• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks v Wallabies, Loftus Versfeld, Sun 9th Jul 1.05am AEST

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Happened a thousand times but putting my list together. Bell 'available' but under a cloud, so will omit

1. Slipper 2. Porecki 3. Ala'alatoa
4. Arnold 5. Skelton
6. Holloway 8. Valetini 7. Hoops
9. White 10. Quade 11. Koroibete 12. Kerevi 13. Ikitau 14. MarkyMark 15. Wright
16. Uelese 17. Gibbon 18. Tupou 19. Frost 20. Samu 21. Mcdermott 22. Hodge 23. Vunivalu

However, I do think they may bench gordon (very unusual to have a bench 10, but Quade is just returning and Vunivalu is very specific (22. Gordon, 23 Hodge)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Wow, not a very convincing backline.
Depend on Libbok. He can ignite that outside backs. His kicking can be a worry. The pack should be Vermeulen, PSdT, Escom, Kleyn, Snyman, Tank , Bongi, Ox.
Bench
Koch, Dweba, Trevor,Orrie, Fourie, Roos, Jantjies, Willemse

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Happened a thousand times but putting my list together. Bell 'available' but under a cloud, so will omit

4. Arnold 5. Skelton
16. Uelese 17. Gibbon 18. Tupou 19. Frost 20. Samu 21. Mcdermott 22. Hodge 23. Vunivalu

However, I do think they may bench gordon (very unusual to have a bench 10, but Quade is just returning and Vunivalu is very specific (22. Gordon, 23 Hodge)
Those backs are extremely talented but I'd be nervous about the lack of playmaking there. There's only really one passer/shot caller in the whole team outside of 9 and even McDermott's strongest suit is running.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Those backs are extremely talented but I'd be nervous about the lack of playmaking there. There's only really one passer/shot caller in the whole team outside of 9 and even McDermott's strongest suit is running.
I agree. At least a wing with some positional nous like Kellaway to balance the strike power of Koroibete. I get nervous with a 'strike heavy' backline, as you say, need 1 more voice out there.

But, Kellaway not available and Hodge doesn't keep anyone out of the starting team unless it's Wright and Hodge goes to FB. Completely plausible in order to get a second (and big) boot out there with some organisational support.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

4. Arnold 5. Skelton

Is Uelese best suited as starter rather than off the bench. I think so, given his recent history of coming off early with injuries. Don't want a replacement who might go down in a matter of minutes.

Similarly, would it not be better to bring Arnold off the bench. He is untried at this level, and it might be best to go with the more experienced locks as starters until we get a better idea of Arnold's readiness.

I would definitely prefer Carter Gordon on the bench in place of Vunivalu, specifically to back up Quade in case he has more injury issues. I wouldn't be so worried about playmakers in the backline with Wright at 15. I know most on here don't rate him, but the Brumbies used him as a second playmaker from 15 and he was particularly effective in the role.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
In regards to Uelese, it's a yes as a starter for me. If he is in the squad because he's a big unit over everything else, don't you want him in the game to bash it around when everyone is fresh and the game is tight? You can then bring the more mobile guys on as the game tires. I don't think he'd have the same impact off the bench as he doesn't seem like the guy to make a half line break, pilfer etc...

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I agree. At least a wing with some positional nous like Kellaway to balance the strike power of Koroibete. I get nervous with a 'strike heavy' backline, as you say, need 1 more voice out there.

But, Kellaway not available and Hodge doesn't keep anyone out of the starting team unless it's Wright and Hodge goes to FB. Completely plausible in order to get a second (and big) boot out there with some organisational support.
usually I would like to see both the 15 & 14 be able to kick (the 14 being that 14/15 hybrid - so the Hodge Wright could work), but I think with Cooper at 10 he will be in the back field a lot, so then you want a winger who can defend in the front line

I dunno how Jones will work it

Reactions: dru

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
Uelese starting would have me highly concerned that our line out goes to shit which puts huge set piece pressure in an environment where the ball goes further and the crowd is louder.

Would make an easy game plan for the bok in kicking for territory, putting pressure on the line-out and off you go. Not that this is new for them, just the likelihood of success would be huge with Aus playing Uelese.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
True. We all know he couldn't hit the side of a bus. It can't be why he's in the team so I think if he's to feature you have to make use of his strengths which IMO is to take the brunt of the game and match up physically.

The Wallabies will have the same problem if he came on for the last 20 minutes and he stuffs his throws...

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Uelese's inconsistent throwing should essentially make him unselectable for the Wallabies in a RWC year

1. Slipper 2. Porecki, 3. AAAA
4. Frost 5. Skelton
6. Holloway 7. Hooper 8. Valentini
9. White 10. Cooper
11. Koroibete 12. Kerevi 13. Ikitau 14. Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase)
15. Wright

16. Faessler
17. Bell
18. Tupou
19. Arnold
20. Hooper
21. Lonergan
22. Gordon
23. Hodge

Surely

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
I wouldn't be so worried about playmakers in the backline with Wright at 15. I know most on here don't rate him, but the Brumbies used him as a second playmaker from 15 and he was particularly effective in the role.
Wright has had his best season of super rugby, haters can hate all they want but excluding Kellaway, he's the best FB we have right now. Jorgensen is not far off which is still crazy to think about.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Is Uelese best suited as starter rather than off the bench. I think so, given his recent history of coming off early with injuries. Don't want a replacement who might go down in a matter of minutes.

Similarly, would it not be better to bring Arnold off the bench. He is untried at this level, and it might be best to go with the more experienced locks as starters until we get a better idea of Arnold's readiness.

I would definitely prefer Carter Gordon on the bench in place of Vunivalu, specifically to back up Quade in case he has more injury issues. I wouldn't be so worried about playmakers in the backline with Wright at 15. I know most on here don't rate him, but the Brumbies used him as a second playmaker from 15 and he was particularly effective in the role.
I would hardly call Frost ' more experienced'. Unless Holloway goes to lock, then no, I'd stick with Arnold and Skelton and have them apply their mass and prowess. Both a central parts to the best provincial teams in the world, known for their physically dominating play. Suits SA to a tee, with the mobility of Frost to come on.