• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Six Nations 2020

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
England played some dumb rugby; they gave away many penalties (I'm looking at you Maro Itoje: the penalty magnet).
When they did string together some good play, they often came undone through unforced errors.
Wales capitalised on England's schoolboy errors, caught them napping, and scored some good tries.
LRZ has jet shoes; his pace blew England away, and his defence was very good.
Even if you take away the 14 points from the two "controversial" tries, Wales won by 2 points.
Just watching a recorded version of the game right now and "controversial" doesn't cover it.
1. ref says talk to your team and precisely the moment the team huddle breaks up he signals time on. No wonder there was acres of space to kick to and score a try. That was a travesty of justice and will see all future captains refuse to pull their teams in for the ref-initiated talk.
2. A knock on every day of the week but the try was allowed. Ridiculous.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Just watching a recorded version of the game right now and "controversial" doesn't cover it.
1. ref says talk to your team and precisely the moment the team huddle breaks up he signals time on. No wonder there was acres of space to kick to and score a try. That was a travesty of justice and will see all future captains refuse to pull their teams in for the ref-initiated talk.
2. A knock on every day of the week but the try was allowed. Ridiculous.

I agree up to a point FF (Folau Fainga'a), but generally a captain that gets told to talk to team will ask ref if he can do it now. A ref telling you to talk to team isn't saying game has stopped unless you ask him. By same token I do say it probably should be, but if ref says talk to team, if he doesn't say now, check!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
England are shockingly undisciplined at the moment. I think Itoje is a super player and I would want him in the Wallabies, but he's a total penalty magnet at the moment. I actually think it starts with the leadership. When you've got a troll for a coach and a captain who has always played on the edge you're going to come unstuck at some point. We suffered through the Cheika era of getting no favours from the ref and I think a large part of that was the perpetual whinging of Cheika and even Hooper at times.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
I agree up to a point FF (Folau Fainga'a), but generally a captain that gets told to talk to team will ask ref if he can do it now. A ref telling you to talk to team isn't saying game has stopped unless you ask him. By same token I do say it probably should be, but if ref says talk to team, if he doesn't say now, check!

Kinda stupid though, when would you expect him to talk to the team? If the ref relays a message that he wants passed on about a certain infringement the expectation is the captain does it right away to avoid further penalties and stoppages to the game

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Kinda stupid though, when would you expect him to talk to the team? If the ref relays a message that he wants passed on about a certain infringement the expectation is the captain does it right away to avoid further penalties and stoppages to the game

I agree mate, but if you watch in vast majority of cases you will hear the captain ask can I do it now?

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Only really if the halfback is there and ready to go. If you've made it into your huddle and the refs called time off then the assumption is time won't restart until both teams are set

Sets a dangerous precedent

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The quality of reffing seems to be dropping across the board. Or maybe there have just been a few outlandish incidents recently. I can forgive a cheeky 9 with a quick tap getting away with one, but that knock-on was next level.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Le Crunch match, England v France, is on nice & early at 3:45am AEDT, might be one to record, but definitely watch. French team important to see as they tour us very soon.

I'm hoping for an absolute smashing of the English here. French would have lost a lot of cohesion with Galthié being a bellend and covid and all that but they have some of their bigger names back in Vakatawa & Ntamack. Ntamack is starting from the bench, he was pretty rusty in his hit out last weekend for Toulouse so they have young gun Jalibert at 10, who I think can still get rattled easily (but he has a now COVID-free Antoine Dupont so who cares). Their forwards are good but honestly I think their backline is the best in the world currently. Terrifying stuff.

Eddie Jones has finally seen the light and benched Daly, who has been awful, for a more exciting Max Malins. Charlie Ewels gets a start in place of Lawes. Looking at their team they really need Farrell & Ford to be singing from the same sheet and Itoje not to fuck around. 'Cause this French team is a lot more potent than the Welsh, any aimless kicking will be punished.

Anyway, Allez Les Bleus!

(Also there's Scotland v Ireland on Sunday which should be an absolute belter as Scotland will start the closest to favourite as they have been in yonks).

15-Brice Dulin, 14-Teddy Thomas, 13-Virimi Vakatawa, 12-Gael Fickou, 11-Damian Penaud, 10-Matthieu Jalibert, 9-Antoine Dupont, 8-Gregory Alldritt, 7-Charles Ollivon (captain), 6-Dylan Cretin, 5-Paul Willemse, 4-Romain Taofifenua, 3-Mohamed Haouas, 2-Julien Marchand, 1-Cyril Baille
Replacements: 16-Camille Chat, 17-Jean-Baptiste Gros, 18-Dorian Aldegheri, 19-Cyril Cazeaux, 20-Cameron Woki, 21-Anthony Jelonch, 22-Baptiste Serin, 23-Romain Ntamack

15. Max Malins (Bristol Bears, 6 caps)
14. Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, 49 caps)
13. Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 37 caps)
12. Owen Farrell (Saracens, 91 caps) (C)
11. Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby, 64 caps)
10. George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 75 caps)
9. Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 107 caps)
1. Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 65 caps)
2. Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 29 caps)
3. Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears, 42 caps)
4. Maro Itoje (Saracens, 46 caps)
5. Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby, 19 caps)
6. Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons, 21 caps)
7. Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 31 caps)
8. Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 59 caps)
16. Jamie George (Saracens, 57 caps)
17. Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 26 caps)
18. Will Stuart (Bath Rugby, 10 caps)
19. Jonny Hill (Exeter Chiefs, 7 caps)
20. Ben Earl (Bristol Bears, 11 caps)
21. Dan Robson (Wasps, 10 caps)
22. Ollie Lawrence (Worcester Warriors, 4 caps)
23. Elliot Daly (Saracens, 50 caps)

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
There is no way the French team is making it into Australia this year. I don't think we will see any tours head south.

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
Cracking games this weekend.

England v France was amazing.
Scotland v Ireland a close second.

Good rugby and both very entertaining.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Cracking games this weekend.

England v France was amazing.
Scotland v Ireland a close second.

Good rugby and both very entertaining.
Both games were amazing weren’t they. Quality stuff. Sad to see England win but happy that France are fallible ahead of their tour this year.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
So on Monday CJ Stander announced his retirement from all forms of the game, only 30 years old. No major injury issues and in pretty good form. Big loss for Ireland and Munster, would have been expected to continue until at least the next RWC.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
So on Monday CJ Stander announced his retirement from all forms of the game, only 30 years old. No major injury issues and in pretty good form. Big loss for Ireland and Munster, would have been expected to continue until at least the next RWC.

What do you think about Dan Leo's recent comments that him returning to SA straight away makes his eligibility & playing for Ireland a farce?

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
What do you think about Dan Leo's recent comments that him returning to SA straight away makes his eligibility & playing for Ireland a farce?
Dan took his comments down, his heart is in the right place wanting players to be allowed to return to pacific nations after representing their 1 but was the wrong way to go about it.

To me, I really don't think CJ or Lowe should be capped for Ireland. Especially Lowe, not even sure how his getting a game his defensive reads are so poor.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
FRAvWAL should be a cracker of a match; France are in good form and Wales are playing for a grand slam.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Always love England losing, up the Irish. What’s a reverse triple crown called? Come home and coach the Tahs, Eddie.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Wow Wales must be king banter merchants, their opposition has received how many red cards this tournament? Jammy bastards. Strangest six nations ever.