• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

So where to from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Good point Disco. Wouldn't be a bad idea moving TPN.

My main concern is not the thrashing, it is that I think the other teams played poorly in the games we won. Particularly last week and the ABs game, where they continually dropped the ball. IMO we haven't played that well in any of our games, particularly in the backs.

I worry that if the ABs 'turn up to play', then we have very little chance.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
disco said:
Let's not forget that we smashed the Boks 49-0 in brisbane 2006 & nearly every single Springbok that night was part of the RWC 2007.

There is no need to hit the panic button, I'm as depressed about the result as any other Aussie but shit happens.

I'm not going to be to harsh on TPN as Moore really wasn't much better when he came on & if people are fed up with Palu then move TPN to number 8 as he is brilliant around the paddock.

I mentioned as much in a post over at TSF. I think you are right - he has skill, good hands, is quick and strong in defence and with ball in hand. I think he needs to be converted to a loosie, because we cannot keep him as a 2 as he is.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Ash said:
Surprised there hasn't been more mentioned of the aimless kick, chase and hope approach from the Wallabies, with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) perhaps the worst culprit - well, not really - if he had chased half his kicks he would've been the worst culprit.

I think I covered that in my Headless Chickens thread, though some don't think the backs are to blame for taking awful options, lacking composure, and producing a litany of schoolboy errors. Backs are wonderful. Backs never are too blame.

I've mixed feelings about AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). I don't think he's a fullback and its asking a bit much for him to be Latham, who took half a decade in test footy before he really became the fullback we know today. When I was watching AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Lote was rarely in support, and most of the time wasn't even in picture. Did anyone chase kicks all night ? It sums up the team's attitude. The backs are gloryhunters who think stuff like chasing kicks is beneath them. This attitude leads to all manner of stupidity - pushing passes & transferring pressure instead of settling the attack and accepting the tackle, throwing the ball aimlessly about inside your 22, throwing low percentage passes instead of drawing and passing. They just aren't prepared to roll up their sleeves, be disciplined, do the hard work and EARN it. My initial reaction when Robbie Deans came out with the 'play what's in front of you' mantra was 'don't encourage the bastards !'. These guys just don't get it.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
cyclopath said:
disco said:
Let's not forget that we smashed the Boks 49-0 in brisbane 2006 & nearly every single Springbok that night was part of the RWC 2007.

There is no need to hit the panic button, I'm as depressed about the result as any other Aussie but shit happens.

I'm not going to be to harsh on TPN as Moore really wasn't much better when he came on & if people are fed up with Palu then move TPN to number 8 as he is brilliant around the paddock.

I mentioned as much in a post over at TSF. I think you are right - he has skill, good hands, is quick and strong in defence and with ball in hand. I think he needs to be converted to a loosie, because we cannot keep him as a 2 as he is.

He was a loosie originally, as a schoolboy. I don't like the idea of him being Wallaby #8 - what message does that send ?

If they're serious about it, rip up his Wallabies and Waratahs contracts and make him earn a loose forward spot through good performances in club rugby.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
naza said:
Ash said:
Surprised there hasn't been more mentioned of the aimless kick, chase and hope approach from the Wallabies, with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) perhaps the worst culprit - well, not really - if he had chased half his kicks he would've been the worst culprit.

I think I covered that in my Headless Chickens thread, though some don't think the backs are to blame for taking awful options, lacking composure, and producing a litany of schoolboy errors. Backs are wonderful. Backs never are too blame.

I've mixed feelings about AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). I don't think he's a fullback and its asking a bit much for him to be Latham, who took half a decade in test footy before he really became the fullback we know today. When I was watching AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Lote was rarely in support, and most of the time wasn't even in picture. Did anyone chase kicks all night ? It sums up the team's attitude. The backs are gloryhunters who think stuff like chasing kicks is beneath them. This attitude leads to all manner of stupidity - pushing passes & transferring pressure instead of settling the attack and accepting the tackle, throwing the ball aimlessly about inside your 22, throwing low percentage passes instead of drawing and passing. They just aren't prepared to roll up their sleeves, be disciplined, do the hard work and EARN it. My initial reaction when Robbie Deans came out with the 'play what's in front of you' mantra was 'don't encourage the bastards !'. These guys just don't get it.
By some I guess you mean me. You must try reading posts, it helps. I admitted the backs were terrible. Several times. What I took exception to was the foolish position that it was primarily the backs that lost it. If you were happy with that forward performance, good luck to you. I most certainly was not happy with any aspect of the performance. We got snotted all over the park.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I also pointed out that our forwards were belted but that we kind of expect that, being Aussies. But in most of those situations our backs stand up, and they didn't. With two of our leadership group playing in the backs (Giteau and Morty) that is bad. I wasn't for a moment suggesting our forwards were paragons of rugby virtue and finesse :)

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s non-chase policy appeared deliberate - kick the ball, let the winger(s) put people on side, and move back ready for the return kick. Its how I'd play when one of my wingers is Lote....

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
cyclopath said:
naza said:
Ash said:

By some I guess you mean me. You must try reading posts, it helps. I admitted the backs were terrible. Several times. What I took exception to was the foolish position that it was primarily the backs that lost it. If you were happy with that forward performance, good luck to you. I most certainly was not happy with any aspect of the performance. We got snotted all over the park.

And I already explained that the rot started with the backs. Hey, I know, we're playing at altitude, we're awesome at that. Let's just throw the ball around a lot inside our own half !!

Our pack were out on their feet after 20 minutes. The rest was inevitable.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
NTA said:
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s non-chase policy appeared deliberate - kick the ball, let the winger(s) put people on side, and move back ready for the return kick. Its how I'd play when one of my wingers is Lote....

Even Spiro is awake to that now

If you watch the All Blacks their kick-and-chase game in their last two Tests was very successful because the winger positioned himself beside the fullback and ran on as soon as the ball was kicked to put pressure on the catcher. The Wallabies did not do this. Tuqiri is actually very good in the air. But where was his chase? He?s always complaining about not getting enough ball and so on. But he is a lazy player. Forget about his handling mistakes. He does very little work off the ball, particularly on the kick-chase game, and the Wallabies are at a disadvantage because of this.

Which is why Lote is the first I'd cull. Unfortunately I'm sure we'll read plenty in the paper about how he needs more 'touches'.

S

Sardyntjie

naza said:
Which is why Lote is the first I'd cull. Unfortunately I'm sure we'll read plenty in the paper about how he needs more 'touches'.

A crap Lote , is still better than anything else you have.When Lote is on song he is brilliant , and remember with the ELVs , you need wings that can kick the ball back...............

I know it helps if they have hands

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Sardyntjie said:
naza said:

A crap Lote , is still better than anything else you have.When Lote is on song he is brilliant , and remember with the ELVs , you need wings that can kick the ball back...............

:lmao: I know this game...um, yeah that Adi Jacobs guy is the best centre in South Africa. You guys don't miss Fourie one bit !

S

Sardyntjie

Hey............. :angryfire:

I will be screaming harder than most for the Aussies to win this Tri-Nations.

just so that I can say we put 50 points past the Tri-nations champs.....
Seriously , I want anyone to win it bar the ABs.

S

Spook

Morty had a poor game (who didn't) but I think he won the game last week and helped quite a bit in a few others. People are being quite fickle from one week to the next IMO. In saying that, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a superb defender out wide and is a very effective at turning over the ball O'Driscoll style.

I'm not sure if Hynes is the answer out wide either but he is solid.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Forgetting the last two games, Hynes would be in our top three best players in the international season so far. He needs to regain that early form.

I think Mitchell should start at FB against the ABs. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is doing nothing.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Maybe switch AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to the wing in place of CostaLote and have Mitchell at fullback, as disturbing as that is (Mitchell at fullback not dropping Lote). Think we need to find a fly-half and place him on the bench in case Gitts goes down early in the test. Not sure who is available though - Beale injured (we'll forget his tackling habits for the moment), Cooper ditto, Lealifano ?, Daruda (barely up to S14 level), SNK may be worth a shout.

R

Rugby Rat

Spare the criticism of those who have recently returned to the starting 22 from injury.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Aussie D said:
Maybe switch AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to the wing in place of CostaLote and have Mitchell at fullback, as disturbing as that is (Mitchell at fullback not dropping Lote). Think we need to find a fly-half and place him on the bench in case Gitts goes down early in the test. Not sure who is available though - Beale injured (we'll forget his tackling habits for the moment), Cooper ditto, Lealifano ?, Daruda (barely up to S14 level), SNK may be worth a shout.

Barnes is out injured in all probability. Lealiifano is recovering from shoulder reconstruction surgery. Beale and Cooper are injured. Hilgendorf is off overseas. Daruda is unproven, or arguably proven not up to S14 level at this stage. Mackay is off playing in France. Fairbanks, who is a part time 5/8 at best, is also not up to that level.

SNK and Hangers are all there is left, and Hangers was very average in the PNC (Pacific Nations Cup).

F

formeropenside

Ash said:
Aussie D said:

Barnes is out injured in all probability. Lealiifano is recovering from shoulder reconstruction surgery. Beale and Cooper are injured. Hilgendorf is off overseas. Daruda is unproven, or arguably proven not up to S14 level at this stage. Mackay is off playing in France. Fairbanks, who is a part time 5/8 at best, is also not up to that level.

SNK and Hangers are all there is left, and Hangers was very average in the PNC (Pacific Nations Cup).

Its obvious guys, its staring us all in the face and has been for years. Sharpe. Nathan Sharpe. He's the ideal man for the number 21 jersey; he has wanting to move in a few slots for a long time, and has proven experience in the 12 position (if not the 12 jersey).

Think about it. His kicking game could be a concern though.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Ash said:
Aussie D said:

Scott Staniforth? Edit: buggered knee, again!

Tom Carter?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Aussie D said:

I actually think Daruda is a very good 12. Cross was at his best with him inside him.

I expect the side to be the same with Mortlock at 12, Cross at 13, there aren't too many real options

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sardyntjie said:
Hey............. :angryfire:

I will be screaming harder than most for the Aussies to win this Tri-Nations.

just so that I can say we put 50 points past the Tri-nations champs.....
Seriously , I want anyone to win it bar the ABs.
Well, I want the All Blacks to win it. The Wallabies had the easiest fixture list in this year's 3 Nations and the Bokke the most difficult one. The next one the decider.

For me its a bit like WP or Bulle, if we dont get it , I want my biggest rival to get it. Rather Bulle then the Guppies. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.