• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
why would Will Mitchell who took his team to a G/Final & neraly caused the upset of the century need R Skellern as an Assist / Coach for 2016 ??
Skellern doesnb't kno what the word Assistant means
Plenty of mail going around that City will be the beneficiary of Skellern's Appointment
Should be an interesting Pre Season at Conolly
I don't know about that, I can see that the club might want him to play a role across the board. One thing Hava has always done well is prepare teams for competition by getting them fit and I reckon you could argue that the Steamers have set the benchmark in pre-season and in-season fitness standards in recent years.

For all Albury's talent, one of the things that has stood out for me in the past three seasons is that they have been fit. I wonder what role Nathan Honeyman has played in that? Can he bring a similar edge to Wagga City? Will Hava be able to do the same thing at Waratahs?

Once upon a time, I had a stint as a coach and I'd have to say that while you definitely need a leader, a strong support team is always a positive. Coaching is a very demanding gig and many hands make light work.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
There has been no doubt that Nathan Honeyman had a big influence on the fitness of the Steamers in 2013 and 2015. I think, if Wagga City adopt his ideologies completely in 2016 then they will definitely benefit from it, and will be an improver.

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
So I summoned my inner PJ Hasham, and asked a few questions about the Sterling Ross to Aggies switch. There is a little bit more to it than what was published by the D.A. Interesting that a common theme is emerging from that club.... Last 5 years or so has seen a complete shift in culture and ethos at the club, rubbing many the wrong way. Once a traditional University club, now its just an 'after thought'.

From recent memory he isn't the only long serving chalk to defect. A few over the years. As told to me "completely unheard of in back in my day"

Would be really good if a chalk could log on to GGRF and comment...

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Maybe time for Aggies & Reddies to combine into a CSU Team after this season
Both Clubs appeared to struggle last year
I don't think either of them will make the Top 5 this year

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
Maybe time for Aggies & Reddies to combine into a CSU Team after this season
Both Clubs appeared to struggle last year
I don't think either of them will make the Top 5 this year

I think that has been suggested a number of times over the years, all falling on deaf ears.
To be honest, the likely outcome to merger between the two clubs would be a significant boost in player numbers for the other two Wagga clubs, as the newly formed merged 'University Club' would struggle with an identity, as the current crop would disperse to City & Waratahs.
Reddies were on the cusp of folding a few years back and have struggled big time since, where the Ag College has flourished with numbers. My guess is that the Reddies will fold and the Aggies will be the only uni club in the near future.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
just saw the Curtain raiser teams on the DA Website
Good to see plenty of new names in all of the Squads
The Rams (Wagga) look good things to win with Albury not having any players in the Rams squad due to a Bucks Party for 1 of their players
Can't wait until Feb 6 - Bring it on !!

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
just saw the Curtain raiser teams on the DA Website
Good to see plenty of new names in all of the Squads
The Rams (Wagga) look good things to win with Albury not having any players in the Rams squad due to a Bucks Party for 1 of their players
Can't wait until Feb 6 - Bring it on !!

http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/story/3656996/siru-name-rep-squads-minus-albury-players/?cs=149

Bit of a beatup by the DA to be honest with Albury not being represented... Ash Lefevre's bucks is obviously a key reason that players are not available.

See below Women's and Men's Teams for the Curtain Raiser v the Horrortahs. Note that teams are selected based on nominations...

Based on my quick review, the Women's game should be a corker with plenty of big names from the major players in there, CSU, City, Griffith and Leeton are well represented which is tops. A number of these players have also been running around in the many different tournaments that take place during the off-season too.

In terms of the Men's squads, the Pretty "City" team is dominated by Aggies and Waratahs, it's good to see guys like Dean Smart put his hand up for Rep selection - I thought he had a handy 2015 season. It's also good to see Sam Hobbs in that mix too, hopefully he can get some more game time during the regular season this year.

Griffith, Leeton and Tumut make up the bulk of the Country team, although Hay are also well represented this year. Does the inclusion of guys like Stuart Dyer and Farrell Moata mean these guys are in Leeton for the season? Looks like TJ Sala is hanging around at Tumut also which is a positive for Dan Dowson and Tino Manualevo as those three form a core part of a pretty mean outfit.

Based on these teams, the Redbacks are going to be pretty handy I reckon. Fitness (and the ability to handle the heat) will be an issue for both teams also!! :)

Congratulations to all that have been selected in the squads - train hard, I'm keen to see you all have a run around on the day and then watch the Brumbs spank the Horrortahs.

WOMENS’ SQUADS
City Women’s Team:
Aggies; Harriet Elleman, City; Sarah Hogan, Laura Hogan, Lyndall Callaghan, Megan Prince, Reddies; Bib Bedford, Sophie Quirk, Sophie Thomson, Claud Obst, Waratahs; Amy Fowler, Holly Stephens, Bailey Porter

City Women’s Staff:
Coach – Marty Hogan
Manager – Seth Stoltenberg

Country Women’s Team:
Albury; Trinity Sullivan, Deniliquin; Tracey Ho, Griffith; Neda Amiatu, Stefanie Koro, Shailyn Williams, Leeton; Bulou Baravilala, Monique Higgins, Kaitlyn McKay, Aimee Spowart, Ua Ravu, Tumut; Tara Arnall, Kiahan
Bellchambers

Country Women’s:
Coach Bart Challacombe

Manager: Lou McCabe

MENS’ SQUADS

SIRU RAMS

Tom Dunstan , Tanian Naude, Riley Brennan, James Grimmett, Hamish Pennington, Ollie Connell, Sterling Ross, Tom Macleay (Ag College) Chris Murray, James Daley, Matt Meggison, Sam Palmer, Dave Armstrong, Sam Hobbs, Steve Tracey, Ritchie Lamont (Waraths), James Curgenven, Moses Waqa, James Maloney, Seth Stoltenberg, Jonno Lally (Wagga City), Mitch Fealy, Ryan Prior, Brad Crawford, Dean Smart (CSU)

Coach – Richard Skellern – 0418 974 599

Manager- Nick McCarthy- 0408 498 362

SIRU REDBACKS

Matt Vitucci,Chris Latu, Andries Mayer, Vaea Mateo, Dan Bozic, Andrew Madden (Griffith), Manning Doughty, Giles Cunningham, Robert Rogers, Will Nadin (Hay), Rob Harris, Jon Carmody, Dan Dowson, Tino Manualevo, TJ Sala (Tumut), Daniel Patu, Tim Rolls, Joe Kafoa, Bill Bevan, Stuart Dyer, Farrell Maota, Adriu Qio (Leeton), Leslie Dicker, Peter Gow, Reid Jackson (Deniliquin)

Coach – Seru Rogo – 0456 230 455

Manager- TBC

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
Thought it was an interesting comment by Coach Skellern, sorry my mistake, um Mitchell. "anticipates to lose a number of players to Wagga City but believes he will have a stronger team in 2016."

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Thought it was an interesting comment by Coach Skellern, sorry my mistake, um Mitchell. "anticipates to lose a number of players to Wagga City but believes he will have a stronger team in 2016."

According to the DA Farrel Maota also linked to Wagga City - they seem to be big spenders this off season... Leeton have lost 3 from the back line and Sam Allen - was last year a flash in the pan or can they continue to improve???

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
According to the DA Farrel Maota also linked to Wagga City - they seem to be big spenders this off season. Leeton have lost 3 from the back line and Sam Allen - was last year a flash in the pan or can they continue to improve???

The DA have got some mail, that's for sure. Sam Hobbs is a quality half back, fit and tough. Sam Bunny to Waratahs is a bonus for them, he and Rory Sheard were standouts for the Yabbies - Tahs and City will be happy with these guys.

If Farrell Moata is in Sydney and working, I'll be interested to see what draws him back to Wagga...

Pat Barrett making a comeback, he'll drag a few of his vintage along with him. Even if he doesn't play, he's a positive guy to have around the club with shedloads of experience. Tom Finucane will bolster the Tahs pack and is almost a "like for like" replacement for H Palmer. Tahs are looking ok.

2016 looks like there will be some handy matchups. City could be onto something this year - Stanton, Bunny, Sheard, Curgenven, Stoltenberg, Moata, Waqa - all with rep experience - imagine if they all get fit and manage to stay on the park.

Tumut have picked up Dowson and retain Tino and TJ Sala, they'll make a team around those guys. Griffith have been a bit quiet but can come up with all sorts out there and have shown that they have a strong nucleus at the club in recent years.

Albury seem to be silently building so far...

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
The preseason chatter has Wagga City and Tumut 2016 favourites at this stage.

Agreed that both those clubs seem to building. Although lets be honest, year after year & every pre-season we do hear how well Wagga City are training and how they are going to be challenging for the competition. All to no evail though...

From what Ive seen and know, Waratahs are clear favs ahead of Tumut. Finally, you'd be an absolute mug to rule out Albury also. They're well versed in their annual phrase "We have lost lots of players and we'll see who turns up in January"

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I was speaking to a City player today who was confused about Farrell Moata's apparent move to the Lollies. Also heard that there are a number of Ag College players who will be wearing Blue this year and more with restless legs at present.

Is there anything to read into Sam Bunny and Rory Sheard moving to Wagga as opposed to playing in Canberra?

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Just to shed a bit of light on the whole Farrell Moata thing . Neither myself or any of the other coaching staff have spoken to him . So put that one to bed please. And from what I've heard we are unlikely to as well .
Second we haven't been 'spending' up , we've recruited definitely but 'spending' up is primarily a DA thing it would seem .
The comp isn't won in mid January , but a bit of media is no bad thing . Even if it isn't terribly accurate !

Can't wait for Feb 6 to see those mighty NSW Tahs go round !

Goodfun

Bob McCowan (2)
Yep DA juicing up the talk making claims of player payments... we all know only the Steamers do that.
If Farrell Moata has been selected in the Redbacks team and he's not playing for City, Phantoms or whoever, why the hell is he in the side.
One of the Aggies works for me, he was saying none of the players even knew Sterling (ex Reddies) was playing for them until unveiled in the DA, not only that old mate was talking about captaining the side, Aggies players not happy!!!!
Was at Brumbies training last week (having a squiz), awesome to see Sam and Angus Allen and Harry Tyson all SIRU juniors mixing it with the big boys.

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
What would January be without City and the DA drumming up their premiership chances!

@goodfun, interesting comments regarding the Sterling Ross move to Aggies.
The word is that he left CSU because of the coach, but also that he wanted to be captain for 2016. He was told that wouldnt be the case.
If the mail on Aggies leaving is accurate, he could end up being their captain after all, as they might not be anyone left.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Great Pre Season banter going on
Albury will have plenty of $$$ left in their kitty to replace several professional players that helped them secure the Premiership last year so don't write them off- they don't have any depth in their club (2nd Grade hardly won a game last year) and will need to go shopping again!
The rivalry between all the Wagga Clubs looks pretty intense already so I think we are in for a very tight competition.
Early predictions - Albury to defend their title after their on-line shopping is completed before the end of June with Waratahs & Tumut to be the next best
Stirling Ross playing for Aggies is a laugh

Status
Not open for further replies.