• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks v Wallabies, Loftus Versfeld, Sun 9th Jul 1.05am AEST

Marce

John Thornett (49)
My starting XV for the Pumas clash

1 Bell
2 Porecki
3 Tupou
4 Frost
5 Skelton
6 Holloway
7 McReight
8 Valetini
9 White (C)
10 Cooper
11 Koroibete
12 Kerevi
13 Ikitau
14 Kellaway
15 Wright

16 Uelese
17 Slipper
18 AAA
19 Arnold
20 Samu
21 McDermott
22 Gordon
23 Petaia

My concern is if Eddie is capable to take out his both captains from starting XV after one game. I can't see it

Tordah

Dave Cowper (27)
the Vunivalu knockdown was borderline, and in those situations the defender usually does not get the benefit of the doubt regarding the ball going backwards by two or three degrees or not. It was certainly not clearly backwards and I don't think it was a controversial decision to bin him (and award the PT).
I was more annoyed with BOK penalising Vunivalu and Samu (I think) for their counter ruck near the touch line when they forced the Boks back, I don't quite remember the situation, but he said they had hands on the ground (not supporting bodyweight).

Anyways, ref certainly didn't really influence the match in a significant way. Boks were scary good

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
It doesn't matter if Vunivalu knocked it backwards or forward. He was the last defender and that action disrupted a certain try. A yellow card was certainly warranted.
I thought the yellow card was harsh. He was that bad sending him off was only a disadvantage to South Africa so the ref should have seen common sense and let him stay on

hawko07

Frank Nicholson (4)
I understand how altitude works on the body, I just assumed that lung size would be proportional to body size, eg a small guy has smaller lung capacity than a bigger guy so they would access the same number of litres of oxygen per kg of body weight.
Lung capacity does not have a great deal to do with this. Yes there is less oxygen at altitude. The limiting factors are really: 1.) The ability of your body to transport the available oxygen where it's needed (harder for a bigger body); 2.) The ability of the working muscle to use oxygen efficiently (harder in a bigger body). It's also the case that typically, bigger bodies are good at generating power, but bad at endurance, vice versa for smaller bodies.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
If you are correct, why don't coaches train players to knock the ball backwards when you are out numbered and the opp will score if you don't?
It has always been regarded as negative play. Mind you, I have never seen an attempt at intercept knocked backwards as players are running into a gap. I would always give a penalty for it as being not in the spirit of the game if it was deliberate.
Because if you can knock it backwards in those situations, you can probably catch it. Knocking it backwards is risky too as the ball is not under control.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
the Vunivalu knockdown was borderline, and in those situations the defender usually does not get the benefit of the doubt regarding the ball going backwards by two or three degrees or not. It was certainly not clearly backwards and I don't think it was a controversial decision to bin him (and award the PT).
I was more annoyed with BOK penalising Vunivalu and Samu (I think) for their counter ruck near the touch line when they forced the Boks back, I don't quite remember the situation, but he said they had hands on the ground (not supporting bodyweight).

Anyways, ref certainly didn't really influence the match in a significant way. Boks were scary good
I also thought that was a tough call from BOK. SA were isolated and we flooded the breakdown and went past the ball.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Eddie looked rattled in the post match presser, not too many quips. Hasn't done too well to deflect from his players either. Oh well. Gotta stick and see now.

Any news on T. Hooper's injury? I think we'll see Arnold start with Frost benched. Leota/Holloway in at 6. Don't hate me but I reckon he'll start Uelese too.

1. Slipper 2. Uelese 3. Ala'alatoa 4. Arnold 5. Skelton 6. Holloway 7. Hooper 8. Valetini
9. White 10. Cooper 11. Koroibete 12. Kerevi 13. Ikitau 14. Kellaway 15. Wright

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Any news on T. Hooper's injury?
Haven't seen anything on severity but it was reported as a shoulder injury in the post match reports. If it's the same one he's done in the past that might mean he's out for a while even for something relatively minor.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I also thought that was a tough call from BOK. SA were isolated and we flooded the breakdown and went past the ball.

It's always a difficult one because that first player arriving invariably puts a hand on the ground to balance themselves as they are going forward and then get a push from behind from the next player arriving.

The penalty was technically correct in my view but it is such a difficult one for the attacking team. What does that first player do once they have put their hand on the ground? Dive to the side out of the way so they're no longer competing in the counterruck?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

Yeah....that was a tough call.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
You are right about the realis
Maybe but we have seen cards handed out for what Vuni did for a while now. The emphasis always seems to be on how realistic or how authentic the attempt at catching the ball is. From what I’ve seen, defenders who make a play at intercepting the ball must have a realistic chance of catching it, not just knocking it down.

You can’t catch a ball that is loose in the realistic attempt must be made but only in the event that the ball is propelled forward. If it goes backwards it's play on.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
My starting XV for the Pumas clash

1 Bell
2 Porecki
3 Tupou
4 Frost
5 Skelton
6 Holloway
7 McReight
8 Valetini
9 White (C)
10 Cooper
11 Koroibete
12 Kerevi
13 Ikitau
14 Kellaway
15 Wright

16 Uelese
17 Slipper
18 AAA
19 Arnold
20 Samu
21 McDermott
22 Gordon
23 Petaia

My concern is if Eddie is capable to take out his both captains from starting XV after one game. I can't see it
I would say Gordon is already 99% locked in to start this next one. Perfect opportunity to bring him in and I think he would have started anyway regardless of what happened on the weekend

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Also worth remembering that we hadn't played a test match in South Africa for 4 years and we no longer play super rugby over there. I think that is also a big consideration with a lot of our younger players having little to no experience with playing in Sth Africa and dealing with altitude.