• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks EOYT

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Right after the CC finals lets get into test mood. We have one hell of a big account to settle with the Iere, feel like ages since we could beat them.

The Bok selectors have picked a form player squad for the first time in ages and thats a good start. Picking the match 22 with no games to get the house in order its all about combinations and gameplan they want to play.

Myself is pretty sure we have to switch to a ball in hand approach as soon as possible. I also dont doubt that we have to players to change to this and they are in the squad.

My match XV will be
Muskiet (Steyn not allowed to play), Habana, JdJ, Jean, Basson, Lampie, Pienaar, Spies, Juan, Schalkie, Bakkies, Matfield, Jannie, Battleship, Beast.

The war will be won by the pack. With Battleship back in 2 , we have a much more balanced pack. He is your fetcher you need and we just have to dominate up front. Give the likes of Lampie, Pienaar the freedom to ignite the gamebreakers like Jean, JdJ and a deadly back 3. Defensively with Lampie we'll be much better in the rush defense. He plays much closer to the pack.

Bring on the Bleek Bene!

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
My match XV will be
Muskiet (Steyn not allowed to play), Habana, JdJ, Jean, Basson, Lampie, Pienaar, Spies, Juan, Schalkie, Bakkies, Matfield, Jannie, Battleship, Beast.

The war will be won by the pack. With Battleship back in 2 , we have a much more balanced pack. He is your fetcher you need and we just have to dominate up front. Give the likes of Lampie, Pienaar the freedom to ignite the gamebreakers like Jean, JdJ and a deadly back 3. Defensively with Lampie we'll be much better in the rush defense. He plays much closer to the pack.

Bring on the Bleek Bene!

Paarl,
1. Do you think that Lambie will get selected over Steyn?
2. Will they keep playing Spies (though he should go better against NH teams)?
3. Will Beast get the spot?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
1. Dunno
2. Ja he'll be picked , specially now with Schalkie gone
3. Beast for sure

Schalkie and Juan de Jong gone, Stegman, Kirschner in

Sport24
Boks on Tour

Double blow to Boks' hopes
2010-11-01 14:55Email | Print

Schalk Burger (File)

Johannesburg - Schalk Burger and Juan de Jongh have been withdrawn from the Springbok squad as a result of injuries suffered in Saturday’s Currie Cup final.

The pair were scanned in Johannesburg on Monday morning and were immediately ruled out of the tour.

Burger has a broken rib while De Jongh suffered a hairline fracture to his left ankle. Experienced centre Adi Jacobs - who had been called up as a precaution - has been drafted into the tour squad as a replacement for De Jongh.

Burger is replaced by the uncapped Deon Stegmann of the Blue Bulls while his team-mate Zane Kirchner has also been added to squad to restore the party to 30.

“It’s a blow to lose players but we’ve rolled with the punch and already moved on,” said Springbok coach Peter de Villiers.

”We trained without them this morning and we already had contingency plans in mind which we’ve begun to put into operation. It’s not an ideal situation but we’ve all got on with our jobs and are focused only on the players that we have in camp.”

Meanwhile Jean de Villiers (groin), Willem Alberts (calf) and Chiliboy Ralepelle (flu) took no part in either of the Springboks’ two field sessions on Monday. The Springbok team for the test against Ireland will now be named on Thursday due to the injury disruptions.

“We’ll give the players some more time in rehab before we confirm the team,” said De Villiers. “We have the line-up in mind but want to make sure everyone’s OK before making the announcement.

The latest withdrawals take to 13 the number of players who have been forced out of the tour by injury. They are: John Smit, Jaque Fourie, Wynand Olivier, Andries Bekker, Fourie du Preez, Heinrich Brüssow, JP Pietersen, Gurthrö Steenkamp, Butch James, BJ Botha, Ricky Januarie, Schalk Burger and Juan de Jongh.

The Springboks’ fixtures are:

November 6 v Ireland (Dublin)
November 13 v Wales (Cardiff)
November 20 v Scotland (Edinburgh)
November 27 v England (Twickenham)
December 4 v Barbarians (Twickenham)

Tour squad (* Indicates new cap):

Backs
Gio Aplon (Western Province); Age: 28; Test caps: 9
Bjorn Basson (Blue Bulls); 23, 2
Jean de Villiers (Western Province); 29, 63
Francois Hougaard (Blue Bulls); 22, 5
Bryan Habana (Western Province); 27, 66
Adi Jacobs (Sharks); 30, 30
* Elton Jantjies (Golden Lions); 20, 0
Zane Kirchner (Blue Bulls); 26, 10
* Patrick Lambie (Sharks); 20, 0
* Lwazi Mvovo (Sharks); 24, 0
Ruan Pienaar (Ulster, Northern Ireland); 26, 43
Frans Steyn (Racing Metro, France); 23, 39
Morne Steyn (Blue Bulls); 26, 21

Forwards
* Willem Alberts (Sharks); Age: 26, Test caps: 0
Bakkies Botha (Blue Bulls); 31, 68
* Keegan Daniel (Sharks); 25, 0
Bismarck du Plessis (Sharks); 26, 32
Jannie du Plessis (Sharks); 28, 20
Alistair Hargreaves (Sharks); 24, 2
Ryan Kankowski (Sharks); 25, 16
Victor Matfield (captain, Blue Bulls); 33, 101
Tendai Mtawarira (The Sharks); 25, 22
* Coenie Oosthuizen (Cheetahs); 21, 0
Chiliboy Ralepelle (Blue Bulls); 24, 17
Juan Smith (Cheetahs); 29, 65
Pierre Spies (Blue Bulls); 25, 37
* Deon Stegmann (Blue Bulls); 24, 0
Adriaan Strauss (Cheetahs); 24, 7
CJ van der Linde (Cheetahs); 30, 65
Flip van der Merwe (Blue Bulls); 25, 6

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I remember seeing Basson play for the Cheetahs in 09. I thought he was electric on his feet. He scored some amazing tries

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Good news for us; Earls is back in full training. Was looking iffy with his ankle. Bit more optimistic about BOD, too (on no rational basis at all, btw).

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Paarl,
1. Do you think that Lambie will get selected over Steyn?
2. Will they keep playing Spies (though he should go better against NH teams)?
3. Will Beast get the spot?

1. With the centre crisis Lambie will possible start there amd regardless I don't think he would have started anyway.
2. He should go worse up there. His game is less suited to NH conditions. guys like Alberts will be far better suited.
3. The other LH is a 21 old rookie so yes.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Bring Lampie off the bench but stick with Steyn on the run on.

DeVilliers and Jacobs would be your centres?

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Wider Irish squad:

IRELAND SQUAD (30): R Best, T Bowe, T Buckley, T Court, S Cronin, G D’Arcy, G Duffy, K Earls, S Ferris, L Fitzgerald, J Hayes, C Healy, J Heaslip, R Kearney, D Leamy, J Muldoon, J Murphy, D O’Callaghan, R O’Gara, S O’Brien, B O’Driscoll, M O’Driscoll, E Reddan, D Ryans, J Sexton, P Stringer, D Toner, A Trimble, D Wallace, P Wallace

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Is Habana showing any signs of returning to form? He was being booed by his own crowd in the last Aus vs RSA match as I recall.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Is Habana showing any signs of returning to form? He was being booed by his own crowd in the last Aus vs RSA match as I recall.

Coming along nicely. Looked very sharp in the CC semi. Not quite the Habana we hope for but way better than what we saw earlier this year.

We do know of course that under PdV he will be reduced to kick chase so I give him two matches and he will start sulking around the park again.

U

Utility Back

No love for Francois hougaard Paarl? I thought he was one of your standouts this year both super and international.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
No love for Francois hougaard Paarl? I thought he was one of your standouts this year both super and international.
Nah I like Hougaard, was picking the combo. Yesterday they had Steyn/Lampie in the 10/12 positions, switching around and AD in 13. If thats not enough they had Spies/Smith/Kankowski in the 8,7 & 6 positions.

Look like Muir want to double pack the midfield with loosies and bakkie chasers.

Still think the tight 5 will be the important and praying for rain in Ierland on saturday.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Spies/Smith/Kankowski in the 8,7 & 6 positions.

That back row was not good enough in Brisbane.
What''s changed.

If they play that back row, I give up.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Spies/Smith/Kankowski in the 8,7 & 6 positions.

That back row was not good enough in Brisbane.
What''s changed.

Ireland don't have an out-and-out fetcher for one thing. They don't seem to believe in them north of the equator.

Status
Not open for further replies.