• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

South Africa restores race quotas

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Oh I was, no confusion about that.

This being the centenary of ANZAC & our nations being at least cousins if not brothers, next time I'm chatting with GOAT & the boys I'll see what we can do in terms of letting your blokes in on some of our beating Sethfricka action :). Nah, yeah, bro, you're wilkmomen (see how I snuck the Afrikaans in there, makes it just that tiiiiny bit more ironic).

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
It's messy, that's what it is. It's discriminatory to the White players who deserve to get picked but don't, balanced by the advantage they get by having greater opportunity to develop.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
They're baaaaaack:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/31638936

Question for our SA members: is this for real or is someone up for re-election/ re-appointment/ re-getting his name back in the papers?

How fucking degrading. There are so many players in SA that can walk into international rugby on their own merits and not skin color or ethnic background. Poor bastards now get stereotyped as the token black fella. It's wrong for progressive society and it is wrong for the individual.

Racism can be thrown from all fucking directions and this shit just proves that point.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^ I'm inclined to agree but mindful of the fact that SA has baggage that most of the rest of the world doesn't. Hence I'm genuinely interested to know how South Africans, whether resident or expat, see this playing out.

But, yes, the first name that came to mind reading this was Errol Tobias.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
But, yes, the first name that came to mind reading this was Errol Tobias.

There was a comedy skit at the time showing a chess board with the all blacks on one side and the all whites on the other with a token black pawn.

SARU chief executive Jurie Roux stressed the move to expand black participation is "not a quota system". If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck it must be a dog.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If the Saffers want change, then demanding it at the top is not the way to make it happen. Engage the target communities at the junior level.

Throw development resources at them and their cohorts as they progress on the Pathway so that the desired effect happens organically rather than by regulation.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^ as with @ruggo's earlier & similar comment I'm inclined to agree on the basis that if the claimed 80% of juniors are black then assuming the good at rugby gene is as common among the black community as the white then surely time alone will produce the desired outcome without needing to artificially speed things up.

But, and also as above, I'm mindful,of SA's additional baggage vs most of the rest of the world so not entirely sure whether to put this in the reverse-racism or affirmative action column (but leaning towards it being a bit of both).

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
They're baaaaaack:

Question for our SA members: is this for real or is someone up for re-election/ re-appointment/ re-getting his name back in the papers?

I may reply on the substance of the article some other time, but the reporting on the issue seems a little weird to me.

Here is the press release which sparked the conversation:

http://www.sarugby.net/article.aspx?category=sarugby/pressreleases&id=2874784

No mention is made about targets for 2015, simply 2019. The claims regarding 2015 seem to have originated from AAP article which in turn is the basis of the BBC article above, but none of the SA media houses has run with that part of the story. I find that very strange.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^ wow, those are two utterly different articles supposedly from the same source document. Clearly someone's got an agenda here............

T

TOCC

A hidden agenda in South Africa. Rugby union? Never!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
They're baaaaaack:

I am not surprise to see this. Meyer with his obsession for Bulle & big players overlook players of colour who can make the Bok team on merit.

The SA links to Rouxs explanation.
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SARU-50-blacks-merely-a-target-20150225
SARU: 50% blacks merely a target

2015-02-25 10:20
share this

6e00de65dd844edaa8552eab1edc88b8.jpg

Jurie Roux (Gallo Images)
Herman Mostert - Sport24
Cape Town - South African Rugby Union (SARU) CEO Jurie Roux on Tuesday said quotas only exist in the Vodacom and Community Cup tournaments and that there were no plans to enforce it at higher levels.
CLICK HERE to read more on SARU's strategic transformation plan
Roux was speaking at a media briefing in Cape Town outlining SARU’s Strategic Transformation Plan for the next five years.
A media report late last year first exposed SARU’s plans for rapid transformation. The report stated that SARU wanted the Springbok team to be made up of 50% black players by 2019.
Roux on Tuesday insisted that it was never about setting specific quotas, and having 50% players of colour by 2019 was merely a target.
“There was never a quota. These are the targets that we are setting ourselves as a federation. It’s a collaborative process. This is where we want to get to,” said Roux.
He insisted that government did not set them the goal of having 50% black representation.
“We’ve all got to work together to get to that number and if we don’t get there, then we have only ourselves to blame. It’s not like somebody’s going to hold us responsible. We set the 50 (target), nobody else.”
Roux did admit that the 50% target by 2019 would apply to Super Rugby, Currie Cup as well as the national team, but emphasised that is was merely a target, not a specific quota.
Roux said the country’s provincial unions all back the plans and will play their part in developing more black players.
While the target is to have 50% players of colour in teams, Roux admitted that getting more ethnic black players would be a priority.
“We are obviously chasing black African players a lot more because we’ve got a massive base of (coloured) players, especially in the Western Cape, that has come through in any case.
“The Mecca of African black rugby sits in the Eastern Cape and we’ve got to get that organised to make sure that those players come through. And that’s why we’ve got three academies in that area. Because that’s the only way we can do that. And we’ve had success with it already. Hopefully some of them will play for the Kings next year and at different levels.”
The end goal is that by 2019, 60% of the players of colour would constitute black African players.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The problem for rugby in SA starts at our roots. The real rugby supporter (not the PC/TV one) will know rugby culture starts here and thats where the challenges are
Roux
“Rugby is massively transformed but we know we have challenges: only one in 35 schools in provinces such as KZN, Mpumalanga, Limpopo and North West play rugby for example, which provides unique challenges for those provinces compared to the Western and Eastern Cape where 60% of school rugby is played.”

Status
Not open for further replies.