• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks EOYT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
It'll be interesting to see how the Welsh fair without scrum dominance. I think it's a fairly even matchup, considering both sides have had to shake up their backline.

I think that is a very average Welsh side and it would be very disappointing if we donlt beat them comfortably and we would only be able to blame ourselves. Their backline is almost as bad as ours.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
will change our approach for the Welsch to a ball in hand one. The only change expected is Frans in 12 and Jean to 13, Willem on the bench. Expect Lampie to enter the fray early in 10 to ignite our backs , Alberts in 8. Myself would have started with Willem and Spies as a impact player. Team will be announce today.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
will change our approach for the Welsch to a ball in hand one. The only change expected is Frans in 12 and Jean to 13, Willem on the bench. Expect Lampie to enter the fray early in 10 to ignite our backs , Alberts in 8. Myself would have started with Willem and Spies as a impact player. Team will be announce today.

I hope Willem starts against the Welsh or the Poms. I think he will be needed against the Pom vetties.

I would have liked to see Daniel and Kanko against the Welsh to speed things up. They go well together.

I am becoming a Spies non-believer and with blou blood that's a hard thing to say.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I hope Willem starts against the Welsh or the Poms. I think he will be needed against the Pom vetties.

I would have liked to see Daniel and Kanko against the Welsh to speed things up. They go well together.

I am becoming a Spies non-believer and with blou blood that's a hard thing to say.
Hats off Boetie, at least you are not one eyed.

Myself a neutral and think Spies will get better as the tour go on , need a bit of confidense.

Think Alberts for Juan , Kankowski for Spies and Daniels for Stegman, Lambie for Morne , Kirschner for Muskiet from the bench the way to go. Horses for courses.

Conservative you'd want to start with Juan, Spies, Stegman, Morne and Kirschner and let the game breakers do their stuff.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I think that is a very average Welsh side and it would be very disappointing if we donlt beat them comfortably and we would only be able to blame ourselves. Their backline is almost as bad as ours.
First thought Blou is a bit arrogantbut decided to look into the stats and comparing the Bok team that beats them earlier in Cardiff to the possible pone that will run out saturday

5th June South Africa: 15 Frans Steyn, 14 Gio Aplon, 13 Jaque Fourie, 12 Juan de Jongh, 11 Odwa Ndungane, 10 Ruan Pienaar, 9 Ricky Januarie, 8 Joe van Niekerk, 7 Dewald Potgieter, 6 François Louw, 5 Victor Matfield, 4 Danie Rossouw, 3 BJ Botha, 2 John Smit, 1 CJ van der Linde.
Replacements: 16 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 17 Jannie du Plessis, 18 Alistair Hargreaves, 19 Ryan Kankowski, 20 Meyer Bosman, 21 Zane Kirchner, 22 Bjorn Basson.

with a probable
15 Gio Aplon 14 Bjorn Basson 13 Jean de Villiers 12 Frans Steyn 11 Bryan Habana 10 Morne Steyn 9 Ruan Pienaar 8 Pierre Spies 7 Juan Smith 6 Deon Stegmann 5 Victor Matfield (captain)
4 Bakkies Botha 3 Jannie du Plessis 2 Bismarck du Plessis 1 Tendai Mtawarira
REPLACEMENTS 16 Chiliboy Ralepelle 17 CJ van der Linde 18 Flip van der Merwe 19 Willem Alberts 20 Francois Hougaard 21 Adi Jacobs 22 Patrick Lambie

look like you got it right.

The Welsch team that lost 5th June:
Wales: 15 Lee Byrne, 14 Leigh Halfpenny, 13 James Hook, 12 Jamie Roberts, 11 Tom Prydie, 10 Stephen Jones, 9 Mike Phillips, 8 Ryan Jones (c), 7 Sam Warburton, 6 Jonathan Thomas, 5 Deiniol Jones, 4 Bradley Davies, 3 Adam Jones, 2 Matthew Rees, 1 Paul James.
Replacements: 16 Huw Bennett, 17 John Yapp, 18 Alun Wyn Jones, 19 Rob McCusker, 20 Richie Rees, 21 Dan Biggar, 22 Andrew Bishop.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
South Africa:
15 Gio Aplon, 14 Bjorn Basson, 13 Frans Steyn, 12 Jean de Villiers, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Morne Steyn, 9 Ruan Pienaar, 8 Pierre Spies, 7 Juan Smith, 6 Deon Stegmann, 5 Victor Matfield (captain), 4 Bakkies Botha, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Beast Mtawarira

Substitutes: 16 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 17 CJ van der Linde, 18 Flip van der Merwe, 19 TBA, 20 Francois Hougaard, 21 Zane Kirchner, 22 Pat Lambie

19 Will be either Alberts or Daniels.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Not all that fussed but I think Spies is lucky as all hell.

I am glad in a way they gave Stegmann another go - he will get better as he had no match fitness.

I would think Jean and Steyn will switcheroo quite a bit.

Surprised Mvovo doesn't get a run. That's a good impact bench. I hop Hougaard gets a run. Even on the wing.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Facts o File alla SA Rugby
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff, 13 November 2010

Saturday’s Test match will be the 25th between Wales and South Africa. The Springboks were unbeaten in 12 consecutive tests in this fixture between 1906 and 1998 with 11 wins and one draw (in 1970).

The Springbok’s only loss against Wales came in 1999 when Gary Teichmann’s team lost 29-19 in the first Test match at the new Millennium Stadium. South Africa have won 11 consecutive Tests against Wales since 1999.

South Africa’s overall record against Wales is: Played 24; Won 22; Lost 1; Drawn 1; Points for 669; Points against 326; Tries for 85; Tries against 28; Average score 28-14.

South Africa’s record against Wales at this venue (including matches played at the Cardiff Arms Park) is Played 14; Won 12; Lost 1; Drawn 1; Points for 276; Points against 193; Tries for 32; Tries against 15; Average score 20-14.

Milestones

Victor Matfield will become the most capped Springbok of all time, winning his 103rd cap.

Matfield will also join Percy Montgomery and John Smit as the most capped players against Wales with 9 Test caps.

Victor Matfield and Bakkies Botha will extend their World Record of most Tests as a lock combination in the starting line-up to 58.

Bismarck and Jannie du Plessis will play their 12th Test match together; the most by a set of brothers in Springbok Rugby.

Record watch

Bryan Habana needs one try to become South Africa’s most prolific try scorer in Tests. Habana currently shares the record with Joost van der Westhuizen on 38 Test tries.

Should Jean de Villiers score a try, he will equal Joost van der Westhuizen’s record of 6 career tries against Wales. He will also equal Jaque Fourie’s record as the most capped Springbok centre – 51.

Should Juan Smith score a try, he will equal Schalk Burger’s record of 12 tries in tests as a flank.

CJ van der Linde needs one try to join three other Springboks (Chris Koch, Os du Randt and Gurthrö Steenkamp) as the top try scorer for a prop in tests.

Bismarck du Plessis needs one try to become the sole record holder for most tries in tests by a hooker. He is currently level with James Dalton on 5 career tries.

Match records in Tests between Wales and South Africa

Wales

Biggest win – 10 (29-19) in Cardiff, 1999

Most points – 36 in Cardiff, 2004

Most tries – 3 in Cardiff, 2004 and again in Cardiff, 2010

Most conversions – 3 in Cardiff, 2004

Most penalty goals – 5 on five occasions

Most drop goals – 1 in Bloemfontein, 2002 and again in Cardiff, 2010

Most points by a player – 21 – SM Jones in Cardiff, 2004

Most tries by a player – 2 – GL Henson in Cardiff, 2004

Most conversions by a player – 3 – SM Jones in Cardiff, 2004

Most penalty goals by a player – 5 – NR Jenkins on 3 occasions (Cardiff, 1996; Wembley, 1998 and Cardiff, 1999) and SM Jones in Cardiff, 2004

Most drop goals by a player – 1 – SM Jones in Bloemfontein, 2002 and JW Hook in Cardiff, 2010

South Africa

Biggest win – 83 (96-13) in Pretoria, 1998

Most points – 96 in Pretoria, 1998

Most tries – 15 in Pretoria, 1998

Most conversions – 9 in Pretoria, 1998

Most penalty goals – 5 in Bloemfontein, 2008 and again in Cardiff, 2010

Most drop goals – 1 in Cardiff, 1951 and again in Durban, 1964

Most points by a player – 31 – PC Montgomery in Pretoria, 1998

Most tries by a player – 3 – JH van der Westhuizen in Cardiff, 1996 and PWG Rossouw in Pretoria, 1998

Most conversions by a player – 9 – PC Montgomery in Pretoria, 1998

Most penalty goals by a player – 5 – AD James in Bloemfontein, 2008

Most drop goals by a player – 1 – JD Brewis in Cardiff, 1951 and LG Wilson in Durban, 1964
See we have Steve Welsch on duty. Must be a first for a long time we get a SH one.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
5th June South Africa: 15 Frans Steyn, 14 Gio Aplon, 13 Jaque Fourie, 12 Juan de Jongh, 11 Odwa Ndungane, 10 Ruan Pienaar, 9 Ricky Januarie, 8 Joe van Niekerk, 7 Dewald Potgieter, 6 François Louw, 5 Victor Matfield, 4 Danie Rossouw, 3 BJ Botha, 2 John Smit, 1 CJ van der Linde.
Replacements: 16 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 17 Jannie du Plessis, 18 Alistair Hargreaves, 19 Ryan Kankowski, 20 Meyer Bosman, 21 Zane Kirchner, 22 Bjorn Basson.

with a probable
15 Gio Aplon 14 Bjorn Basson 13 Jean de Villiers 12 Frans Steyn 11 Bryan Habana 10 Morne Steyn 9 Ruan Pienaar 8 Pierre Spies 7 Juan Smith 6 Deon Stegmann 5 Victor Matfield (captain)
4 Bakkies Botha 3 Jannie du Plessis 2 Bismarck du Plessis 1 Tendai Mtawarira
REPLACEMENTS 16 Chiliboy Ralepelle 17 CJ van der Linde 18 Flip van der Merwe 19 Willem Alberts 20 Francois Hougaard 21 Adi Jacobs 22 Patrick Lambie

Wales
5th of June:

15 Lee Byrne, 14 Leigh Halfpenny, 13 James Hook, 12 Jamie Roberts, 11 Tom Prydie, 10 Stephen Jones, 9 Mike Phillips, 8 Ryan Jones (c), 7 Sam Warburton, 6 Jonathan Thomas, 5 Deiniol Jones, 4 Bradley Davies, 3 Adam Jones, 2 Matthew Rees, 1 Paul James.
Replacements: 16 Huw Bennett, 17 John Yapp, 18 Alun Wyn Jones, 19 Rob McCusker, 20 Richie Rees, 21 Dan Biggar, 22 Andrew Bishop.

vs saturdays
15 Lee Byrne; 14 George North, 13 Tom Shanklin, 12 James Hook, 11 Shane Williams; 10 Stephen Jones, 9 Mike Phillips; 1 Gethin Jenkins, 2 Matthew Rees (C), 3 Adam Jones, 4 Bradley Davies, 5 Alun Wyn Jones, 6 Dan Lydiate, 7 Martyn Williams, 8 Jonathan Thomas

Replacements: 16 Huw Bennett, 17 Paul James, 18 Ryan Jones, 19 Andy Powell, 20 Richie Rees, 21 Andrew Bishop, 22 Chris Czekaj

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Willem Alberts ready to rumble
SARugby
Sharks back row forward Willem Alberts was confirmed as the replacement loose forward in the Springbok team to meet Wales at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff on Saturday. Alberts passed a fitness test on Thursday to take the place he had been slated to have in the No 19 jersey for Saturday's Test against Ireland.

Alberts has recovered from a calf strain sustained in the Absa Currie Cup final and replaces Sharks team-mate Keegan Daniel who made his debut from the bench in the 23-21 victory at the Aviva Stadium.

“Willem has had an outstanding season for The Sharks as one of the most effective ball carriers in the South African game,” said Peter de Villiers, Springbok coach.

“He has been nursing the injury since our preliminary training camp before the Absa Currie Cup final and has spent a frustrating couple of weeks watching from the sidelines and is hungry to get back into action.”

Status
Not open for further replies.