• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks v All Blacks, Johannesburg, Oct 5th 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
This game is being downloaded to HDD so that I can show it to whomever in future as a great advert for the beautiful game.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
An afternoon test controlled by a sensible referee and two teams that want to play running rugby. What a fantastic game.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
In future watch the test with the sound down or go to a pub/club where it's too noisy to hear the comms. I watched it live with the sound down and it was still an enthralling test match with fever pitch excitement. Last night I watched that YouTube upload with the comms and I must say the rugby was still great but the overall viewing satisfaction was nowhere near as good.

As for the match itself, it really was a great test. Was particularly surprised to see the Boks turn down points on offer as I thought first and foremost you win the match and protect your test winning record at Ellis Park. But the way their loose forwards and midfield backs and wingers combined was great to watch and very concerning for this AB fan. But likewise the way Read was able to wreak havoc with his own strong running game and passing game was impressive. He was my MOTM by half time and then never let up in the 2nd 40.

The AB forwards as a pack played well. Individually though Faumauina had real trouble keeping pace with the game and fell off or missed tackles and Ben Franks was plain dumb. Whitelock superb in the collisions and Retallick despite being put on his backside was a tackling machine.

But it was in the loose forwards - Messam in the first and McCaw in the 2nd half and Read for 80, is where the difference came. They were superb. McCaw was quiet in the 1st half but seemed to grow an arm and leg for the final 40, tackling with venom and disrupting the Bok ruck ball. Messam's defensive maul work was superb and he had his best running game in black ever.

Ben Smith knows how to chase a kick and get to the try line. It was shades of Doug Howlett and Joe Roff out there. Savea had a particularly strong attacking game I thought although in the first half his defence did resemble a former superstar AB 11 when he was stepped by some bigger opponents.

The sheer pace the game was played at it was bound to see mistakes, missed tackles and defensive errors, but when it went through the 'arm wrestle' periods I was again impressed by the AB composure and endeavour with the ball.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Nigel Owens was extremely good, and for me he's now the best international ref going. However, to bin Ben Franks for a pretty soft (but still illegal and stupid) swinging arm and to not give the same yellow card treatment to the beast for a high shoulder to the head of a man without the ball and not engaged in a ruck (i.e. a cheap shot on McCaw, surprise surprise) was a mistake.

Owens was pretty good and I agree that the Beast should also have been carded. Much worse offence than Timani's YC last week.

But I don't particularly like the way Owens talks to the captains, or at least how it comes across on the tele. Quite off-handed and brusque imo.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Nigel Owens was extremely good, and for me he's now the best international ref going. However, to bin Ben Franks for a pretty soft (but still illegal and stupid) swinging arm and to not give the same yellow card treatment to the beast for a high shoulder to the head of a man without the ball and not engaged in a ruck (i.e. a cheap shot on McCaw, surprise surprise) was a mistake.

Other than that, he was tremendous and the way he manages players rather than just penalising them is something other referees should try to adopt.

Also, South Africa need to play like that every test match. They were incredible. Even Morne Steyn was getting physical and taking some risks - pigs might fly!
A punch / swinging arm will always get the ire of the officials (if they see it!) but cleanouts are so much more subjective, so they get away with them more often, even the bad ones. I thought Beast's effort was poor.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Alberts went missing. He was too slow for the pace of this game. He missed at least two key tackles. Hope he is okay though. Looked a nasty injury.

Man I hope Schalk gets back to vintage form.

I can live with a back row of Vermeulen, Schulk and Louw.

The other area that worries me is 5 lock. Kruger was workmanlike but not great. I hope Meyer tries some options on EOYT.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Kruger was workmanlike
I have seen some workmen who stand around with their hands in their pockets, I presume you mean one of those workmen.
To me it looks like he does not want to get involved.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I have seen some workmen who stand around with their hands in their pockets, I presume you mean one of those workmen.
To me it looks like he does not want to get involved.
Ok then.

"Kruger does some shit now and then."

We actually missed Flip, which is hard to believe.

D

daz

Just re-watching while getting ready to go out and this is soooo far off the mark it's unbelievable. In the space of about 3 mins I've heard Marshall compliment and commend de Villiers, Habana and the Springbok team as a whole. And I don't even like Justin Marshall.

I really think your hatred for the All Blacks is really spilling over into anything remotely connected to them.

Marshall is a bit annoying, in the way an excited 5 year old can be annoying, but the NZ commentary team (including Marshall) are one of the most even in terms of compliments and criticism.

They dole both out to both teams when required.

I much prefer them to both the Oz and SA commentary teams.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sorry been busy for a change. Congrats to the All Black and their supporters on here. Your team were awesome. Reid need some special mention.

Always easy to go negative after a loss but no need for this. The Bokke need to get Nienaber to fix the defense. You'll never beat the All Blacks wit so many missed tackles. For the Bokke I thought Etsebeth is simply the best. For his young age he is very close to the best lock in business, made some great tackles and enjoyed his run. Scrum is good when we have Beast in and our attacking play looked very good. Willie le Roux growth is unbelievable. Always knew he will become good and FdP again make a massive differense.

Enjoyed the special haka and hate our lot chanting.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Man I hope Schalk gets back to vintage form.
If Schalk continue the way he did his first two outings he'll be in fine nick when the EYT arrive. Made a massive differense in both CC matches as impact player. You can see the hunger in his workrate almost to much.

M

Muttonbird

Christ Muttonbird I rest my case, you just don't now when to back off not one person has agreed with any of your ludicrous statements.

You are an embaresment to the great village of ellerslie. ;)

Mate, you've got even fewer "likes" than me on this forum and that is saying something.

D

daz

Ok kiddies, you have had a nice crack at each other, well done. I score it a draw.

Move on, please.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Watching it again for a third time(let's be honest, it was that good) and just got to the second Habana try. Now the crowd shot after he dots down has me in stitches with one woman in the crowd bouncing around holding her tits :p

She got top rating in plays of the week on The Rugby Club.

:)

00:13 minutes

01:22 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.