• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks Squad named

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Congrats to the newbies. Specially Etsebet
Eben1.jpg

This kid has rise in SA Rugby probably more then anyone else. Starting as debutant for the Stormers this year and hope he'll rise in the Bok jersey aswell. Nice article about the Ysterbeth in G&G.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.co.za/the-terminator-from-parow/

How did I miss that one? :oops:

J

Jiggles

Horses for courses team really, isn't it. Territory game with direct runners. The Back row isn't all that dynamic, but the front row makes up for that. I would've loved to have seen Kolisi in there. I am really impressed with both Kruger and Etzebeth but question a rookie 2nd row pairing. Etzebeth, in particular is going to have a big big future in the green jersey.

Nothing too interesting happing in the Backline, although I am scratching my head with Kirchner.

Has the England team been posted? I think with their likely scrum, they will have it over the Boks in the scrum, but aren't dynamic enough to stretch them wide, which is where the Boks struggle.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Big wraps from Meyer on Etzebeth! I have been similarly impressed with Etzebeth this year. He has been immense. I wonder whether all the publicity he is receiving will be good or bad for him in the short to medium term though. You don't want to put too much pressure and expectation on a player so early in his career! He is only 20 years old and it's his first season of senior rugby!

Could work in his favour too I guess. Knowing how highly the national coach rates him could be a big boost for his confidence (hopefully this is the case!).

I guess the coaches who are dealing with him on a daily basis and have a good idea of his character, would have a greater idea of what impact these comments might have on him.

Eben could top Bakkies - Meyer
2012-06-06 22:52

afec6b5b4a694f19ba31e614de9a722f.jpg

Eben Etzebeth (File)

Cape Town - Springbok coach Heyneke Meyer has predicted that Eben Etzebeth will become a better lock than his predecessor, Bakkies Botha.

Meyer on Wednesday picked three new caps to take on England in Durban on Saturday, with locks Etzebeth and Juandré Kruger both set for their first Test, with flanker Marcell Coetzee the third uncapped player.

Meyer said he simply had no choice to pick the young Etzebeth, as he felt the 20-year-old Stormers player was the country's best performing lock in the Super Rugby tournament this year.

"I took the decision based on form. Eben brings us something different and competes well in the lineouts. I wouldn't say he's the next Bakkies. I think he's going to surpass that standard," Meyer told Die Burger.

"Eben could become a world class lock. He's physical, big and doesn't shy away from contact. I think he was the best lock in Super Rugby thus far and it's only fair that I pick him."

The first Test in Durban kicks off at 17:00 on Saturday, followed by Tests in Johannesburg (16 June) and Port Elizabeth (23 June).
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Engl...ould-top-Bakkies-Botha-Heyneke-Meyer-20120606

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
"I took the decicision based on form." - Meyer

Maybe Deans needs to take note to how other coaches select there squad.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The guy is a monster and seems to have a level head on that massive frame.

With the likes of Frans Malherbe at 3 who looks to really have the goods SA could have a formidable tight five in the not too distant future.

Of all the Bok forwards the biggest pressure in on Jannie Du Plessis. He needs to deliver.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Saw last night Joe Pietersen, Tiaan Liebenberg and Kolisi is also running in the Bok practises in Durban.

Tordah

Dave Cowper (27)
Of all the Bok forwards the biggest pressure in on Jannie Du Plessis. He needs to deliver.

Who's next cab off the rank at tighthead for you guys? It's the one position I'm not so sure that the Boks have any depth at all. Werner Kruger seems to be a shit scrummager, he gets penalised all the time.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Who's next cab off the rank at tighthead for you guys? It's the one position I'm not so sure that the Boks have any depth at all. Werner Kruger seems to be a shit scrummager, he gets penalised all the time.
Frans Malherbe from the Stormers is in the extended practise group. Means he is the next one in after Kruger.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Kruger a bit shit? Just shit will do.

It is our worst position by far at the moment as far as depth is concerned. I will think WP Nel should have been picked ahead of Kruger.

I have been banging on about Malherbe from the Stormers. Massive potential. Perfect body shap for tight head but young. He is with the squad and will be working with Pieter de Villiers who was the best TH in the world when he played for the French so I am hoping they can fast track Malherbe.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Kruger a bit shit? Just shit will do.

It is our worst position by far at the moment as far as depth is concerned. I will think WP Nel should have been picked ahead of Kruger.

I have been banging on about Malherbe from the Stormers. Massive potential. Perfect body shap for tight head but young. He is with the squad and will be working with Pieter de Villiers who was the best TH in the world when he played for the French so I am hoping they can fast track Malherbe.
Malherbe have been massive all season for the Stormers. Actually won a few matches when he came on in the second half. Pretty sure if he can handle S15 rugby he should do well at international level. He got a very good technic and is powerfull, since his GalPil days at school.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Saffers always have a special way of treating rugby. have to take it with a bit of salt.

http://www.simplysean.co.za/2012/06/06/springbok-team-what-the-past-coaches-think/

Springbok Team: What the Past Coaches Think

by Sean Wilson on June 6th, 2012
The Springbok match 22 has been selected to face England in the first test in Durban on Saturday. Here’s a list of the 22, along with comments made by some past Springbok coaches.
15. ZANE KIRCHNER
-Jake White: “Lambie is very unlucky not to make the starting team. Big call from Heyneke.”
-Nick Mallett: “Bad selection. He tries to join the backline too much, he can’t kick with his left foot and he clearly doesn’t use Lambie’s shampoo enough.”
-Andre Markgraaf: “I hate him.”
-Peter de Villiers: “Most of us were expecting him to pick Lambie, but it seems Heyneke has pulled a bull out of a hat. But Heyneke must be careful, because pulling a bull out of a hat is not magic. That is why God made rabbits.”
14. JP Pietersen
-White: “Has been the classiest, most consistent right wing in the country for years.”
-Mallett: “Bad selection. He’s been playing at centre too much this year, he doesn’t communicate enough and sometimes he wears coloured boots that puts his teammates off”.
-Markgraaf: “I hate him.”
-De Villiers: “Hopefully he’ll get some ball that will enable him to attack, because attack is the best form of defence. Except tackling, of course. That’s much better defence.”
13. JEAN DE VILLIERS (Captain)
-White: “Was one of my most trusted senior players and he fully deserves to be captain.”
-Mallett: “Too much of a maverick to be captain and even though I haven’t seen him play outside centre for 10 years, I know he’s too slow for the position.”
-Markgraaf: “I like him.”
-De Villiers: “I’m happy for him. He has the same surname as me and people often ask if we are related. That makes Jean laugh. I don’t know why. Maybe it’s because I’m much shorter than he is.”
12. FRANCOIS STEYN
-White: “Heyneke’s just copying my World Cup selection.”
-Mallett: “Bad selection. What if he tries one of those huge drop kicks that hits the post, bounces back so far it lands in our 22 and puts us under pressure? Liability.”
-Markgraaf: “I like him.”
-De Villiers: “We had our differences when he wanted to stay in France. I told him that if God wanted us to live in France, why can you buy croissants at Checkers on a Sunday?”
11. BRYAN HABANA
-White: “I taught him everything he knows about wing play.”
-Mallett: “His peripheral vision is not up to scratch, he doesn’t cover his fullback on defence and he eats too many carbohydrates on match day.”
-Markgraaf: “I hate him. Wait…I like him. Wait…ag, I don’t know. They must bring back the Race Classification Council because some of these ohs are bladdy confusing.”
-De Villiers: “People have been critical of him in the past because they expect so much of him. I told him not to worry, because people also expected us to win the World Cup, and look how that turned out. It just goes to show that sometimes people are wrong.”
10. MORNE STEYN
-White: “He’s been playing well and has a history of kicking well under pressure.”
-Mallett: “His defence is shocking, his distribution’s appalling and I’ll bet that if you tell him his faults, he’ll cry just like Gaffie did.”
-Andre Markgraaf has been forcibly removed due to his inappropriate outbursts
-De Villiers: “People say that the way he plays isn’t pretty. But beauty is only skin deep. Ugly goes right down to the bone.”
9. FRANCOIS HOUGAARD
-White: “Can’t find any fault with his play.”
-Mallett: “I can. His box kicks aren’t effective enough. One day he’s going to drop the ball during one of his ’swallow dives’ over the tryline. Too many tattoos.”
-De Villiers: “Has had to bide his time, but good things come to those who wait, and if you wait long enough for delivery, the pizza will be free.”
8. PIERRE SPIES
-White: “Magnificent athlete.”
-Mallett: “His tackling is weak, his running with the ball is mindless and he gets homesick.”
-De Villiers: “I treated him like a bull in a china shop. He didn’t understand why we were talking about Bulls in China when he wants to talk about the Bulls playing in Japan. He has a lot to learn.”
7. WILLEM ALBERTS
-White: “Has all the attributes fill the void left by Juan Smith.”
-Mallett: “He’s too slow, he doesn’t link with the backs and the players don’t know whether to speak English or Afrikaans to him.”
-De Villiers: “He was disappointed that I kept picking Schalk Burger ahead of him. I told him that if he wanted to play in a Springbok team without Schalk in it, then he better buy a tutu and play in a ballerina outfit. Then he understood, and told me that he didn’t like the Bulls away strip either.”
6. MARCELL COETZEE
-White: “Sorry, I didn’t hear you. Who’s the other flank? I was too busy asking Heinrich to fetch me a beer.”
-Mallett: “Earlier I said he would be my pick, but it’s different now that he’s actually been picked. Bad selection.”
-De Villiers: “Heinrich is very unlucky. That’s the way the ball bounces sometimes. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, but it doesn’t make the ball rounder. That’s why he’s been dropped.”
5. JUANDRE KRUGER
-White: “I hope they’ve updated the line-out calls. ‘Een, twee, drie, Victor!’ isn’t going to work any more.”
-Mallett: “Doesn’t do enough in the tight loose, isn’t strong enough in the scrums and he doesn’t understand why South Africa has three capital cities.”
-De Villiers: “On debut, you must put your hand up and come to the party. The coach must tell him that even if the fans are expecting him to turn water into wine, he must relax because everyone’s drinking Powerade.”
4. EBEN ETZEBETH
-White: “Awesome physical power.”
-Mallett: “It’s wrong to have two locks on debut. His work at the line-outs is weak and he’s too young to remember when I was coach.”
-De Villiers: “He’s a huge lock, like the tower of Babel, which is why the coach must speak different languages to him. At first you speak English, and he’ll understand. Then you speak Afrikaans, and he’ll understand. Then you speak to him in Xhosa, and then he won’t understand. That’s when you say ‘That is why I am the coach.’.”
3. JANNIE DU PLESSIS
-White: “I only picked tighthead props with initials instead of first names.”
-Mallett: “His discipline is poor, he should get murdered at the scrums and there’s a risk he’ll undermine the team doctor.”
-De Villiers: “I used to tell him that even though he’s a doctor, laughter is the best medicine. Unless you have a headache, then laughter is just a moersa lotta kak.”
2. BISMARCK DU PLESSIS (VICE-CAPTAIN)
-White: “They should have brought back John Smit.”
-Mallett: “Him and his brother are a 5-penalty package. I would never have picked a hooker with such bad discipline. James Dalton was a saint.”
-De Villiers: “He would always get upset that I didn’t start him. I told him that there’s no difference between starting and being on the bench, except that starting feels better. It didn’t cheer him up.”
1. TENDAI ‘BEAST’ MTAWARIRA
-White: “On track to being the new Os.”
-Mallett: “He’s not lifting his jumpers at the kick-offs properly. He’s doing it just to show off his strength to the crowd. When the crowd shouts his name it makes me jealous…I mean, it makes the players jealous.”
-De Villiers: “He was always my first name on the teamsheet, because I started the team with ‘Number 1′.”
RESERVES:
16. ADRIAAN STRAUSS
17. COENIE OOSTHUIZEN
18. FLIP VAN DER MERWE
19. KEEGAN DANIEL
20. RUAN PIENAAR
21. PATRICK LAMBIE
22. WYNAND OLIVIER
-White: “Well, I hope he’s got the team right. If he hasn’t and we lose the series, I’d like to coach South Africa again. If he gets it wrong and they give England a hiding, I would like to coach England. We’ll see, because I’d also like to coach Australia, but my loyalty is with the Brumbies.”
-Mallett: “There’s not enough positions covered on the bench. Wait, I’m getting an sms from Andre Markgraaf… it says ‘I like the whole bench.’”
-De Villiers: “It’s not the team I expected. Fool me once, and shame on me, but if the little boy who cried wolf leads the horse to water, I shall not drink. For I am not a sheep. I am the walrus.”

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Malherbe have been massive all season for the Stormers. Actually won a few matches when he came on in the second half. Pretty sure if he can handle S15 rugby he should do well at international level. He got a very good technic and is powerfull, since his GalPil days at school.

He wasn't great against the Sharks and battled a bit in New Zealand to be honest but I think it was more because the Ginga Ninja was under pressure in those games. I am happy they keep working him this year.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
-De Villiers: “Has had to bide his time, but good things come to those who wait, and if you wait long enough for delivery, the pizza will be free.”

Status
Not open for further replies.