• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Six Nations 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I "think" one more win plus Italy should enough for us to stay in the top 8, having not had time to play with the calculators.

In redoing the points I see a draw or win v France tomorrow sends your blokes to sixth & SA to seventh.

........Your lot beating Ireland certainly makes things interesting, Wales must really fancy their chances of making Pot 1 now.....

As you were, Ireland have more than doubled their lead over Wales.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Don't worry, you'll get us as well, and you'll lose a match you should have won against Argentina but then steal the win against us to go through as the 2nd seed, and avoid NZ through to the final.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
By geez that England/Wales test was a cracker, one of better tests I have watched in last year or so!!
And admit to being real envious of the people in the crowd, I would love it if rugby crowds here in Aus and NZ could learn how to support and enjoy games. Singing and cheering etc reverberating around the stadium, just seems like the atmosphere that we used to have at games(albeit with no singing). I know there is still plenty of banter etc, but still seems bloody good. And the rugby was proper test match rugby!!
I was also pleasantly surprised to see there doesn't seem to be many over the top ref decisions with high tackles etc, so hopefully it all keeps going1

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Shame to see Eddie Jones retire following the Italy game...

Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 2.01.21 pm.png

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm pretty much in the camp that whatever Eddie hates I like, but I think he has a point here. I don't want to see rugby go to an uncontested breakdown.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Eddie's done exactly what he needed to do.

The focus is now shifted away from how rubbish England were for 70 minutes, where they showed no ingenuity, no intelligence and in the end, no balls until Italy imploded.

Now rather than it being a comment on the match report, and in the analysis columns on Tuesday and Wednesday, it will make up the bulk of all coverage of this game.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^^ if it's not too much trouble do you think your lads could complete a Triple Crown, thereby sparing everyone else from never hearing the end of Ringinland becoming officially the most-wins-in-a-row-tier-1-nation-ever? It's not so much that I don't wanna see NZ lose that particular record, it's just that if we have to lose it then Anyone But England, even if it has to be South Africa or France (or Australia :)), however unlikely any of those possibilities seem right now.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Eddie's done exactly what he needed to do.

The focus is now shifted away from how rubbish England were for 70 minutes, where they showed no ingenuity, no intelligence and in the end, no balls until Italy imploded.

Now rather than it being a comment on the match report, and in the analysis columns on Tuesday and Wednesday, it will make up the bulk of all coverage of this game.

Spot on. Eddie is a master manipulator. I think he would make a "good" read successful (not good in a moral sense) politician. What he says neatly controls the discussion and takes it away from what he doesn't want to talk about. By the time anybody realises what has happened the chance has been lost and the next test has come along.

Done very neatly indeed.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I can't see the Scots beating the Poms, would love to see it as it would pretty much secure them the 6 Nations for the first time.

I'm going to expect it to come down to Ireland v England in the final match.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
We can beat England. We won't, but we can. I think Barclay summed it up well in the post match interview, you can't play like in the first half against Wales and expect to win.

To win, we'd need to keep the defense to the high standard, and we'd need to maintain or even improve our reasonably clinical finishing (primarily talking about in wide channels).

Watson needs to start and put Ford flat on his arse 2 or 3 times in the opening quarter.

Unfortunately, we're still missing 3 of our best 4 props (Nel, Dickinson and Sutherland) our best powerful running backrower in Strauss, plus Captain Courageous.

Which gives 3 very easily targeted areas to attack. Drive back the forward runners, squeeze penalties out of the scrum, and pressure every pass, run and kick that Price tries to execute.

That then puts way too much pressure onto Russell and Hogg to create something from sloppy ball well behind the gainline, and years of watching Quade Cooper and Danny Cipriani has shown us what that results in.

Also: We're not really in the box seat.

The likelihood is if we win, it'll be a bonus point loss for ingerland. If Ireland win against Wales, the top 3 looks like:

Ireland 14
England 14
Scotland 13

Which means we still need both a bonus point against Italy, but a big PD swing (particularly if it's Ireland who win), all that assuming you AND England don't score 4 tries in either game.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Scotland now fifth in the Rankings, their highest ever. Wales drop to seventh, France to eighth.

http://www.worldrugby.org/rankings/mru

After Round Four Scotland will have either 82.18 (England win by any margin), 84.18 (Scotland win by 1-15) or 85.18 (Scotland win by 15+)

Wales will have 79.66 (lose to Ireland by 15+), 80.16 (lose 1-15), 82.16 (win 1-15), or 82.66 (win 15+)

Ireland will have 82.68 (lose 15+), 83.18 (lose 1-15), 85.18 (win 1-15), or 85.68 (win 15+).

http://www.lassen.co.nz/pagmisc.php#hrh

So the Scots would get to fourth if they beat England & Wales beat Ireland.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
As long as we don't lose to Italy by more than 15, we're in the top 8.

I'd love to win the last two games, but regardless of triple crown/6 Nations wins etc. It's been a successful tournament.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Ireland will be really disappointed with that performance I reckon. They built up so much pressure with wave after wave but then couldn't get through the Welsh defense. Lacked a fair bit of creativity

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wales 22-9 Ireland so top-four is on for the Scots.

Unless, of course, they lose to England by 40.............

Wales to sixth & SA to seventh the only changes to the Rankings order & only slight changes to the Rankings Points:

1. New Zealand 94.78
2. England 91.02
3. Australia 86.35
4. Ireland 83.18 (-1.00)
5. Scotland 82.18
6. Wales 82.16 (+1.00)
7. South Africa 81.79
8. France 81.21 (+0.64)
9. Argentina 79.91

Italy (71.17) have now dropped to 15th behind Samoa (71.25). Georgia (74.14) are 12th just behind Japan (74.22) but even if they win their remaining ERC matches by huge margins can't pick up any Points. Does give them a pretty strong case for inclusion in the 6N, tho.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
How many Georgians are there playing in other European competitions? What would a Georgian 6N team look like?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I think the lack of backline depth would be badly exposed.

For example, We could be down a full backline this week. Laidlaw, Russell, Seymour, H Jones, Bennett, Taylor, Hogg.

But we're still left with a backline something like:

9. Price
10. Weir
11. Visser
12. Horne
13. Dunbar
14. Hoyland
15. Maitland

21. Pyrgos
22. Scott
23. Hughes/L Jones/ Basset (if he declares for us)

Which excluding the halves and Hogg, potentially isn't too much of a drop from best available, apart from the outside back replacement.

I can't see Georgia being able to do anywhere the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.