• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks v All Blacks, Johannesburg, Oct 5th 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Well hopefully we beat you guys with a BP and the Argies get one over the ABs :)

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
We really shouldn't worry about the BP lest it be our downfall. Boks should just concentrate on winning.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Battleship will start in this one.

Yes, the morons on Rugby HQ couldn't work this one out. Really highlights Australia's depth problems, they might not seem an issue when the best hooker is starting but because of that, he has more poor games than good ones these days with no rest.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Well in all reality the Bokke cant win the trophe BUT this is Heyneke Meyer and he have been quite spectacular with the Brutes in the past. Pretty sure the Reds supporters still remember that drubbing at Loftus when the Brutes had to score a massive tally or the Sharks lot when Habana scored that winning try. I am happy that thismust bonus point win will force him to timber his normal gameplan and want to see the Bokke play like they did in the first half against the Wallabies. Full trottle for 80 minutes required and it will need some exact using of the bench. Go for broke Meyer, you still have that1% chance of making SA proud.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
PB, I would prefer the Boks to concentrate on winning this game only rather than going out with the idea of trying to score 4 tries. Winning TRC would be a fantastic achievement, but at this stage we should be more concerned with breaking our run of defeats against the AB's, particularly at home.

I would be much more frustrated if we lost the game because we took unnecessary risks/turned down shots at goal in favour of kicking for touch to try score more tries.

If there is an opportunity to go for the 4th try bonus point with 10 - 15 mins to go, then JdV and the senior players can make that decision on the field at the time. Otherwise let's just focus on winning the test.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
PB, I would prefer the Boks to concentrate on winning this game only rather than going out with the idea of trying to score 4 tries. Winning TRC would be a fantastic achievement, but at this stage we should be more concerned with breaking our run of defeats against the AB's, particularly at home.

I would be much more frustrated if we lost the game because we took unnecessary risks/turned down shots at goal in favour of kicking for touch to try score more tries.

If there is an opportunity to go for the 4th try bonus point with 10 - 15 mins to go, then JdV and the senior players can make that decision on the field at the time. Otherwise let's just focus on winning the test.
We wont get close if we play negative rugby. Will only get there if we play positive for 80 minutes. Its all or nothing, make or break. I was disappointed on saturday when JdV in his speech mentioned that they went conservative when we were 14 men. Well we scored that last try when we were 14 again after the second yellow and played much better. I am really gatvol when we just hand over possesion with that aimless kicking to the back. When playing phases at the start we looked so much better. Trust me even WP look better these days with playing this way.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think the gist of the "what is it about the Saffer and Kiwi rivalry?" thread is that the championship doesn't matter. Winning the Test is all it is about.

The victory is sweeter if it is at a fortress bastion like Eden Park or Carisbrook (in NZ) or Loftus or Ellis Park (in SAF).

This game is going to be a doozy if the players ensure that the ref keeps his hand out of his pocket.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Flippie out
SARugby
A SANZAR Judicial Hearing has found Flip van der Merwe of South Africa guilty of contravening Law 10.4(e) Dangerous Tackling, which also constituted a breach of Law 10.4 (a) Striking after he was cited during a match at the weekend in The Rugby Championship.
Van der Merwe has been suspended for one week up to and including 5thOctober 2013.
The incident occurred in the 39thminute of the match between South Africa and Australia at DHL Newlands Stadium in Cape Town on Saturday 28thSeptember.
The SANZAR Judicial Hearing was held via video conference on Monday 30thSeptember at 8am SAST, 4pm AEST, 7pm NZDT, 3am ART.
In his finding, Nicholas Davidson QC (Quade Cooper) ruled the following:
The player was initially sin-binned for a dangerous tackle but the citing alleged a deliberate striking. After hearing from the player’s counsel Mr Weyers, the player and Mr Schwartz, the South African Manager. The Judicial Officer concluded that this was a breach of Law 10.4 (e) as a dangerous tackle executed high and leading with the forearm and without any attempt to grasp the player in the initial contact. It was also a strike under Law 10.4 (a) but not intentional as cited. Mr Mike Mika, a former professional player, assisted the Judicial Officer.
Van der Merwe has a good disciplinary record at international and Super Rugby level and has never before been suspended. Mr Schwartz spoke extremely well of him as a player and a personality in the game. Although breach was denied, the Judicial Officer concluded that his record and conduct including a concerned approach to the Australian player warranted a discount to a one-week suspension only.

Chiefton

Herbert Moran (7)
O. Franks in doubt.

http://tvnz.co.nz/all-blacks/franks-in-doubt-boks-clash-5593129

All Blacks prop Owen Franks is in doubt for the Rugby Championship finale against the Springboks this weekend after injuring his groin in yesterday's win over the Pumas.
Franks will travel with the side to Johannesburg while Ben Afeaki has been called in to join the squad as cover.
Despite that concern the All Blacks are buoyed by the prospect of captain Richie McCaw returning for the most important game of the year.

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)

Agree 100%

If we go for the corner at the start of a game (as we did vs Oz) instead of taking the 3, we are on our way to a hiding.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Agree 100%

If we go for the corner at the start of a game (as we did vs Oz) instead of taking the 3, we are on our way to a hiding.
Look I ussually hate when they do this. This is desperate times and desperate times needs desperate measure. That was exactly the time when the Bokke played their best rugby in the test. We need to play a T20 inings and not a test innings of building this time.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
We should just win this one by playing like we would usually play the ABs.

The ABs rush onto us like they did in the last match which means our passing game will not work like it did against Australia who stood back and watched. Trying to run it will land us in trouble more ofren than not against the ABs.

All I want is a victory. Chances are if we play like we normally do we could still be within a shout of 4 tries and it is probably less risky.

crangs81

Larry Dwyer (12)
I'd hate to be the player that makes a mistake in this game cos that **** is gonna get punished severely at Ellis park. Expecting the AB's to kick the leather off the ball this weekend

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Just hope there are no ref blunders or brain explosions that either side could use for an excuse.

And I am sick to shit of the ABs winning all the time. It's getting on my tits. It needs to change. Saturday is as good a day as any to start it. Fuck it.

Every chance needs to be taken. Play the ref to the limit at the breakdown but know when to pull back. Blacks are so good at that. We need to be as smart. No silly mistakes. Kick it out into the stands, no chances of quick throwins. Limit the turnovers. Play position. Kick the goals. What else?

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
We need to be as smart. No silly mistakes. Kick it out into the stands, no chances of quick throwins. Limit the turnovers. Play position. Kick the goals. What else?

Keep them from loitering offside, push them back in their scrum, first-time tackles and stuff up their line-out.

Oh, and score more points than them. Looking forward to this one.

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
Keep them from loitering offside

Please can someone point out the illegal clearing space in front of the ruck by wrestling and holding players that was initiated by Franks and co, and seems to be adopted by more sides now. Jean de Villiers needs to get on this early in the game and make sure the ref is aware of it.

If the Springboks can impose their game on the ABs, I think the they've got a good chance of the win and possibly the championship. Unbelievably excited for this. Please gods of rugby, don't let a ref cock-up ruin it.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Please can someone point out the illegal clearing space in front of the ruck by wrestling and holding players that was initiated by Franks and co, and seems to be adopted by more sides now. Jean de Villiers needs to get on this early in the game and make sure the ref is aware of it.

If the Springboks can impose their game on the ABs, I think the they've got a good chance of the win and possibly the championship. Unbelievably excited for this. Please gods of rugby, don't let a ref cock-up ruin it.
Bokke do the same these days. Hectic cleaners with Flippie, Etsebeth, Duanne. Also see this in our CC. If you cant beat them, join them. I am super excite about this test, Meyer promise there will be no holding back, they will go for the full Monty.

IF the Bokke can reach this goal, it may change our whole rugby ball game for the future.

That extra bonus point (All Blacks deserved it with their four try win against us) will force our hand for better or for worse. Mountain to climb, but not out of the recon by any means.

Status
Not open for further replies.