• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
You had earlier mentioned that the new coach, before being named here, had played 1st division Sydney, which club did he play for then?

Ricky Dumigan played 1st Grade for Randwick, he regularly covered Chris Whitaker while he was away on Test duties.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
@yourmate sam, can i just clarify that griffith had a no where near full strength team against albury. I'm not using it as an excuse but i just wanted to clarify it. Anyway thank you so much for your coverage of this season. Its been great to get an insight into the comp!

Hey rigs, I hope the boys pull together for the final game of the season then mate. My mail said that they were at full strength in Albury, sorry for that one.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Round 16 Scores

Premier Division

First Grade

Aggies 29 bt CSU 12
Tahs 59 bt Albury 13
Griffith 36 bt RARC 10

Second Grade

Waratahs 38 d Albury 5, Griffith 52 d RARC 12, Ag College 29 d CSU 10

First Division

First Grade

Coota 32 bt City 5
Tumut 36 bt Leeton 5
Young 28 bt Temora 27

Second Grade

City 10 d Cootamundra 3, Temora 12 d Young 0, Tumut 34 d Leeton 5

3rd Grade;

Waratahs 33 d Albury 5, Hay 14 d Young 12, CSU 15 d Ag College 12

Under 17s

Waratahs 58 d Cootamundra 10, Griffith 29 d Young 7

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
59-13 to the mighty Waggatahs. FFFFAAARRRKK! I thought the mail was the Steamers were going to push Tahs or Ag for the title. What happened?

rugbyfollower

Frank Nicholson (4)
I know its cliche to say score doesnt reflect game but, tahs were completely dominant and put in their best performance of the year. People say albury have the best pack, or ag college do. even the coach of rarc told me that they do. tahs might not have the biggest pack but they get the job done, push over tries, post x y defence, slow ball recycling, pick and go, best scrum in the competition. all these things give their deadly backline go forward. they looked like a well drilled side yesterday. if they continue to play like that they should retain the title. it will be good to see how they fair against ag college this week who will be happy with beating csu.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
What happened?

Maybe Reddies gave Tahs the scare they needed? Are Albury foxing? Did Tahs just play their GF?

Based on what I've seen this year, I would expect to see a Tahs v Steamers GF.

it will be good to see how they fair against ag college this week who will be happy with beating csu.

I'd expect a Tahs victory this weekend. My mail says that Aggies took every penalty shot they could kick on Saturday and it was two tries a piece otherwise.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I think that losing Justin Wheatley on the morning of the game was a huge loss for the Steamers, not that he's worth 40 points, but losing your 5/8 on the morning of a big game is tough.

Don gave his boys an absolute pasting in the sheds after the match, Des Hasler would have been proud!!

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Finals Series Week One at Conolly Rugby Park, Wagga

There are also games out at Kapooka for the 3rd Grade and Under 17’s teams, check out the SIRU website for more details of these matches.

10am CRP #2 – City v Coota – First Division Minor Semi (2nd Grade)

City 2nds have performed reasonably well considering how their 1st Grade side has travelled this year. Coota will give City a run in this one, but I think the early start and an hour’s travel will play into City’s hands.

10:15am CRP #1 –Tumut v Leeton – First Division Major Semi (2nd Grade)

With the likes of George Molineuax running around for the Bulls, it’s hard to go past Tumut in this one. Leeton 2nds deserve some wraps for finishing 2nd on the ladder in 2nd grade considering it has been a tough year for the Firsts.

11:30am CRP #2 – CSU v Albury – Premier Division Minor Semi (2nd Grade)

Backing up from what were two very willing games last week will be tough for these two teams. My gut feeling is that CSU will get away with this one as they have a long history of performing at finals time in 2nds, watch out for Dutton at 10 for CSU.

11:45am CRP#1 – Aggies v Tahs – Premier Division Major Semi (2nd Grade)

There are plenty of players in both these teams who would walk into 1st grade at other clubs in the zone and this game will showcase this talent. Watch out for the match up between the hard running Aggies players and bone crunching defence of Davey Walker at the Tahs.

1:00pm CRP#2 – Tumut v Young – First Division Minor Semi (1st Grade)

It’s time for these two teams to let it all hang out. The two forward packs here are reasonably well matched, I think fitness will come into play in this match with the final 10-15mins of each half being crucial. Michael McGee will be the leader of the Young forward pack, while the mercurial Jock Mason will want to finish his final season on a high. Tumut have players returning at the right time of year and will be dangerous in this one.

1:15pm CRP #1 – Temora v Coota – First Division Major Semi (1st Grade)

Coota put the wringers through Temora a few weeks ago, but Temora have found some form recently and will be stoked to get Bill McCrone back for this match. There are some likely suspects in this one who really enjoy the tough contests, particularly in the forwards. Both back lines enjoy spinning the ball and will need their forwards to support them out wide. The team that controls their first up tackles in this one will do well as both sides enjoy putting shots on (they also fall off a few late in the half though).

2:55pm CRP#1 – Albury v CSU – Premier Division Minor Semi (1st Grade)

CSU only lost on penalties to Aggies last week, while Albury seemed to lose everywhere against Tahs. Albury have looked promising in the big games this year and need to show their teeth on Saturday for Tahs or Aggies to be worried about them.

Don’t take CSU lightly in this one, they can play a solid finals game and will be more focussed on winning this week. The return of Pat Hunter at 7 will help the Reddies, while Albury will hope Justin Wheatley’s knee travels to Wagga this weekend.

Two different styles will be on show here as CSU play the quick ruck ball across the park versus Albury’s ‘compress before expansion’ policy. Albury will score points from a driving forward pack while CSU will have big runners off 10 and tactical kicking.

I think the team that supports their 5/8 will fair very well in this one as Justin Wheatley and Paul Hood are two handy operators and will take all the opportunities given to them. Also watch the match up between Joe Tora and Nathan Bright, their hitups will be massive.

4:30pm CRP #1 – Tahs v Aggies – Premier Division Major Semi (1st Grade)

These two sides bring good form to this match albeit on varying scales. While Tahs were cold and clinical, capitalising on every mistake Albury made, Aggies took points when on offer and played the game out against CSU last week.

Aggies had some issues with their front row last week and will want to have them sorted before showing up against the Tahs. Although Tahs tight five have their own issues, the backrows will be good to watch as they each have unique strengths and weaknesses.

The inside backs are evenly matched, with Xavier Chigwidden and Pete Armstrong being two handy 9’s while the two 10’s (Jayden Stanton and Dan Moloney) are reasonably inexperienced and will be interesting to watch as they have a tendency to go into their shells if things don’t go well for them early on.

Aggies will appreciate having the Woodhouse brothers back in the bottle green, while Tahs have welcomed Pat Barrett back with open arms.

The key to winning this one will be to plug the holes around the breakdown, defend the maul effectively and back your defence out wide. Both teams have a solid mauling game and classy backs so it should be an even contest from that point of view.

These two teams have played each other so often over the last few seasons, it’s hard to tip as they know each other so well and there has been a bit of a see-saw battle going on. I think the counter attack and opportunistic nature of the Tahs is a real asset to them as they crucify teams for any mistakes and play to advantage well.

If Aggies are calm and controlled, they are in this, but they can’t afford to lose their heads and must control the mental aspect as well as they can control the physical side of their game.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Coota put the wringers through Temora...

Que? Shouldn't that be "Coota put the cleaners through Temora...", or "Coota put Temora through the wringer...". yms, haven't you got a mate who's a teacher? Maybe you'd better get him (or her) to give you a lesson on metaphors.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Lindo, yourmatesam has designs in taking over from Rex Mossop in the world of malapropisms...!!!

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Results Finals Week One

Thanks for the tips gents, I will review my write-ups before posting this week. Maybe you could proof read them for me? I wouldn't like to have a wringer put through me though - that would hurt...

Premier Division
First Grade
Minor Semi CSU 33 bt Albury 26
Major Semi Aggies 24 bt Tahs 16

Second Grade
Minor Semi CSU 25 bt Albury 5
Major Semi Tahs 36 bt Aggies 0

First Division
First Grade
Minor Semi Young 34 bt Tumut 19
Major Semi Coota 20 bt Temora 8

Second Grade
Minor Semi City 20 bt Coota 12
Major Semi Tumut 27 bt Leeton 17

Under 17's
Tahs 26 bt CSU 20
Griffith 28 bt Young 26

Thirsty Thirds
Young 14 bt Tahs 6
Hay 7 bt Griffith 0

Next Week:

Premier Division

First Grade
Tahs v CSU

Second Grade
Aggies v CSU

First Division

First Grade
Temora v Young

Second Grade
Leeton v City

rugbyfollower

Frank Nicholson (4)
back your defence out wide
that was tahs problem, defended very poorly in first 25 mins and gifted ag college the game, now a far from ideal game against csu awaits, which could potentially end tahs season, if they don't get the job done.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Needless to say - Albury are gutted. Had 15 quality players, but no team.

Welcome to the forum namtrak.

I thought Wheats may have been able to cross the line late in the game, he made it oh so close! The boys from Albury had every chance of winning that match, but just didn't pull it together when it counted.

rugbyfollower

Frank Nicholson (4)
jack burey is a quality half back and he has kept the csu side in alot of games this season. its interesting to note that the keys to csu and ag college's games are based around powerful runners off their respective half backs. it paid off for both teams on the weekend. who knows they may even meet in the grand final? it is a shame not to see albury in the top three however as they have some quality players and are decent blokes.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
jack burey is a quality half back.

I agree rugbyfollower, he copped a lot of shit on the SIRU forum early in the year (to the point that they pulled the forum). He is really maturing with his footy at the moment and showed it in the match against the Steamers.

Word is he wants to move to Sydney or Canberra next year to play a better standard of footy.

That's a good point you make about runners off 9. That's something that Tahs don't have isn't it. They rely on the counter attack of their fast backs to scores points and back their forwards ability to get round the park to secure possession. It will be interesting to see how they go against CSU this week considering Reddies held them scoreless for 59mins and 30secs last time they met.

Status
Not open for further replies.