• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springbokke vs Wallabies @ Osfontein 30/9/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KAOPointman

I was speaking to my physio the other night about altering habitual movement, like the way you lift something or your posture etc.

On average it takes 1500 hours of practice.

1500 fucking hours.

So yeah might take a while to stick.
Well that's interesting...I bought this up to my Phisio....an ex wallabies World Cup winning Phisio.....and he says that's not exactly correct and doesn't apply to most rugby skills. Most Players can have muscle memory and technique reset within a day to reasonable levels....even at test level.
And his proof was his eg of how a team can be full of simple ball playing errors one week and dominate with high risk play all game and nail everything! Or how front rowers get switched sides in their career and often shine instantly despite the obvious "corrupt technique cues" present!
Most goal kickers for eg are very good at shutting out the "noise" so they can concentrate on their poise and technique......but still will go games perfect and others terrible, despite no change in postures or technique!

I still think it's mostly a mental confidence thing, backed up by basic core skills drummed in from an early age! As usual....the ABs are the perfect eg.....EVeRYtHING on the rugby field should be second nature and the coach is simply there on a holiday!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Well that's interesting.I bought this up to my Phisio..an ex wallabies World Cup winning Phisio...and he says that's not exactly correct and doesn't apply to most rugby skills. Most Players can have muscle memory and technique reset within a day to reasonable levels..even at test level.
And his proof was his eg of how a team can be full of simple ball playing errors one week and dominate with high risk play all game and nail everything! Or how front rowers get switched sides in their career and often shine instantly despite the obvious "corrupt technique cues" present!
Most goal kickers for eg are very good at shutting out the "noise" so they can concentrate on their poise and technique..but still will go games perfect and others terrible, despite no change in postures or technique!

I still think it's mostly a mental confidence thing, backed up by basic core skills drummed in from an early age! As usual..the ABs are the perfect eg...EVeRYtHING on the rugby field should be second nature and the coach is simply there on a holiday!

I think the issue is "remembering" that new skill when physically/mentally shattered at the back end of games

When Deans came in he made a habit of requiring the skill drills done after they were all physically exhausted

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well that's interesting.I bought this up to my Phisio..an ex wallabies World Cup winning Phisio...and he says that's not exactly correct and doesn't apply to most rugby skills. Most Players can have muscle memory and technique reset within a day to reasonable levels..even at test level.
Most goal kickers for eg are very good at shutting out the "noise" so they can concentrate on their poise and technique..but still will go games perfect and others terrible, despite no change in postures or technique!

I still think it's mostly a mental confidence thing, backed up by basic core skills drummed in from an early age! As usual..the ABs are the perfect eg...EVeRYtHING on the rugby field should be second nature and the coach is simply there on a holiday!

That's just execution. Your execution of a skill will vary from game to game but the way you attempt to execute it takes a lot of effort to change.

Hence the thousands of hours put in to goal kicking to perfect technique.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
In spite the front page news, Coetzee has changed his mind and sent home Raymund Rhule. Strangely N'kosi also sent home so you'd imagine Lleyds being out on wing, possible bench.

Jaco Kriel out so Loux joined from UK on Monday, expect him on the flank - replacing 97kg with 114kg. Which means we are back to a light-weight Aus back row compared to the Bokke. Unless Cheika makes good the threat to play Tui at #6.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon we're going to see a couple of debuts on this tour. I think Bill Meakes and Lukhan Tui will both get their first cap either in this game or against the Pumas.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
S24
Dan du Preez and S'busiso Nkosi will return to Durban on Tuesday evening to join up with the Sharks.

Meanwhile wing Raymond Rhule will re-join the Cheetahs and is available for PRO14 selection.
Cape Town - Dilln Leyds will start at wing for the Springboks in Saturday’s Rugby Championship Test against the Wallabies in Bloemfontein.
Leyds will replace an out-of-sorts Raymond Rhule, who was on Tuesday released from the Springbok squad to play for the Cheetahs in the PRO14.
S’busiso Nkosi was also released to play for the Sharks, which leaves Leyds and Courtnall Skosan as the only recognised wingers in the Bok squad.
Jesse Kriel will be the back-up winger in case of an injury.
It will be Leyds’ first start for the Springboks, having played three Tests as a substitute against France in June.
The decision to drop Rhule, who slipped nine tackles in the 57-0 loss to the All Blacks, is undertsandable but nevertheless puzzling given comments made earlier in the week by coach Allister Coetzee.
Coetzee on Monday defended Rhule and indicated that the player won’t be dropped.
“Don’t forget how good Raymond was against Australia. I’m not a coach who will look at one poor performance and chuck someone away. He was outstanding against the Wallabies,” Coetzee was quoted as saying on SuperSport.com.
“There were a few areas where the All Blacks targeted us, but we will work on that and get better. In the seven Tests Raymond has played, he has gained a lot of experience, so now do I just throw him out and start all over again with a new player?”
Other expected changes to the Bok team will come at scrumhalf where the fit-again Ross Cronje will replace Francois Hougaard, while Francois Louw could also feature in the loose trio.
Coetzee will name his Springbok side on Thursday.[/QUOTE]

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
15. F. Steyn, 14, Combrinck, 11, Leyds.

They can all play 15 and you have two monster boots in Steyn & Combrinck.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
15. F. Steyn, 14, Combrinck, 11, Leyds.

They can all play 15 and you have two monster boots in Steyn & Combrinck.

Eh? When did Combrinck join the squad? For weeks he's been the obvious missing squad member.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The Wallabies will do it tough in this game. They are not or should be not brimming with confidence after the last couple of outings but:
1. The game is at altitude.
2 The game is a home game for the Bokke and they fucking hate to lose in front of a home crowd.
3. The "rebound" effect after being embarrassed by the AB's.
4. Our so-called "finishers" are generally a poor second to the starters (IMO)
5. Foley's kicking remains suspect and we probably will leave multiple points out there on the field.
6. Our lack of previous success on this paddock.

I hope the Wallabies win but I wouldn't spend $1 backing them.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The Wallabies will do it tough in this game. They are not or should be not brimming with confidence after the last couple of outings but:
1. The game is at altitude.
2 The game is a home game for the Bokke and they fucking hate to lose in front of a home crowd.
3. The "rebound" effect after being embarrassed by the AB's.
4. Our so-called "finishers" are generally a poor second to the starters (IMO)
5. Foley's kicking remains suspect and we probably will leave multiple points out there on the field.
6. Our lack of previous success on this paddock.

I hope the Wallabies win but I wouldn't spend $1 backing them.

Isn't he 100% but for Dunedin?

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
i expect a close game with a final 3 pointer for the win (for whichever team), i really don't get why Folau is not used on the right wing adn Beale at 15 cause when they both combine, its pretty cool i would like to see Meakes/TK in the centres and Hodge and Marika (yeah Marika) on the wings, Hodge mainly to take the kicking burden away from foley (kicks at lineouts, not goals) as his kicking range is better than beale and foley. Hanigan will start at 6 even if they chop off one of his legs, hopefully a timani will start at 8 :( , new kid at hooker

this is the team they will obviously name :/
1. Sio
2. TPN
3. Kepu
4. Arnold
5. Coleman
6. Hanigan
7. HOOPER
8. McMahon
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. Hodge
12. Beale
13. TK
14. Speight
15. Folau

Reactions: TSR

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^^^^^
Theres been a lot of talk of Tui at 6.

Looking forward to Hodge taking a shot at goal from the 30m mark inside our own half at altitude.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
Might be too early for Tui to start at 6 (per chieka ofcourse) but i'd have him on the bench over Jack Dempsey.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Discipline will be an important factor if we're to win. For all the talk the Bok's backline looked impotent in their last two matches and I expect a number of their points to be scored by penalties at altitude. I do think that our discipline has improved recently and we seem to be giving away less brain fart penalties. Hope we can keep it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.