• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

nipnipnip

Frank Nicholson (4)
Sam Bunny lives in Wagga and didn't see himself travelling more. Sad to see him go as he's been a Yabby since he was 7. Rory Sheard wanted to put himself in a more professional rugby environment. City were kind enough to wait until he'd polled in the medals to approach him.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Goodness me, the plot thickens..

http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/story/3671062/cross-town-move/?cs=149

For the sake of both clubs, the merger between the Aggies and Reddies might need to be fast tracked to the 2016 season, just to get a side on the park.

Waratahs clear favourites for the chocolates in 2016.

I wonder if Waratahs will continue to call uncontested scrums in 3rd grade now they 5 props who would be playing 1st grade at just about any other club in the competition????

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
too late for amalgamation between the Uni clubs for 2016 but changes for the Uni Clubs are obviously looming
No Leaper, Garrett, Dunstan, Hobbs x 2, connell at Aggies this year means a lot of work will need to be done by the coaches at Aggies to get them competitive
I wonder if Sterling Ross is having any regrets about swapping over to Aggies this year ??

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
too late for amalgamation between the Uni clubs for 2016 but changes for the Uni Clubs are obviously looming
No Leaper, Garrett, Dunstan, Hobbs x 2, connell at Aggies this year means a lot of work will need to be done by the coaches at Aggies to get them competitive
I wonder if Sterling Ross is having any regrets about swapping over to Aggies this year ??

Unlikely that Ross would be regretting his move, as a depleted Ag College would still be better than anything CSU will put in the park this year.
I believe Ag College could stand on its own, easy to come to this deduction as they have plenty of numbers and draw 90% of them from the uni. CSU on the other hand, don't have the depth and their student playing numbers are at an all time low. Only a sprinkling across the club and no first graders???
Either merger talks have to get serious, at the initiative of CSU for their future or you would have think they are on their death bed.

edwardob1987

Frank Row (1)
The amount of CSU bashing on here is ridiculous and for anyone to say the club is on the verge of folding is actually laughable. To be fair, student numbers aren't where we want them to be, but this has a lot to do with the closing of CSU's South Campus, where the we drew a lot of player numbers over the years. We are actively trying to recruit students each year but Aggies have the upper hand at the moment in this department with RA's etc living on campus, but this will slowly change over time as it has done for years.

We actually have to maintain greater than a 50%, or close to, student base to stay affiliated with the university which we have been able to do, despite South Campus closing down. The 1st grade side last year did have a number of current students but also had a large number of ex students on top of that. We have fielded 4 grades for as long as I can remember, won the 2014 2nd grade comp, our girls made the grand final last year (majority are CSU students), 1st grade won the plastic cup without dropping a game after the split. I may be biased but does that sound like a club who is on their death bed??

We are a proud club with a proud history and whether you like it or not, we aren't going anywhere. Keep the bashing going because it's quite entertaining but please don't get your hopes up of a merger or the club folding because this is not going to happen. We know it's going to be a tough competition in 2016 but as a club we are more than up to the challenge. Happy bashing everyone

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Righto folks, let's calm our farms and focus on the prep for the SIRU clash as the curtain raiser for the Brumbs.

Anyone keen to tip either Redbacks or Rams? I hear there are some good games lined up for these guys in late Feb to look forward to.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Would like to know the trial games clubs have lined up over the next couple of months...

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
The amount of CSU bashing on here is ridiculous and for anyone to say the club is on the verge of folding is actually laughable. To be fair, student numbers aren't where we want them to be, but this has a lot to do with the closing of CSU's South Campus, where the we drew a lot of player numbers over the years. We are actively trying to recruit students each year but Aggies have the upper hand at the moment in this department with RA's etc living on campus, but this will slowly change over time as it has done for years.

We actually have to maintain greater than a 50%, or close to, student base to stay affiliated with the university which we have been able to do, despite South Campus closing down. The 1st grade side last year did have a number of current students but also had a large number of ex students on top of that. We have fielded 4 grades for as long as I can remember, won the 2014 2nd grade comp, our girls made the grand final last year (majority are CSU students), 1st grade won the plastic cup without dropping a game after the split. I may be biased but does that sound like a club who is on their death bed??

We are a proud club with a proud history and whether you like it or not, we aren't going anywhere. Keep the bashing going because it's quite entertaining but please don't get your hopes up of a merger or the club folding because this is not going to happen. We know it's going to be a tough competition in 2016 but as a club we are more than up to the challenge. Happy bashing everyone

If CSU's student base was approximately 50%, I'll eat my shorts!! Friends and colleagues of mine who are affiliated with Ag College, tell me the figure is more like 15-20%. From what I saw last season I'd agree. I think the general feeling is that the Reddies are not facing up to the cold hard facts and realities of their club. Yes you are a proud club, I don't doubt that, but putting your head in the sand is not going to help end the downward spiral you seem to be on.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Would like to know the trial games clubs have lined up over the next couple of months.

Your best bet would be to check out the club Facebook pages or their websites mate, generally things like trials are organised between clubs with existing relationships.

I believe there is a trial tournament at Leeton this year and that the Cootamundra 10's tournament is also on. Not sure about dates though off the top of my head.

rugby_guy

Frank Row (1)
Interesting "odd" article from the DA.
http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/story/3672925/no-dramas-for-ag-college-minus-egos/

From my sources the mass departure of senior players from the club is less to do with the players ego and more to do with the ego of the head coach and his coaching techniques. The culture at the club has been turned on its head in recent years and aggies will have a number of rebuilding years to have any chance at getting anywhere near a title in the coming decades.

In regards to the above comments of the merger of the two university clubs, I believe this will NEVER happen due to the history and arch rivalry between the two clubs.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Hi everyone, let's give the whole CSU v Ag College thing a rest hey? It's been done to death on here and the past few posts about this topic have been nothing more than pot shots at each club.

Keep it positive, there are plenty of other places you can bitch about how good/bad/indifferent a club/person/import is without doing it here.

Is there anyone with any inside knowledge on preparations for the rep program? Brumbies trial?

Anyone got any mail on how things are looking for Tumut at this stage of the year? Traditionally slow starters, has Dan Dowson been able to get the Bulls moving early this year?

I hear there has been much wrenching of guts at Wagga City preseason also... Maybe running off some Christmas cheer?

willym

Bob McCowan (2)
Hi everyone, let's give the whole CSU v Ag College thing a rest hey? It's been done to death on here and the past few posts about this topic have been nothing more than pot shots at each club.

Keep it positive, there are plenty of other places you can bitch about how good/bad/indifferent a club/person/import is without doing it here.

Is there anyone with any inside knowledge on preparations for the rep program? Brumbies trial?

Anyone got any mail on how things are looking for Tumut at this stage of the year? Traditionally slow starters, has Dan Dowson been able to get the Bulls moving early this year?

I hear there has been much wrenching of guts at Wagga City preseason also. Maybe running off some Christmas cheer?

I agree Sam, all clubs have stronger years and not so strong years and its the way it goes. I believe that history shows this over ALL clubs in the zone. For Nicks sake I hope he gets some solid players moving to Wagga through the uni and goes well. CSU seem to be quiet but have never given up at any mark of any game or season. I know we wont be taking any side lightly and to think they will be easy beats would be arrogant and pretty uneducated, our game is all about who prepares and turns up on the day so I think these guys will surprise a few sides....

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
I hear there has been much wrenching of guts at Wagga City preseason also. Maybe running off some Christmas cheer?

There has been a fair about of wrenching of guts (its ok YMS - my guts are still safe :) ) and definitely has been some hard yards going in. Pre season has been demanding but there has been some big smiles on dials and that at the end of the day is what its about ! Players enjoying themselves!

Plenty of older faces , some new faces, a few faces that will be familiar from other clubs and a couple of new guys and girls from out of town. Most of all the players and coaching staff are really looking forward to the new format this year! This new comp is set to be a ripper!

At this stage we are locked in for trial against the Blacks for weekend of the 12th March and are tentatively looking at Tumut the following week. Whats the general gist of the Leeton round robin ? Is it still a goer ?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
There has been a fair about of wrenching of guts (its ok YMS - my guts are still safe :) ) and definitely has been some hard yards going in.

I'm glad to hear you're still fine mate!

At this stage we are locked in for trial against the Blacks for weekend of the 12th March and are tentatively looking at Tumut the following week. Whats the general gist of the Leeton round robin ? Is it still a goer ?

My mail says there is a tournament on at Leeton, however not sure what the roll up is looking like at the moment. I think the focus is on the Brumbies trial at this stage with more information to follow after that.

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)

Not sure I agree entirely there Sam.

The purpose of any rugby forum (or any forum for that matter) is for robust and lively debate about topical issues. It is my opinion, after reading thrug the entire thread today, that this is a place for healthy and passionate discussion from all involved. It isnt personal, its topical and relevant debate and discussion.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Not sure I agree entirely there Sam.

The purpose of any rugby forum (or any forum for that matter) is for robust and lively debate about topical issues. It is my opinion, after reading thrug the entire thread today, that this is a place for healthy and passionate discussion from all involved. It isnt personal, its topical and relevant debate and discussion.

I'm all for robust and lively debate, however the voices from Ag College baying for CSU blood need to reflect on the late nineties and early to mid 2000's (am i showing my age? :) ) when they were struggling to put two teams on the park. The word on the street at that time was that Aggies should fold and their players play for Waratahs... There were even Waratahs players of that era looking to play for CSU. True story.

The reality of all rugby comps (as with life in general) is that they are a series of peaks and troughs - some big, some small. Some clubs can ride the wave for a longer period than others, Aggies are on the top of a wave at the moment and CSU are not - wind the clock back 10 years and you might find that Ag College were in a very similar position to CSU.

This thread (or incarnations of) has been running for a long time now, we've covered the season from start to finish for 5-6 years now and managed to remain (generally) on the more positive side of things and for me, that's the direction we should be looking at.

Phantom

Frank Nicholson (4)
Fair call Sam, keep it positive. We have all been up and down through the years, some more up and some more down doesn't matter bore into it.
Gotta say that a bit of banter is good fun so long as it doesn't get to nasty.
Ill get onto Bart at the Phantoms and see what the go is with the Leeton pre season comp. Fasten your hub caps and come have some fun.
Lads have just started training (no spewing just yet Bubba), few new faces, quite a few blokes moved on or retired. I might whip over to Griffith and see if poaching a few more players is on the cards.
Seru should do well with big Marika helping out.

Talking to Sam Allen last night, him, Angus and Harry Tyson are doing well and really enjoying themselves. They have been doing gym sessions with the likes of Pocock, Ita Vae, Kurindrani etc, how good is that. Imagine trying to spot Pocock, nah.
Make sure we all get around those lads regardless of which clubs they come up through.

Top 5

Waratahs
Phantoms
Tumut
Albury
City

GF Phantom & Tumut
Yep completely bias.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I'm all for robust and lively debate, however the voices from Ag College baying for CSU blood need to reflect on the late nineties and early to mid 2000's (am i showing my age? :) ) when they were struggling to put two teams on the park. The word on the street at that time was that Aggies should fold and their players play for Waratahs. There were even Waratahs players of that era looking to play for CSU. True story.

The reality of all rugby comps (as with life in general) is that they are a series of peaks and troughs - some big, some small. Some clubs can ride the wave for a longer period than others, Aggies are on the top of a wave at the moment and CSU are not - wind the clock back 10 years and you might find that Ag College were in a very similar position to CSU.

This thread (or incarnations of) has been running for a long time now, we've covered the season from start to finish for 5-6 years now and managed to remain (generally) on the more positive side of things and for me, that's the direction we should be looking at.

Fair call Sam, keep it positive. We have all been up and down through the years, some more up and some more down doesn't matter bore into it.
Gotta say that a bit of banter is good fun so long as it doesn't get to nasty.
Ill get onto Bart at the Phantoms and see what the go is with the Leeton pre season comp. Fasten your hub caps and come have some fun.
Lads have just started training (no spewing just yet Bubba), few new faces, quite a few blokes moved on or retired. I might whip over to Griffith and see if poaching a few more players is on the cards.
Seru should do well with big Marika helping out.

Talking to Sam Allen last night, him, Angus and Harry Tyson are doing well and really enjoying themselves. They have been doing gym sessions with the likes of Pocock, Ita Vae, Kurindrani etc, how good is that. Imagine trying to spot Pocock, nah.
Make sure we all get around those lads regardless of which clubs they come up through.

Top 5

Waratahs
Phantoms
Tumut
Albury
City

GF Phantom & Tumut
Yep completely bias.

For some reason I am really looking forward to the SIRU Comp this year- maybe its the changes to the Comp that brings the excitement
I acknowledge that Young, Temora or Coota were never going to win the Comp this year but with their departure it seems to have made every match in every Round very interesting indeed
The 4 Clubs out of Wagga appear to have genuine chances to win this year's Competition which is a healthy sign.
Depth of players is crucial and will probably in the end decide the Premiers
I reckon Waratahs will make the Grand Final and am confident that a club outside Wagga will be their opponents (preferrably Leeton or Tumut)
Keep up the good work 'yourmatesam" you are doing a great job with the forum and if banter gets to gutter talk just edit it out and move on

Status
Not open for further replies.