• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks Squad named

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Dunno Boet, his team played like shite in the first part of the tournament. I'll have Johnson ahead of him any day. He'll disappear when the going gets tough.
What's with the double standards Paarl? Ashley is about to do the chicken run and you want him to play?

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
Based on the shadow teams at training today, the run on XV will be:

Probable Bok starting team: 15 Zane Kirchner, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Jean de Villiers (captain), 12 Frans Steyn, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Morné Steyn, 9 Francois Hougaard, 8 Pierre Spies, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Marcell Coetzee, 5 Juandré Kruger, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Beast Mtawarira.

Sideshow Bob at fullback over Patrick Lambie is the biggest head scratcher. I guess Lambie playing 10 for the Sharks influenced this (or Meyer's blue tinted glasses)

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Based on the shadow teams at training today, the run on XV will be:

Probable Bok starting team: 15 Zane Kirchner, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Jean de Villiers (captain), 12 Frans Steyn, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Morné Steyn, 9 Francois Hougaard, 8 Pierre Spies, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Marcell Coetzee, 5 Juandré Kruger, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Beast Mtawarira.

Sideshow Bob at fullback over Patrick Lambie is the biggest head scratcher. I guess Lambie playing 10 for the Sharks influenced this (or Meyer's blue tinted glasses)

Kirchner. :D:eek::mad:

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Apart of Kirschner (should be Lampie) I am excited with this team. Right combos and enough fire power to down the Poms. Best match 15 selection possibly you'd get out of the sqaud.

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
I never trust shadow teams, but if that is the run on 15 it's pretty solid. Concerns are :

JdV at 13. Poms might look to exploit his slight inexperience defensively in this position. Having said that, the pairing of Frans Steyn and JdV could be very solid.

Jannie and Bismarck. If I were the Poms I'd target these two. Jannie especially is a hothead and both are good for a few penalties. Get Bismarck playing the man rather than the ball and you eliminate one of his strengths (turnovers). Top tip for any country wanting to beat the Boks, win the scrums. Mentally, it kills the Boks :(

Two inexperienced locks. Both good enough mind.

Kirchner remains a bit of an enigma for me. Another player who hasn't quite made the step up to international level, but on the other hand has been playing well for the Bulls.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I have confidense with Jean in 13. Know he played all his schoolboy and youth rugby in this position and altho he look slow he have enough speed. You can expect him to shootup quickly in defense, just hope the two Steyns can smuther the inside. The scrums will be OK and the best fatty frontrow we could pick at the moment. I also like the two young locks, cant wait to see Etsebet in tandem with Battleship on the drive. Always good to have some soldiers in the pack specially against the Poms.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Jean did poorly at 13 for Munster and actually got dropped if memory serves.

On Kirchner. Look I don't even want him in the squad but on the other hand I can't remember him doing badly in a test. He is extremely solid. Remember he played 13 against Ireland as well and was very solid and not phased by playing out of position.

He is not flash but will take the high ball, run straight and he kicks the thing a long way. No big flashy breaks from the back but he will be good enough.

I still hope its a rumor and he picks Pat.

Eztebeth is a monster in the making. Love every second of watching him.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Team will be named today and will be the same as the one I qouted earlier.
The new backline coach view on the backline
Sport24
Lambie 'better at No 10'

2012-06-06 07:45
Email | Print

Ricardo Loubscher (GalloImages)
Cape Town - Springbok backline coach Ricardo Loubscher feels Pat Lambie's future in the Springbok team lies in the flyhalf position.

The 21-year-old played fullback for the Boks at last year's World Cup in New Zealand but has been mainly used at flyhalf by the Sharks in Super Rugby this year.

"I would say flyhalf is his best position. Pat took the right decisions under pressure at the Sharks and that’s what you expect from a flyhalf," Loubscher told Die Burger.

However, with Zane Kirchner likely to start at fullback and Morné Steyn the incumbent at flyhalf, Lambie looks set for a bench role against the English in the upcoming three-Test series.

But Loubscher also didn't rule out the possibility of Lambie featuring at fullback in future.

"It depends on what you need on the day. They (Lambie and Kirchner) have different strong points."

Loubscher also feels captain Jean de Villiers fits perfectly into the outside centre berth for the Springbok game plan.

"I prefer Jean at outside centre due to the way we play. If you play direct rugby, your inside centre can get you over the advantage line. Then, when the ball goes wide, you'll have your best decision maker at outside centre.

"Frans Steyn is for me the best at inside centre because you then effectively have two flyhalves. Then we're also in a position to have good decision makers and tactical kickers at flyhalf and inside centre," said Loubscher.

The first Test in Durban kicks off at 17:00 on Saturday, followed by Tests in Johannesburg (16 June) and Port Elizabeth (23 June).

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Not a good view. When Goosen makes it to the Bok squad next year, and he should, then will Lambie be sitting on the bench for the rest of his career?

Ridiculous, Lambie need to start at 15.

"Frans Steyn is for me the best at inside centre because you then effectively have two flyhalves."

What!?

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Not a good view. When Goosen makes it to the Bok squad next year, and he should, then will Lambie be sitting on the bench for the rest of his career?

Ridiculous, Lambie need to start at 15.

"Frans Steyn is for me the best at inside centre because you then effectively have two flyhalves."

What!?

Quite scary isn't it? I seem to remember reading all along that Meyer sees Lambie as a 15. Now the backs coach is saying something different? Frans Steyn a 2nd flyhalf? Surely he's joking.

What are Loubscher's coaching credentials anyway?? A couple of seasons coaching in the junior ranks at the Bulls? Does that qualify him to be the best available backline coach for the national team??

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)

What!?

Probably referring to the Kiwi model where they often play their #12 as a second flyhalf (or at least they's what they say). That's why they have a 1st 5/8 (#10) and a 2nd 5/8 (#12). I don't believe Steyn is a fantastic flyhalf but he has played the position a fair amount, so I can understand where Loubscher is coming from.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The biggest worry for me in that 10/12/13 channel will be the defense. They wont be near as effective as the Grant/Jean/JdJ combo. Lampie should play 15, finish en klaar. I'd even pick Joe P ifo Sideshow.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Probably referring to the Kiwi model where they often play their #12 as a second flyhalf (or at least they's what they say). That's why they have a 1st 5/8 (#10) and a 2nd 5/8 (#12). I don't believe Steyn is a fantastic flyhalf but he has played the position a fair amount, so I can understand where Loubscher is coming from.
You can have three in that channel if you pick Lampie in 15.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Oh I understood that but to start talking about Frans as a flyhalf sent a shiver down my spine.

Why do I get the impression that Ricardo should not be talking to the media? It's just a feeling I have. First he talks about how we are going to run all over the Pom 10/12 channel and now this?

Shhh.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
South Africa:
15 Zane Kirchner, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Jean de Villiers (captain), 12 Frans Steyn, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Morné Steyn, 9 Francois Hougaard, 8 Pierre Spies, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Marcell Coetzee, 5 Juandré Kruger, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Beast Mtawarira

Substitues: 16 Adriaan Strauss, 17 Coenie Oosthuizen, 18 Flip van der Merwe, 19 Keegan Daniel, 20 Ruan Pienaar, 21 Pat Lambie, 22 Wynand Olivier

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Other than Zane and Wynand I'll take it

Fark Lambie should have started.

Anyway let's have 'em and spoil Ma'am's party.

Status
Not open for further replies.