• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks vs Argentina - 1st Test TRC 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Brisbok:

My problem with Jannie is that he is at his peak and it's not a high one. You talk about parity being good enough. Maybe for now but we need to get to a point where we have a dominant TH.It's frustrating that there has been no progress in this area for four years. because first Snor and now Meyer are happy to just continue with what everyone knows is "just good enough".

Now there are some injuries, notable to Malherbe who is my pick for the future (and has all the attributes we need for a TH) but why not give a guy like Adriaanse a go. He was strong all year. To pick Steenkamp ahead of him is nonsensical. Lourens did not get dominated once this year. HE was brilliant especially in NZ. What more proof do you need. Fuck this drives me nuts.
Lourens was brilliant against the Sharks for Griquas in their historical win last week.
Iafrica
Adriaanse was 'pure class'

Sun, 11 Aug 2013 10:44 AM
EmailMore
Griquas captain Ryno Barnes paid tribute to discarded Springbok Lourens Adriaanse, after his team's big upset in Durban.

Griquas targeted the set-pieces and the breakdowns as they snatched a last-ditch 32-30 victory over the much-fancied Sharks in their Currie Cup match at King's Park in Durban on Friday.

The victory was nothing more than Griquas deserved as they outplayed the Sharks in the set-pieces, especially the scrums.

The men from Kimberley raced into a 13-0 lead in as many minutes, before the Sharks worked their way back into the game - looking likely winners with a 30-25 lead and time officially up on the clock.

But another powerful scrum, which resulted in a penalty, set up the opportunity for the late winning score.

Barnes felt it was the return of Adriaanse, who failed to make the final cut for the Boks squad ahead of the Rugby Championship, that set the stage for the win.

It is under the new scrum engagement sequence, which appears to be favouring powerful scrums rather than quick-hitting and collapsing props, that contributed.

"I thought we scrummed well," Barnes said after the Durban win.

"Last week, when we played [in a pre-season friendly] against the Cheetahs, it didn't go so well," he said of the scrums.

"[The return of] Lourens Adriaanse made a massive difference and the honour must go to him, and the rest of the pack."

Sharks captain Jacques Botes, a late replacement when regular skipper Keegan Daniel pulled out with an injury, admitted the new scrum sequence was a problem for his team.

"We battled a little bit in our set piece and all credit to them, they really plagued well."

Barnes admitted that his team target the set pieces as a key area.

"We said in the dressing room that we want to focus on the stuff that we are good at," the Griquas captain said.

"That worked for us in the first 20 minutes.

"Then, unfortunately, two kick-offs went awry and they came back into the game - at least we snatched it at the end."

Botes expressed his disappointment in his team's late lapse.

"It is always unfortunate to lose that way," he said of the late penalty and try that saw Griquas snatch the victory.

"I feel we worked hard to get back in the game [after going down 0-13 early], but towards the end they gutsed it out and got the win."
- See more at: http://sport.iafrica.com/article/874746.html#sthash.7BrUCatt.dpuf

biltong

Stan Wickham (3)
Blue so you are saying that a guy who won 3 Super Rugby titles and was part of the 17 game winning streak with the Cape Cabal don't know what he is doing and they should appoint you Bok coach?

As for Engelbrecht. I agree about him. He is Meisiekind ver 2.0. Serfontein should have been moved to 13 as he got brilliant distrubution skills.

JJ should have been either moved to the wing in place of Basson or a place on the bench.

As for Brussouw. He once did well in 2009 not because he was quicker and better than McCaw but because his protection at ruck time consisted of guys like Bakkies Botha, Schalk Burger, Juan Smith and on occasions

Personally I would love if they move Willie back to 10 and let him play there. If Ludik hopefully get over his injury problems he could perfectly slit into that 15 role.

Rassie, Heyneke Meyer did not win three Super Rugby titles, he won one.

I disagree about Engelbrecht being Meisiekind v2.0, he is at least looking for space when he runs, and has a lot more pace.

I do agree however that Serfontein will be a better choice than Engelbracht in midfield. But would like to see Serfontein at 12, de Villiers at 13 and Engelbrecht at 14.

I don't think it will be a good move to put Willie at 10, as you won't have a recognised kicker at 10, at 15 he gets the opportunity to join the line out wide or in the first channel which provides him more options and variation in his attack.

As for Brussow, do you not think Willem and Duane can do the same protection as Schalk and Juan? You still have Etzebeth who is learning, but can certainly be seen as a solid power replacement for Bakkies.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Very disjointed game thus far. Possibly nerves.
6-3 to Argentina now with 16 minutes gone.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
Very disjointed game thus far. Possibly nerves.
6-3 to Argentina now with 16 minutes gone.

Slightly off topic Bairdy, but your avatar looks a little like a float from a pride parade

Vuvuzela noise in this game a little 'distracting'

Ryphon

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yup Le Roux looking very comfortable at 15. JJ also looking dangerous.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Slightly off topic Bairdy, but your avatar looks a little like a float from a pride parade

Vuvuzela noise in this game a little 'distracting'
Ha, thought I would change my avatar in light of your comments, and salvage any "machismo" I have left, if any. ;) The meme was become less relevant as time went on anyway.

Anyway... back to the rugby. Argentina without JMFL and even Albacete are minnows in comparison to themselves with the aforementioned players; a lot like Italy is without Parisse. They are very underwhelming thus far, even without the 60 minute drop off kicking in yet.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
This game could be a cricket score against the Argies, after that yellow card.
JDV waves his arms about even more than Genia!

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The floodgates seem to have opened up now. Second yellow against Argentina, for a spear tackle.
33-6 to South Africa at 50 minutes.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Feeling a bit sorry for the Argies, they are copping it. My mate works on the rail late & she wants me to keep her updated but I don't think I'm going to make it to FT. The one way traffic of this game is putting me to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.