• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks v All Blacks, Johannesburg, Oct 5th 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Bokke do the same these days. Hectic cleaners with Flippie, Etsebeth, Duanne. Also see this in our CC. If you cant beat them, join them. I am super excite about this test, Meyer promise there will be no holding back, they will go for the full Monty.
He also mentioned that they will only be looking for the win first and foremost against AUS and then ran the ball the minute they got it, completely contradictory to what he said so I think the Boks will just look to win the game this time and hope they score 4 tries in the process.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Finishing 2nd to the AB's in
TRC with an equal number if victories and only losing out by 1 bonus point is certainly no disgrace and a big improvement on last year IMO.

However, losing to the AB's at home again because we tried to go out and score 4 tries means we have barely improved on last year's effort and only look slightly better off because the Wallabies have been particularly weak.

It's a no brainer to me. Concentrate on WINNING your home games first and foremost. Bonus points are exactly that, just an additional bonus.

nugget

Jimmy Flynn (14)
should be the greatest game of ruby ever played, but will it be ruined by an inordinate amount of:

nigel_owens.jpg

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
SportLive.co.za said:
The smell of napalm in the air at Ellis Park

Craig Ray | 02 October, 2013 06:510 Comments
51169768.jpg

Marius Joubert, the South African centre races away to score the first of his three tries despite the attention from Andrew Mehrtens during the Tri-Nations Rugby Union International between South Africa and New Zealand at Ellis Park on August 14, 2004 in Johannesburg
Image by: David Rogers / Getty Images
NEARLY a decade ago, when freelancing for a New Zealand-based radio station, I was tasked with interviewing the All Blacks after their 2004 clash with the Springboks at Ellis Park.

New Zealand lost 40-26 to Jake White's Boks. Centre Marius Joubert scored a hat-trick and the Boks touched down five times and the All Blacks twice. It was a comprehensive thrashing even if "only" 14 points separated them at the end.

Speaking to a senior and well-respected All Black hard man in the bowels of the stadium minutes after the final whistle, I asked: "What is it about Ellis Park that the All Blacks dislike?"

That was the 11th meeting at the stadium, and New Zealand's eighth loss. Unbelievably, it was also the last time the sides met there. The All Blacks have won 27% of their Tests against the Boks at Ellis Park, their worst showing at any grounds at which they have played more than five Tests.

I received a withering look and an astonishing reply: "I hate this place, you can feel the hatred coming off the stands."

The crowd had been a particularly seething mass that day; the Boks had just returned from the away leg of the Tri-Nations with two narrow and frankly unlucky defeats on the road.

White's team, just like Heyneke Meyer's squad this weekend, needed a bonus point win and they needed to stop the Kiwis from getting any points.

The crowd threw missiles at the New Zealand team bus as it drove through the hard streets of Doornfontein and some pounded it with their hands as it crawled towards the stadium's entrance. It was an intimidating atmosphere.

A colleague summed it up perfectly. "Smell the napalm in the air," he said.

The Boks drew on the vitriolic atmosphere, succeeded in their objective and went on to win the Tri-Nations with a victory over Australia the following week.

Now, Meyer's Boks need to draw on the support and the edge Ellis Park will give them. The match is a sellout; there is bad blood after the Eden Park debacle, where SA were wrongly reduced to 14 men for 49 minutes of the match; and the Boks are still within a shout of the title.

The All Blacks bordered on arrogant after that win three weeks ago, with coach Steve Hansen lauding several of his players' fine performances while dismissing the fact that the Boks hadn't been allowed to compete evenly as they slumped to a 29-15 loss.

Some media suggested the result was never in doubt because the Kiwis enjoyed the better contest in the first 15 minutes, forgetting that rugby is an 80-minute game and it was 10-10 at 35 minutes.

The battle lines have been set out and the napalm is in the air again.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-ash3/1173750_735953646430464_919981565_n.png

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Im always surprised that NZ dont play more at Ellis Park given the record.

We would have played there in 2010 and last year, but for the simple fact that:

Soccer City (FNB Stadium): Capacity 94,713
Ellis Park: Capacity 62,567

Wherever they play the AB's are the main money spinner for a rugby union, and so they will want to put them in the biggest stadium. At average ticket price of (say) $100; 32,000 extra seats is a cool $3 million.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I see your point about the extra 30000 seats, but I think I read somewhere that it is a lot cheaper to see the footy in SAF than it is in AUS or NZ. So maybe not $3m but $2m or so, but it is an extremely valid point and money has a certain attraction to it over history and tradition.

That is why the crowds are often much larger. I think in AUS we try to gauge the punters a little too much with our pricing structures.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Owen Franks injured. McCaw back.

ALL BLACKS: Israel Dagg, Ben Smith, Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Julian Savea, Aaron Cruden, Aaron Smith, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw (captain), Liam Messam, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Charlie Faumuina, Andrew Hore, Tony Woodcock. Reserves: Dane Coles, Wyatt Crockett, Ben Franks, Steven Luatua, Sam Cane, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Beauden Barrett, Charles Piutau

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Faumuina and no Franks.

A tiny, measly little crack opens up. We'll take anything we can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.