• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Social Media Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I follow all the Super Rugby teams on twitter, why wouldn't you if you're a fan of any team. That's the quickest way to get any kind of info competition related. I only support one of them.

T

TOCC

Social media exposure is a quantitative value these days, social media can be used to increase band awareness with one obvious factor for sporting teams is the added value that this places on corporate sponsorship. Social media also benefits by providing a targeted audience who are already interested in your product, the potential benefit for sporting teams is increasing crowd attendance and merchandise sales. There are a number of other benefits derived from placing a strong focus on fan engagement through social media, and that's why marketing expenditure and corporate focus on this industry has increased dramatically in recent years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Interesting numbers on Linkedin as well, think it really is only the die hard fans will follow their teams on this platform.
Rebels - 2464
NSW - 1906
QLD - 3679
ACT - 905
Force - 1818

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Yep, but I presume that teams would have different objectives on social media. The metrics that are most valuable to them will depend on this, as will their content. If your goal is maximising the number of followers then your content will be quite different than if your goal is to enhance loyalty and connection with genuine supporters. Don't think it's really possible to do both well at the same time. Having too much focus on the former, even if you get high engagement from it, could work against the latter and I think that would be a mistake.

Completely agree with your point about storytelling/narrative.

Good content should do both ideally. But yeah, there should be a specific purpose with each individual campaign/storyline/piece of content/whatever. And to an extent that's where different platforms come in as well. Your Snapchat audience will be very different to that on Facebook, which will be different again to those who mainly engage through EDMs.

The end game for the Soup teams will be to increase membership numbers and to convince sponsors that they've a viable brand that will bring money in.
You could start doing some work with membership numbers, social media likes, sponsors and sponsorship dollars etc. to try and work out how effective each team are being with their social strategies. Can't really be bothered though tbh.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
More bandwagon support at times due to success. The type of followers that will watch the team in a big final but rarely if ever go to a game. I'm sure the gap would close if the Rebels had a dominant couple of years.

Its true that its not a fair comparison storm v rebels due to the huge disparity in success.

But the bandwagon effect happens to all codes, whether it be AFL NRL or Super Rugby.

Oddly enough, I most engage on Linkedin, and I see a a far healthier representation of Super Rugby fans then what is shown by the tables on this thread..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I follow all the Super Rugby teams on twitter, why wouldn't you if you're a fan of any team. That's the quickest way to get any kind of info competition related. I only support one of them.

I also fit into this category. I imagine that particularly on twitter there would be a lot of people who follow all five Australian teams (and plenty of the NZ/SA teams too).

As liquor box also said, there'd be plenty of people who follow teams on multiple social media platforms.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I also fit into this category. I imagine that particularly on twitter there would be a lot of people who follow all five Australian teams (and plenty of the NZ/SA teams too).

As liquor box also said, there'd be plenty of people who follow teams on multiple social media platforms.

My suggestion for best social media accounts to follow if you're an Aussie Rugby fan:
@superrugby (don't follow @superrugbyaus/@superrugbynz, they're just run by the national body and their TOTW etc. has no substance)
@Wallabies
@RupaNews
@whichever team you support

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My suggestion for best social media accounts to follow if you're an Aussie Rugby fan:
@superrugby (don't follow @superrugbyaus/@superrugbynz, they're just run by the national body and their TOTW etc. has no substance)
@Wallabies
@RupaNews
@whichever team you support

It's twitter. I think you may as well follow all of them. The content is all somewhat different and in my opinion more information is better.

On a platform like Facebook I only follow the Waratahs and Wallabies because I'm generally after different content there and not relying on it as a source of news.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
It would be interesting to have a look at the differences between countries and indeed areas within countries with regard to the use of the various social media platforms. Not just the age demographic.

For instance I have only recently signed up to Facebook, and only really to maintain contact with relative and friends around the country. I have no involvement with Twitter, Snapchat or any other platforms which I have no idea about. That isn't going to change either as I have no interest in them at all. This is the same with virtually all the people I know locally, with Facebook usage generally dropping within the group age demographic 40-50. My kids 15-19 use F/book rarely, twitter not at all with Snapchat being the weapon of choice.
So are the numbers in Australia lower because of this lack of engagement in the Rugby demographics with the platforms being measured, when adjusted for the size of the supporter base? Or are they equivalent? The raw number like raw statistics are pretty useless without a discussion/analysis of errors, and deviant factors.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
It would be interesting to have a look at the differences between countries and indeed areas within countries with regard to the use of the various social media platforms. Not just the age demographic.

For instance I have only recently signed up to Facebook, and only really to maintain contact with relative and friends around the country. I have no involvement with Twitter, Snapchat or any other platforms which I have no idea about. That isn't going to change either as I have no interest in them at all. This is the same with virtually all the people I know locally, with Facebook usage generally dropping within the group age demographic 40-50. My kids 15-19 use F/book rarely, twitter not at all with Snapchat being the weapon of choice.
So are the numbers in Australia lower because of this lack of engagement in the Rugby demographics with the platforms being measured, when adjusted for the size of the supporter base? Or are they equivalent? The raw number like raw statistics are pretty useless without a discussion/analysis of errors, and deviant factors.

Interesting that you talk of the drop off in usage.

I wonder how many people "liked" a page and dont care about it anymore?

I am sure a lot of non rugby people liked the ARU prior to the world cup but now once again dont care

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Social media exposure is a quantitative value these days, social media can be used to increase band awareness with one obvious factor for sporting teams is the added value that this places on corporate sponsorship. Social media also benefits by providing a targeted audience who are already interested in your product, the potential benefit for sporting teams is increasing crowd attendance and merchandise sales. There are a number of other benefits derived from placing a strong focus on fan engagement through social media, and that's why marketing expenditure and corporate focus on this industry has increased dramatically in recent years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a fan of social media as it provides information. Hard work is still what provides the return and allows it to work though.

I have seen so many people think great have a face book account, or even some excellent web presence and things will happen - and it doesn't.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
It is true that someone might follow a team using all three - Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, but it's very difficult for the researchers to know how many people follow just one or multiple. So therefore the total followers figure is not strictly equal to "fans" as one fan could equal 3 followers.

But their analysis is still valid. It would be more accurate and meaningful if they could separate multiple followers but the above analysis is much more simple and easily accessible data. We can understand it for what it is and that a certain % will follow on multiple platforms. There should be a higher score for reaching a fan with 3 platforms but it's debatable how to score this.

This is a simple quantitative analysis with those drawbacks so could be analysed deeper.

Sent from my SM-A500L using Tapatalk

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
Social media is actual very important and given that Super Rugby teams 'should be' being at least partially privatized these days, business savvy owners like those in the Melbourne Storm will see the absolute necessity in reaching their fans where they are in the places they feel comfortable. I follow the Chiefs and also get Facebook feeds from other NZ teams. I get live in-game updates of scores, season ticket offers and links to news articles. Of course highlight links and reminders when games are on.

You have to remember that heaps of fans of the Storm or Rebels may not live in Melbourne - they may have moved to Sydney or abroad and social media is how they find out news and when to tune in to watch the games. It is crucial to getting the broadcast numbers up

Sent from my SM-A500L using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.