• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springbokke vs Wallabies @ Osfontein 30/9/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Week is a long time in rugby, two weeks even longer.

Wallabies on a mighty high, Bokke on a an old time low.

Will be intersting to see the response from both teams.

Springbokke by 50.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The Bokke attack of late doesn't often score an avalanche of points.

But I think they will bash the Wallabies in the forward exchanges.

Combined with a bit of altitude factor, it could well be enough to win.

We'll see.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Fully expect the Springboks to play territory and smash the fuck out of the breakdown taking notes from Argentina's first half against us.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
going to be bit harder without Kriel considering he was the danger man in perth. Casseim will have to go much harder at the ball.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
There are promising signs from the Wallabies. They seem to play a less structured game on attack, trusting their supports more than in recent times. Maybe, the work Mick Byrne is putting in is having some effect? They also seem to be able to keep their intensity up towards the end of a game.

But, they still make too many basic errors with their passing and catching, and they still have the musical chairs defense happening. Add to that a couple of questionable selections and they are not yet near being a finished product.

Keys to this game will surely be the altitude, and the makeup of the back row again. Just hope that Owens doesn't get the refereeing gig. He does not value our scrum at all, to the point of being blind to illegalities from the other side.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
Think the two weeks favours Australia as their forwards could use the rest and time to replace Hanigan in practice. Can't be fun to have two weeks to dwell on the thumping the Boks just took.

Interested to see how Cheika and co. try to counter the Springboks kicking game, perhaps leaving Beale back more often? They did a good job last game of kicking out wide and pinning Australia in their own end. Maybe try to put more pressure at the 13 channel to force them to cut back in.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Good to see both Brian Smith and Cheika on the front pages agreeing with my post above regarding the support play more in evidence in the Wallabies' play, and their greater fitness at the end of games. Though I have to start wondering about my own state of mind when I agree with Cheika.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Springboks have added Francois Louw, Louis Schroeder and S'busiso Nkosi to their squad for the next two matches.

Jaco Kriel and Coenie Oosthuizen are out injured.

K

KAOPointman

The biggest mobile forward pack with high work rate should be key against a young big confident Bokke team! I say bring in TUI aswell......his work rate is very high and makes lots of big heavy metres on attack! Our back row NEEDS to have some size and impact.
As others here have mentioned there is a less structured game from the wallabies on attack....I agree and feel this is simply because our lack of attacking direction leaves it to individual brillant moments to bring opportunities.....rather then what u would assume the preferred method would be of having a 10 who reads the play and distributes to players where's there's space and opportunities.....then those brilliant moments happen more often and in more space leading to far more opportunities!
Hence my second change would be Quade in for Foley! My mouth waters at the thought of our attack with players like Beale, Folou, Kerevi and Kuridrani getting the ball in a favourable position before they've even done their thing!
I'd also bring in Joe Powell on the bench.....more accurate then Phipps and is the future!

K

KAOPointman

That's looking at it in a rather shallow way......if our defence has been lacking, then we need to score points to keep up. And the only time we've done that successfully was last week vs the Argies, the 10th ranked team in the world!
And that's ignoring everything else a playmaker does like, exit kicks, restarts, tackling, ruck involvement, accurate passes and the BASIC requirement for a 10 of being an attacking threat......all things (bar conversions)that have not been even close to an acceptable level.
Remind yourself how many of our tries involved our "playmaker"......
Thinking all other positions dont need attention because other possitions are lacking is a terrible idea :0

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
haha, you just can't drop the Foley thing hey. You tried to make it seem like your post was about something else. But behind the thin veil is nothing but thoughts of Foley.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
KAOP, can you please start a 'Foley is rubbish, drop him' thread so we don't have to deal with it on the match thread all the time. Opinions about players are fine, there are a variety of opinions about Foley (as there are about other players) which are discussed and debated, but your opinions on Foley have reached the unhealthy obsession level, you are making no new arguments, so perhaps you can have the discussion with those who want to hear it ad nauseam.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
vs Boks

Sio
TPN
Kepu
Arnold
Coleman
Tui
Hooper
McMahon
Genia
Foley
Koroibete
Beale
Kurindrani
Hodge
Folau

vs Pumas

Sio
TPN
Kepu
Arnold
Coleman
Tui
Hooper
McMahon
Genia
Foley
Koroibete
Hunt
Kurindrani
Folau
Beale

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Looking at the Springbokke - the fans are at a nadir, think about where we were after Bled #1 and turn it up to 11. Wholesale changes have been called for by the fans. "Transformation" is a term I'm sure is showing up on web searches at unprecedented rates. But I can't see it. Calls for new blood roughly equate or are better than the calls to chop (in terms of %-age PoC). And the new blood demanded is rather irrelevant as they generally are not in the Coetzee squad. I'm not predicting many changes.

They could introduce Chillyboy and the youngster Wilco Loux to increase front row weight, but would it improve the scrum? Dreyer the starting THP is there due to injury (Oosthuizen). He might swap Kitshoff for 17, it's not a big change. Don't forget they are only scrumming the Wallabies, do they really need to muck around with it too much?

Coetzee may well be looking at Dan du Preez over Cassiem at no #8. This would be a bit like the muted Tui to #6 option for the WBs. Both backrows are light and unbalanced, but would du Preez (or Tui) actually make an immediate impact? Better off letting Cassiem grow against the easier opposition of the Wallabies.

Lot's of calls for removing Kriel as a backline log-jamb at out-center (supposedly doesn't pass much). It's probably overdone, and there is probably not many options. The back three though, or at least the wingers might shift. It's hard to see Rhule surviving (you can't blame one man for the last performance but his D was sordid). They have a couple of youngsters in the wings - S'busio Nkosi (cutting it up in CC for the Sharks apparently) and Dillan Leyds.

All in all, it's unlikely that we will see anything dramatic in the Bokke selections, and as the coaching is the same you'd think little changing in terms of strategy and game plan.

It'll be Perth #2, though the Bokke have a wounded pride to repair at home on the Hiveldt.

Scrums may be parity. Our 10-12 axis and playmaking should be superior. Their kicking and line outs should be superior. Light weight mobile back row will not be a hindrance, and our ever-ready batteries should be good for the last 20.

If the Bokke kicking is sensible, we are stuffed, by maybe 30 points. If we can force the game to be played to our strengths - 10-20 points to the WBs.

Actually starting to look forward to this one.

Let's see Hodge start with a kicking remit. Let him take an early shot at goal from the 22. It'll may go dead, probably miss, but a little warning shot for the Bokke. Then let Hooper, Hanigan, Foley, Beale and Folau loose.

We do light-weight and mobile better than they do. Just do it for 80 boys, altitude is no excuse.

K

KAOPointman

haha, you just can't drop the Foley thing hey. You tried to make it seem like your post was about something else. But behind the thin veil is nothing but thoughts of Foley.
Don't be so Naive.......the topic was our Attack and the tries we scored! Guess who's supposed to run our ATTACK Sherlock???.....Foley!
It just so happens it's a fact he does Very little at all in attack for the wallabies, game after game after game! So why on earth would you think his name wouldn't keep getting bought up?
And you guys who don't like my continually bringing up Bernard's Foleys.......well stop reading threads about games he plays in!
I'm one of the very few who even mentions him....EVER.....and when taken into context of his form.....that's quite unbelievable!
With the amount of constant chat about switching, for eg,back rowers, Fullbacks and Hookers constantly.....it surprises me every week Foley goes under the radar.
Then he goes and gets Motm despite a rather average game and still no one lays down any constructive criticism towards his game!
Someone's gotta do it......and I don't mind being that guy! So u May aswell Get over it because nothing's changing until Foley picks up his game or we get another playmaker! (And if you think 6/6 with the boot justifies Motm, then don't even waste your breath on a reply)

Status
Not open for further replies.