• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2023

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Is one of the real problems facing rugby everywhere (Australia) the lack of opportunities to play rugby ages 17-20?

Folkus

Stan Wickham (3)
Unfortunately, it is all about numbers plain and simple.Country Kids in that age group usually move away for further study, get an Apprenticeship or just have a break from playing Junior Sport (sometimes 2 or 3 codes on a weekend). The City kids have the population and with those numbers easily have the numbers for respective Age- Group competitions (e.g U/16s & 18s)
In the Bush any promising 16 or 17 year olds who still stay local and want to play their chosen sport invariably get picked up by the Senior Club.
In the end it is just a numbers game

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Has anyone got access to the Final Draws for each Grade in this year's SIRU Competition ? which apparently start on April 15
Rumour is Albury Women have now withdrawn from the Competition
Why do organisations put out Draws in November / December the previous year - please Explain !?!?
Download rugby Xplorer app. All matches on there.

Draw comes out early because that’s what was asked for by the clubs. If clubs change their noms afterwards then it’s on them for the changing draw not the zone

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I think the way the season is shaping up Reasoning is that we would be better off having 3 draws. 1 for 1sts & 2nds another for 3rds and another for Womens. Try and get each team in the various competitions to have a game each week even if it means travelling separately.

Folkus

Stan Wickham (3)
I think the way the season is shaping up Reasoning is that we would be better off having 3 draws. 1 for 1sts & 2nds another for 3rds and another for Womens. Try and get each team in the various competitions to have a game each week even if it means travelling separately.
That idea is better than the current format but the argument from the Clubs will be " We all want to be at the same venue" well that's definitely not happening in the current Draw with Hay being Tumut's 3rd Grade side and clubs have to split when they play Tumut away. Also the Clubs split when they play Deni (1st Grade) and Leeton (2nd Grade) away. The players want to get a bang for their Bucks $$ and the more games the better.Like Reasoning said in his earlier post we don't need any more Teams to pull out that's for sure

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
History in SIRU has been, Folkus, that team numbers get less during the season not more. So if a club like Reddies are struggling for a 2nds team at the beginning of the year, that team will forfeit a lot games during the year and/or be a constant drain on 1st grade. Remember at the end of last season Reddies brought 19 players to Griffith and courageously played 3 grades. Come Saturday people want to play their game of sport so it’s hardly a winter sport playing only half a dozen games.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Remembering that clubs hate being split (they did accept the minimal split this season)
I’d love a proposal from you fellas that’s better than the current one that?

Im not being obnoxious but I can’t see many alternatives that would be accepted.

3rd grade will fall as it does. Like every year. Clubs will play scratch matches like every year.

clubs hate the idea of being split up. There are requirements for trained front rowers that need to be met. Medic requirements that need to be met and splitting clubs makes this bloody difficult

Last edited:

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
All good points Mauler. Problem is if we don’t change we stay the same and the problems brought up here on the forum will eventually develop. If not changing anything is preferable to the clubs then we’ll just live with what eventuates.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Certainly agree that the zone needs to move forward but let’s remember how big a debacle last season was. I think this season will improve. Blind hope perhaps!

I don’t think there is a perfect competition anywhere anymore. Grades miss out in Sydney every weekend because not all sides play every grade.

And I don’t think it’s just rugby either. League and Aussie rules junior grades and senior grades also in decline numbers wise.
Obviously I don’t have the answer but I’m hopeful that this season is an improvement.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Of course there is no perfect competition but the difference with your middle statement is that all the Sydney Clubs KNOW who they are going to be playing at the start of the season and who they ARE NOT going to be playing when the Draw comes out closer to the coomencement of the season and not November & December which happened with SIRU when they ANNOUNCED their Draw last year- that is a Big Difference. The Sydney Clubs then organise matches between other lower grade teams that have a bye so they keep getting match practice for the following Saturday's match.

Agree again, no perfect comps but let's see what we can do in March with respective Comps. when we know the actual player numbers registered.Is that too much to ask for from the Clubs & SIRU
It used to be this way. Late and everyone, Including in this space hated it. You yourself questioned where the draw was in mid Jan 2020… what way do you actually want it mate?

when do Sydney nominate and when does the draw come out. I’m keen to know actual details because plenty of clubs don’t play all grades.

I’m also aware of sides organising scratch matches in our zone already to cover any shortfalls.

Last edited:

Folkus

Stan Wickham (3)
Nothings perfect in this world - lets just hope the likes of Reddies (2nd Grade) and Albury (3rds) hang in there because it will be the same as last year in the lower Grades Draw - CHAOS !

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Given that Albury have almost always struggled to consistently field a reserve grade in the past, player numbers must have really improved a lot to be pushing ahead with 3rds. Surprising a uni team like Reddies might not be able to provide 2nds. Are Leeton’s numbers really OK?

Folkus

Stan Wickham (3)
If there is a match being streamed it should be the replay of last year's GF - Griffith Blacks v Wagga City in Griffith- This is by far the Match of the Round.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
If there is a match being streamed it should be the replay of last year's GF - Griffith Blacks v Wagga City in Griffith- This is by far the Match of the Round.
should be a good game that one. good for City. better to be in Griffith in April than July.

I believe that every club now owns a VEO camera and will b streaming all games this season

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I think City beats Griffith on the weekend. Griffith have quite a few young players coming through. This is exciting for the club but it might take a while for the team to get used to each other. Anyone know if Reddies and Waratahs girls are going to play a match against each other. Seems a bit like last year if these 2 Wagga based teams just sit out Saturday.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
There it is again. WAC and Waratahs girls bye. Reddies play City. Surely a game can be organised to fit on that program somewhere so that these 2 teams don’t sit out the weekend.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
There it is again. WAC and Waratahs girls bye. Reddies play City. Surely a game can be organised to fit on that program somewhere so that these 2 teams don’t sit out the weekend.
I believe tahs approached WAC but with uni holidays there wasn’t all that much interest from WAC to play a scratch match

Bubba 2.0

Frank Nicholson (4)
Back in a new guise gents ! A prolonged absence almost but Bubba 2.0 it is !

Interesting round in 1's coming up .
Deni v Aggies : could be a real danger game for the students .Having seen a little of the Tahs game and what the coach of Tahs mentioned to me, if Deni get possesion sorted it could be a long afternoon. Im still leaning aggies .

Tahs v Albury : I think this could be a real defining match . Tahs will want to stamp themselves GF contenders early up and Albury will be thinking they need to win for the same reason. I think Tahs will be to organised and will get the choccies

Reddies v City : City have a few injury issues at moment so could be a tighter tussle than many would suggest. City to win.

Tumut v Griffith : I'm hearing good things from tumut at the moment . Got numbers and some key positions sorted. Griffith are a young and developing side from what i saw , I think theyll travel well but a sunny day at jarrah will see Tumut home i think.

I reckon the City girls will roll Reddies in the upset of the round . And Griffith to take the win in tumut.