known to offer luke warm pies.

Warringah: Fairly standard commercial pies like Mrs Macs or something.

West Harbour: Villis (IIRC) Sometimes served with fillings way too hot.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)

I am a little concerned about the increasing "professionalism" of ground catering.
While the catering standards may increase, I am concerned that the funds raised by the club from the BBQ, for supporting Grass roots would be reduced to some pre-agreed % of net profits from the professional service provider.

Sure it is easy to just ring up Catering'R'Us and say "we are playing 4 grades against Pirates this weekend. Gates open at 9am.", but with the Club Stalwarts (or Juniors) volunteers running the BBQ, ALL profits get ploughed back into grass roots, not some contractually agreed figure.

There is something special about a steak sanger cooked by a Club Stalwart on a greasy old BBQ, and there would be few that would begrudge the $5 - $7 price of such lovingly crafted product.

Absolutely correct Hugh.
One of the reasons I started following club rugby 30 years ago was because of the local village atmosphere -- BBQ, kids on the field at half time, no huge flags, friendly chats / banter with opposition supporters, etc and any moves away from these values devalues the "brand" (although I do hate that word).

PS: Sorry about the offsite options but I refuse to pay $4+ for a crap coffee when there's quality next door :(

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)

Agree with you Hugh. The MTB have stepped up our canteen offering this year and our turnover has more than doubled. Apart from the famous Two Blues Burger (voted by the ABC TV team as the best in Sydney Rugby) and steak/bacon/egg sangas, there are now Schnitzel burgers and occasionally Fish burgers. You can get a combo of burger/sandwich of your choice with hot chips and drink for $10! In addition there are fresh wraps, home made pumpkin soup, brownies and slices. All totally volunteer and everything hot is made to order so there's a short wait but the feedback is it's worth it.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Agree with you Hugh. The MTB have stepped up our canteen offering this year and our turnover has more than doubled. Apart from the famous Two Blues Burger (voted by the ABC TV team as the best in Sydney Rugby) and steak/bacon/egg sangas, there are now Schnitzel burgers and occasionally Fish burgers. You can get a combo of burger/sandwich of your choice with hot chips and drink for $10! In addition there are fresh wraps, home made pumpkin soup, brownies and slices. All totally volunteer and everything hot is made to order so there's a short wait but the feedback is it's worth it.
Are the schnitzel burgers breast or thigh meat?
Frozen or home made?
Fresh and Breast is best.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Well done the M2B's.

As the Coach has said, it is the Village feel that you get from a Volunteer run BBQ/Canteen that makes a huge difference.

There is also an element of pride in the product that you get from a volunteer that is absent from an employee going through the motions.

Hot home made Pumpkin Soup on a cold winters day at Merrylands RSL Park - Yummy. :)

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Absolutely correct Hugh.
One of the reasons I started following club rugby 30 years ago was because of the local village atmosphere -- BBQ, kids on the field at half time, no huge flags, friendly chats / banter with opposition supporters, etc and any moves away from these values devalues the "brand" (although I do hate that word).

PS: Sorry about the offsite options but I refuse to pay $4+ for a crap coffee when there's quality next door :(

Hasn't changed down at Manly coach, maybe Bergo will be good enough to bring some more meat pies with him on Saturday.

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Eastern Suburbs:

Eastwood: Great pies but it's hard to beat the Chinese in the club!

Gordon: Steak Pies were cold on the day I was there except the Chicken and Leek (so I had a beer and a packet of chips)

Manly: Olivers Pies probably the best pies in the comp

Northern Suburbs:

Parramatta:

Penrith: Go for the World Famous Emu Burger.

Randwick:

Southern Districts: The burgers are the best in the comp.

Sydney University: Dont get the pies when their Chicken Snitzel roll (in the club house) is one of the best feeds in the comp.

Warringah: Good bacon & egg roll

West Harbour: Nice Steak sandwich

tavytoo

Peter Burge (5)
anyone who travels as far south as shoalhaven rugby club will know that john reminis's prize winning pies and sausage rolls from his east nowra bakery are the best offerings ..possibly in the state ...even the mums and girlfriends like them.

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)

The $10 combos are bloody good value and taste great.

My kids don't complain about being hungry after trying to knock over one of the combo meals ,

Which means I get to watch the rugby in peace . Money well spent

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Also over the bridge in the Shoire they have a decent Dogs Eye from the Cronulla Pie Shop. No prefab muck there. And a tops burger too. But you can't get a decent beer unless you take your own. You get two versions of wifebeater (vb and carlton) and a sad imitation of Old.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The secret with the Bacon and Egg Roll is in the roll.

Too many clubs offer the Bacon and Egg Option in a sandwich format.

A freshly baked crispy roll is best. This beats the no crust hot dog roll, hands down.

Status
Not open for further replies.