• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Hey rugbyfollower, i wouldn't write the Tahs off either mate, i just think that they will finish lower than second on the ladder based on their draw for the final three rounds. They have some really good games coming up, as we know everyone loves to hate the Tahs and their games against Aggies and Albury will be matches of the round.

It will definitely be interesting to see who makes the GF this year. I would think Aggies would be favourites, but not standouts. I think Albury and Tahs are the two teams who will be in contention, although CSU being guided around by Paul Hood in finals footy will be dangerous. I'm really looking forward to the finals series, it's the closest the comp has been for years and is only a good thing for the zone.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Round 14

Premier Division

Griffith (5) v CSU (3) So, this is a bit of a bogey game for the Reddies. They are travelling to the MIA to play the Blacks at the Coro Club and the Griffith boys will be keen to make a dent in CSU in this one. My gut feeling is that CSU will get away with a win over there, but Griffith will play this tough early on. Fitness will hold CSU in good stead to play this one out.

Tahs (2) v Aggies (1) MATCH OF THE ROUND. Rematch of the last two GF’s here and top of the table clash, it doesn’t get any better than this. These two teams have been neck and neck for the last two seasons, and this showdown is going to set the tone for finals time. Tahs have the classier finishers and genuine pace in their outside backs, but the Aggies forward pack is damaging and with Pete Armstrong running behind them, they are a dangerous team. I wouldn’t expect the 51-7 shellacking that the Aggies handed out to the Tahs in round 5, but I think the College boys can tough this one out. Defence will be the key for both teams, Aggies will play pressure footy, while Tahs capitalise on ANY mistakes.

RARC (6) v Albury (4) These two teams have similar mentalities, but different goals coming into this match. They both like hard forwards play, good territorial rugby with hard running centres. Sadly for RARC, they haven’t had the season they would have liked, and for them, this match is all about pride. The Steamers will be looking to work on the finer points of their game with a view to finishing as high as they can on the ladder. Look for the matchup between Shaun Megahey and Justin Wheatley, these two played rep footy with each other as Colts here in SIRU and this will be interesting to watch.

First Division

Tumut (3) v City (5) The Chapman brothers always like hosting each other, and this game in the hills will be no different. It’s been bloody cold here recently, and the Boiled Lollies won’t be looking forward to playing the mountain men this week.

Young (4) v Leeton (6)
The Leeton forwards have put in good performances all season and I would see this as a strong platform for them against the Yabbies. There is a muddy cricket pitch in the middle of Cranfield Oval and if the Phantoms can defend solidly through the middle, they may be able to wear the Yabbies out. I think the younger Yabbies outfit will handle it though.

Coota (2) v Temora (1) Top of the bottom table clash! This game will go a long way to deciding the finals fortunes of both clubs. Temora have really missed captain/coach Bill McCrone but have a handy back up in Casey Jordan. The Temora forward pack have been impressive this year with some solid scrummaging week in week out. The Tri-Colours have struggled after the retirements of some key players, but they still have the depth to perform solidly every week. This is a tight one, both teams have the ability to win this game and it could go either way.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Round 14 Scores

Premier Division

1st Grade
Griffith 31 bt CSU 26
Tahs 29 bt Aggies 14 This game was nil all at half time!
Albury 78 bt RARC 5

2nd Grade
Ag College 24 d Waratahs 17, Albury 29 d RARC 0, Griffith 28 d CSU 20

First Division

1st Grade
Tumut 49 bt City 21
Young 24 bt Leeton 15
Coota 37 bt Temora 17

2nd Grade
Tumut 32 d City 12, Young 30 d Leeton 0, Temora 32 (first win of the season) d Coota 12

3rd Grade
Griffith 41 d CSU 7, RARC 30 d Albury 0, Waratahs 6 d Ag College 3

Under 17s
Young 31 d Waratahs 0, Griffith 30 d CSU 0

rugbyfollower

Frank Nicholson (4)
csu reality check

it will be interesting to see how csu go this weekend. I think they have had the easier draw of the season. they had all the toughest games at home in the first round except tahs. In the second round they have had them all away and it is plain to see that they coasted along in the first round. losses to albury (away), griffith (away) in the 2nd round if they lose the next two games to tahs and ag college which i think will happen, and griffith beat rarc at home in the last round then csu wont make the finals. thoughts anyone?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I think Tahs will get up this weekend. CSU have played some good footy so far, but just aren’t keeping pace with the top 3 sides (neither are RARC or Griffith really) and if the Tahs perform the way they did last week, CSU won’t get close to them.

Reddies have set themselves a solid base for next year and will be better for having played the tough games they have this year. They just haven’t had the depth in certain positions to perform week in week out, even though their second grade team is pretty handy. If you look at the top 6 bottom 6 scenario, the teams are basically playing finals footy once the competition splits, which is great for the spectators and ensures there are no easy rides into the finals.

rf – it would be a tough call to say that Reddies won’t make the finals. Griffith would need bonus point wins against Albury and RARC to make it while CSU would need two losses. I think they would be very unlucky not to make it. They might get bundled out in week one, but they’ll be there.

rugbyfollower

Frank Nicholson (4)
I see yeah, I just thought the teams wins and losses reset after the split even if most tables show the total accumulation for the year? im not sure i might be wrong, and bonus points and those sort of things count for much more?? I just thought that if griffith beat rarc at home then they will have won 2 games vs (csu & rarc) and csu will have only won 1 vs (rarc). Either way it will be great finals series all up. It is interesting that if csu & ag college make it into finals, that is a great achievement for the university sides to have both teams in a finals series. was wondering yourmatesam if you were going to stick with your predictions about final standings?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I think my predictions are out the window mate!! I would expect the ladder to stay roughly as it is.

What are your thoughts?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Round 15

With only two rounds remaining in the regular season, the top four are set for the finals. The only thing that can change now is who is positioned 1st or 2nd and who is positioned 3rd or 4th in both divisions. This has an impact on the finals series because all the teams know who they are playing against in week one of the finals and should be preparing for those games (should be).

Premier Division

This week is an interesting round for the premier division, as all the top 3 teams play the bottom 3 teams.

CSU (4) v Tahs (1) Old rivalries abound here. CSU have quite a knack of knocking Tahs off their pedestal when it counts but I doubt this will be the case at Beres Ellwood Oval on Saturday. Tahs have shown with their win against Aggies last week that they are fired up for the GF!! Solid performances from the likes of Dan Selmes will hold Tahs in good stead to counter the Reddies persistently accurate kicking game. CSU can scrap, but I think this is a bridge too far for them.

Aggies (2) v RARC (6) Aggies were brought down to earth in a big way by Tahs last weekend and they will want to step up against the RARC boys who would love nothing more than scalping the premiership favourites this weekend. Discipline could be an issue in this match as both teams carry those uncompromising players who won’t stand down. Aggies will have a hard day at the office this weekend, but should come away with the bacon in this one.

Albury (3) v Griffith (5) This is Albury’s last home game for the year and they will want to make the most of it. Murrayfield is a fortress at the best of times, but never more so than when the bureau tip some rain. Griffith can’t be looking forward to this one and will need to show their best form to bag a win here. My money lies with Albury as they coninue building towards their finals campaign. Look out Tahs and Aggies.

First Division

Young (4) v Tumut (3) This is a preview of finals week one for these two and the winner will probably hold the psychological advantage come finals time. Tumut’s forwards need to show up and play and the Yabbies need to maintain possession and treat the ball with respect. I think this is going to be a really close fixture, but will tip Tumut by a bull’s nose…

Leeton (6) v Coota (2) Coota would be stoked about their win over the Tuskers last week and will take that confidence into this match against the Phantoms. If the Tri-Colours can work on their commitment at the breakdown, they will be solid performers come finals time. Look for the Phantoms scrum to push Coota around the park for the first half of the match. Also, the match up between the respective #7's (Bill Bevan - Leeton and Alex Hardie - Coota) will be one to look forward to as both are courageous at the breakdown and love running in loose play.

City (5) v Temora (1) The Tuskers will be smarting from their loss to Cootamundra last week and have two weeks to prepare for the rematch. Casey Jordan was a standout for Temora in their loss last week, but he needs the rest of his backline to run with him for the remainder of the season. This will be a tight contest in the forwards and I think City will have it over the Tuskers, but Temora have some good options in Swanston, Breust and Jordan as finishers.

Rumour Mill . . . Who is the ex-Sydney First Grader coaching City in 2012?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Round 15 Scores

Well rugbyfollower nailed it - wet weather footy! Although most grounds would have been dry by kick off time, there was plenty of rain about last night and this morning.

It's a pity the players don't all wear long sprigs or we may have seen some decent games.

Premier Division

First Grade

Tahs 20 bt CSU 17
Aggies 66 bt RARC 14
Albury 46 bt Griffith 22

2nd Grade;
CSU 10 d Waratahs 7, Albury 28 d Griffith 24, Ag College 34 d RARC 0

First Division

First Grade

Tumut 5 bt Young 0
Coota 18 bt Leeton 15
Temora 31 bt City 24

2nd Grade;
Tumut 5 d Young 0, Leeton 44 d Cootamundra 7, Wagga City 22 d Temora 12

3rd Grade- McMullen Cup;
RARC 22 d Wagga City 5, Young 0 drew with Waratahs 0, Hay 31 d Ag College 5

Under 17s;
Young 34 d Cootamundra 7, CSU 26 d Waratahs 21

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Just some thoughts on the finals series...

Ok, so we know who is playing who now, so all teams should be working towards week one of the finals series.

FYI - Finals venues are:

20.8.11 Week One - Conolly Park, Wagga Wagga
27.8.11 Week Two - Temora Recreation Ground, Temora
3.9.11 Week Three (GF) - Conolly Park, Wagga Wagga

After Tahs put 15 points on the College boys, I thought the competition was thrown wide open, but lo and behold, Tahs failed to put CSU away to throw it open even further!!

Tahs lead 17-0 at oranges and the game was tied at 17 all with seconds to go when Tahs were awarded a penalty 30m out on the 15m line. Tahs elected to kick (gutsy considering they had only managed to kick 1 from 3 all day) and they got there in the end.

CSU had a few first grade players missing on a punters club trip, but Tahs really need to step up if they want to win back to back GF's.

Albury Coach Don Cameron put the wind up his boys this week, telling them that if they couldn't put 20 points on Griffith at Murrayfield, that they could kiss their finals chances goodbye. Well ... they got there (by 4 points), but he has a point. Griffith are not in contention for the finals and if Albury are fair dinkum, then they should have put four tries on Griffith. Keep in mind, Griffith held Aggies to 14-12 a few weeks ago.

Before this weekend, I saw a top three fighting it out for the finals (Tahs, Aggies, Albury in no particular order). But after CSU's effort against the Tahs, Albury should not take them lightly in week one of the finals. Also, Tahs and Aggies rematch (again) of last year's GF will be making both sides nervous. They have to win this one to avoid a rampaging Albury or a dangerous CSU.

In fairness to Aggies, Albury and Tahs, CSU's final round match against Aggies will define their season so far. They will be at full strength, at home and have no excuses. I'd expect Albury to be watching this one very closely.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)

Rumour Mill . . . Who is the ex-Sydney First Grader coaching City in 2012?

Yes, it's good news for the Boiled Lollies isn't it mate!

Expect to see some handy players make the switch. Also, watch what happens with the Under 17's teams too.

Ricky is a quality coach, great fella and will do well at City in 2012. Recruitment in some key positions will really help them out next year and Ricky will definitely have them fit.

I didn't expect City to let anyone know about this until after the season though!!

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Round 16 - Final Competition Round

PREMIER DIVISION

Aggies (2) v CSU (4) This could be a real scrappy affair, the surface at Beres Ellwood is not holding up well and could determine some key points on Saturday. This clash is traditionally a very passionate game because it allows bragging rights at the uni, however Aggies already have the wood on CSU this season. CSU will welcome the return of Paul Hood for this clash and Aggies will want to atone for their belting by Tahs a few weeks ago. The Reddies put together a solid second half performance against Tahs last weekend and will want to extend this for the full 80mins on Saturday. I haven’t seen Aggies for a few weeks, but would expect their forward pack to be firing on all cylinders. The interesting matchup will be between Paul Hood and Dan Moloney (opposing 5/8’s), Shoody is a very experienced 10, while Dan is still learning the ropes (particularly in these tight games). Pete Armstrong on Jack Burey will also be one to watch, as Pete (Aggies) is the standout 9 in the zone, with Jack the up and comer, also Joe ‘Forever Young’ Tora vs Dave Armstrong will be great to watch as they are two physical players who lead from the front. If it rains here Friday night, this game is anyone’s.

Griffith (5) v RARC (6) It’s fitting that these guys are playing each other in the final round. This game has no bearing on the final four, and is a good opportunity for both teams to tough it out against each other and see where they stand. Griffith took a full strength team to Albury last week and limped home with their tails between their legs, meanwhile RARC hosted Aggies and got belted for their efforts. If you were a gambling man, it’s hard to go past Griffith at home, but considering their season is over, they may struggle to find the numbers to man up against the RARC.

Tahs (1) v Albury (3)
MATCH OF THE ROUND Grudge Match, plain and simple, these guys can’t stand each other and there’s plenty to play for in this one!! Albury are ramping up for the finals, and if they want to win the GF, they will have to beat Tahs (at some point) to do it. Tahs looked to have improved after belting Aggies, but just didn’t fire against CSU last week. Albury 5/8 Justin Wheatley and Fullback Jim Lollback have a sweet kicking game between them, but will want to be accurate if they kick to Dan Selmes and Jack Meagher and risk the counter attack. This game will be won in the forwards as both teams have a solid driving maul, and will look to capitalise on this strength when they are 15m or less from the try line. The maul will be used to set up a strong attacking base for both teams as they look to let their backs run riot. Will Pat Barrett’s hammie get through the warm up this week, will Jayden Stanton melt under pressure, should Xavier Chigwidden be wasted at 9? These are questions that Tahs need to be asking before Saturday, while Albury will want to make sure that Justin Wheatley, Matt Cook and Jim Lollback are on fire in the backline, because they’ll need to be to get up this weekend. The more I think about this match, the more great matchups I see. . . #15 - Selmes v Lollback, #10 - Stanton v Wheatley, #1 - Roche v Nixon, #7 - Francis v Levett, #13 - Meagher v Cook. This really will be a great game, I can’t wait for it!!

FIRST DIVISION

Tumut (3) v Leeton (6) Tumut will relish having a home game before they go on the road for the finals, after their muddy affair at Cranfield Oval last week, I reckon the Bulls will be stoked to be at home. The return of the Graham brothers has helped Tumut and they should continue to build on their form running into this match. Leeton have a tough task, this is their biggest road trip of the year, and they have to do it in the final round. Dave Sinclair will use this match as a final send off for his boys as they start their pre-season on the bus trip back to the Skull Cave.

Coota (2) v City (5)
Coota shouldn’t take City lightly in this one, although City haven’t fulfilled their potential this year, they will want to avoid the wooden spoon in this one. The forwards battle should be fairly even, Coota’s backrow may have the edge here particularly with the likes of Alex ‘Axle’ Hardie making good yards around the park. Coota’s final home game of the year will be a big one and they’ll be out to belt City to prove that they have the muscle to win the GF. City can score points when they put their minds to it, but they just don’t seem to have the patience or game plan required to win games.

Temora (1) v Young (4) Bill McCrone was finally able to crack a smile when his boys put it over City last week. The Tuskers have been frustrated since Bill’s injury and having Josh Breust and Casey Jordan fire last week was an encouraging sign for the boys coming into finals time. Young need to match it with Temora to show Tumut they mean business for next week, particularly in the forwards. Michael McGee will have to lead from the front and it will be a good showdown between him and Temora’s Adam Manning in the forwards.

rugbyfollower

Frank Nicholson (4)
good preview sam, seems like there will be some tough rugby played. I heard a few tahs are leaving at the end of the season so they really want to finish on a high before a possible rebuild phase next season. look out for there front row this weekend, roche, finucane and daley have dominated every front row in the comp and all played siru this year. also number 8 elliot is out with work. definately a game to be won in the forwards with the backs finishing of some slick moves. if its a nice day then both backlines should be racing around. I fancy tahs at home by 10 but it could go down to the wire. Aggies really need to wallop CSU if they want to show albury and tahs that they have got some finals form, but csu could steal it with some momentum built on last week's second half performance. aggies wont want to play tahs next week after losing so it will be a cracker.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Thanks rugbyfollower.

Tahs wanted to finish on a high with back to back GF wins in 2009 too, it's a big ask to win back to back and they aren't the same team as they were last year, it would be nice to do it though.

My mail says that Rup is playing mate, he'll have his work cut out for him at 8 against Nathan Bright.

I really don't know who to tip in this one. The surface looks tops so weather shouldn't be an excuse, this is a real litmus test for both teams before the finals. Potentially we are seeing the GF or semi final here and I can't wait to see how this pans out.

rigs23

Allen Oxlade (6)
@yourmate sam, can i just clarify that griffith had a no where near full strength team against albury. I'm not using it as an excuse but i just wanted to clarify it. Anyway thank you so much for your coverage of this season. Its been great to get an insight into the comp!

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yes, it's good news for the Boiled Lollies isn't it mate!

Expect to see some handy players make the switch. Also, watch what happens with the Under 17's teams too.

Ricky is a quality coach, great fella and will do well at City in 2012. Recruitment in some key positions will really help them out next year and Ricky will definitely have them fit.

I didn't expect City to let anyone know about this until after the season though!!

You had earlier mentioned that the new coach, before being named here, had played 1st division Sydney, which club did he play for then?

Good work in continuing the thread with great up to date info on the comp that I used to be part of, before it became Southern Inland...thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.