• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks vs Argentina - 1st Test TRC 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Oh dear
Things look more positive for the Ethopian government in a recession than it look for the Bargies in the TRC IMO

PS can any admin please fix my account. Something is really messed up with it. Took me over a hour just o get into this thread

biltong

Stan Wickham (3)
I believe it is important that we don't get too carried away.

It was a great win, but there are certain aspects that is concerning.

The first thirty minutes the BOks were uninspired and pedantic, was that against New Zealand we would have been chasing the game, Argentina at that stage managed to put multiphases together and was it not for their poor execution we could have conceded points against a better team.

We also gave away some rather silly penalties in the first half.

Once we got going we did show a lot of pace which is essential to catching defences unorganised, and that was a pleasure to see support runners coming onto the ball at pace.

Our ruck clearing was exceptional in the second half, not only from Fourie du Preez but also from the forwards who committed enough men quick enough to secure the ball, Ruan Pienaar is a serious liability compared to Fourie du Preez.

I do still believe we need Piet v Zyl in the nine jersey.

The sad thing from an Argentinian perspective is that they threw in the towel early on and for once South Africa smelt blood and actually exhibited some killer instinct.

The main question however, can we be this adventurous against New Zealand?

They aren't going to throw in the towel, they won't struggle with execution, they will not stand off the rucks and their defence will be much better.

I'll wait and see before I get all excited.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Adventurous NZ you get when their playing at home and they perform not as good whne they play away and feed of teams mistakes,

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Finally got around to watching it.

There was an interesting turning point in this game during the first half. The Argies had just had their hooker binned for the penalty try.

Within a few minutes they were hot on attack inside the Bok 22, and Beast made a tackle on the Pumas winger, who tried to pop it up to an unmarked man. While on the ground Beast swatted the ball out of his hands and the Boks ran in clear.

My first impression was yellow card minimum, which also would have put the Boks at a disadvantage at scrum time like Argentina. I didn't see another angle to check if it would have probably been a try but it was a poor miss by the officials.

Overall the Argentine forwards were the greatest disappointment, especially their scrummaging. They had two warmup games against NSW to get their timing right in that area, so there was no excuse for the early engage. Even after the engage they got owned - for a nation whose speciality in the last generation was the bajada, they will want to turn that around in a hurry.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Overall the Argentine forwards were the greatest disappointment, especially their scrummaging. They had two warmup games against NSW to get their timing right in that area, so there was no excuse for the early engage. Even after the engage they got owned - for a nation whose speciality in the last generation was the bajada, they will want to turn that around in a hurry.
Thanks for the summary! I could've sworn there were two teams involved in that game though?

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Boks for the 2nd test:

15 Willie le Roux (GWK Griquas, 4); 14 Bjorn Basson (Vodacom Blue Bulls, 10); 13 JJ Engelbrecht (Vodacom Blue Bulls, 5); 12 Jean de Villiers (captain, DHL Western Province, 88); 11 Bryan Habana (Toulon, 87); 10 Morné Steyn (Stade Francais, 46); 9 Ruan Pienaar (Ulster, 67); 8 Duane Vermeulen (DHL Western Province, 8); 7 Willem Alberts (The Sharks, 22); 6 Francois Louw (Bath, 20); 5 Juandré Kruger (Racing Metro, 12); 4 Eben Etzebeth (DHL Western Province, 15); 3 Jannie du Plessis (The Sharks, 46); 2 Adriaan Strauss (Toyota FS Cheetahs, 25); 1 Tendai Mtawarira (The Sharks, 45).

Replacements: 16 Bismarck du Plessis (The Sharks, 49); 17 Gurthrö Steenkamp (Toulouse, 41); 18 Coenie Oosthuizen (Toyota FS Cheetahs, 5); 19 Flip van der Merwe (Vodacom Blue Bulls, 27); 20 Siya Kolisi (DHL Western Province, 3); 21 Jano Vermaak (Toulouse, 1); 22 Pat Lambie (The Sharks, 24); 23 Jan Serfontein (Vodacom Blue Bulls, 4).

The only change is on the bench, where Vermaak comes in for du Preez who is unavailable for the tour.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Drop the idea of Coenie at TH and play Adriaanse who is a real TH ffs.

Good to see consistency though. That will help.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Finally got around to watching it.

There was an interesting turning point in this game during the first half. The Argies had just had their hooker binned for the penalty try.

Within a few minutes they were hot on attack inside the Bok 22, and Beast made a tackle on the Pumas winger, who tried to pop it up to an unmarked man. While on the ground Beast swatted the ball out of his hands and the Boks ran in clear.

My first impression was yellow card minimum, which also would have put the Boks at a disadvantage at scrum time like Argentina. I didn't see another angle to check if it would have probably been a try but it was a poor miss by the officials.

I think you missed the turning point totally. It happened when they ran on the field. The only yellow I saw in it was the colour of the vuvuzelas.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I didn't say it was the ONLY turning point Oom. Just that it really snatched away some momentum f from the visitors.

Santiago

Allen Oxlade (6)
There's a chance that it can snow in the match

we got advantage

we
fucking
do

(jk we'll get raped anyways)

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Argentina:
15 Lucas Gonzalez Amorosino, 14 Gonzalo Camacho, 13 Marcelo Bosch, 12 Felipe Contepomi (c), 11 Horacio Agulla, 10 Nicolas Sanchez, 9 Martin Landajo, 8 Leonardo Senatore, 7 Juan Manuel Leguizamon, 6 Pablo Matera, 5 Mariano Galarza, 4 Julio Farias Cabello, 3 Juan Figallo, 2 Eusebio Guinazu, 1 Marcos Ayerza.

Subs: 16 Agustín Creevy, 17 Nahuel Lobo, 18 Tomas Lavaninni, 19 Benjamin Macome, 20 Tomas Cubelli, 21 Santiago Fernandez, 22 Juan Imhoff.

Five changes from last week's XV - new players in bold.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I get contempomi is a national hero. But there is no way he should start over Fernandez. Ayerza will give them some more grunt up front but i am unsure how to feel about the lock changes....

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Pfitzy why would SA be disadvantaged considering the Pumas had to take a player off to put on a replacement hooker. Beast of Coenie on would have made our scrum better against a inexperience Puma front row.

You would note that we ran away with it later in the game. The game was played at a higher altitude than what Loftus. A young Aussie side struggle to breath on Loftus what is a aging Puma side going to do at even a higher altitude?

Concede 70 points causing they were breathing tar. Ask the Lions of 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.