• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks vs Wallabies @ Newlands 27/9/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Well congratulations SA. Bloody came home strong and credit to you for that. Vermulan is a bllody freak might I add and level pegging with Reid as the best 8 in the world.

Plenty of good stuff in that game for Wallaby fans despite the score.

Kuindrani is the 13 we have been crying for since Mortlock fell off the pace. He also knows how to find his outside man.

We know Folou is naturally brilliant but he is looking comfortable as a rugby player more these days. He is making better judgement decisions that you would find in an experienced rugby player.

Fainga'a had a belter in my view.

For the first time in some time we dominated the collision.

And one last thing. Nigel Owens was fine in his reffing performance.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So if those three are out Higgers for McCalman (Hodgson on the bench). Kev for Simmo (who else is over there for the bench?). Options for 12 are Lealiifano, Beale or Horne I guess. Or TK at 12 (as Bob wants) with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 and Horne on the wing.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
What is the cost of trialling alternative players? That we might lose the dead-rubber test in Argentina? Or the Brisbane bled? Yeah we better not drop Matt To'omua, because without him, we might lose to the ABs. Oh wait...

To'omua hasn't shown anything in attack this series at all. It's not all down to the forward pack - Kuridrani can make plenty of progress behind this pack and has for the last 3 tests.

And what does being the "incumbent" have to do with it? Beale was the "incumbent" 10 after playing the first two tests against the ABs there. Ashley Cooper was the incumbent 13 after the France series and the Bleds and now his position has been filled by a guy that is playing better than anyone.

First of all, there's no such thing as a dead rubber in Test rugby. A loss to Argentina would be a step backwards for this team.

Secondly, Beale was never the incumbent 10. He played 2 games there after foley was given 3 starts. Cooper was before injury (and arguably is) the first choice 10. Foley has a fight on his hands to hold that position imo.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) never secured his spot at 13. Kuridrani was our first choice 13 for much of 2013.

To'omua on the other hand has been our first choice 12 for more than a year now. In that time he's had numerous stand out performances and his defense has been top shelf. He hasn't been that amazing in the last few games, but over the season as a whole he's been more consistent and either Foley or Beale. His defense in the mid field has been a massive asset to the wallabies.

Also you didn't answer my question as to who is knocking on the door to replace To'omua at 12. Beale?! god help us.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
What is the cost of trialling alternative players? That we might lose the dead-rubber test in Argentina? Or the Brisbane bled? Yeah we better not drop Matt To'omua, because without him, we might lose to the ABs. Oh wait...

To'omua hasn't shown anything in attack this series at all. It's not all down to the forward pack - Kuridrani can make plenty of progress behind this pack and has for the last 3 tests.

And what does being the "incumbent" have to do with it? Beale was the "incumbent" 10 after playing the first two tests against the ABs there. Ashley Cooper was the incumbent 13 after the France series and the Bleds and now his position has been filled by a guy that is playing better than anyone.
What a crock of shit. To'omua has set up tries all through the French season and also through the rugby championship, not as many as last year's end of season tour.. But then who has been.

And who are you playing there or you flying people in from Oz. the back up 12 on tour is Leo and his been on struggle street recently. Maybe a call to play someone else on the bench too give them game time too see if they deserve a spot, but his been far from terrible I'm most games.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It's a big question of who if To'omua is out. Me personally I would think seriously about Godwin, but I don't think he's in the touring squad. I hope the thought of playing KB (Kurtley Beale) there doesn't even enter Link's head because I think he'll get carved up. I'd rather move TK in one and play AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
First of all, there's no such thing as a dead rubber in Test rugby. A loss to Argentina would be a step backwards for this team.

Secondly, Beale was never the incumbent 10. He played 2 games there after foley was given 3 starts. Cooper was before injury (and arguably is) the first choice 10. Foley has a fight on his hands to hold that position imo.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) never secured his spot at 13. Kuridrani was our first choice 13 for much of 2013.

To'omua on the other hand has been our first choice 12 for more than a year now. In that time he's had numerous stand out performances and his defense has been top shelf. He hasn't been that amazing in the last few games, but over the season as a whole he's been more consistent and either Foley or Beale. His defense in the mid field has been a massive asset to the wallabies.

Also you didn't answer my question as to who is knocking on the door to replace To'omua at 12. Beale?! god help us.

When during the last year has To'omua had "numerous stand out performances"?! Seriously, list them, would you? He certainly hasn't had a good game this series at all. Was it against the French? If so, perhaps we should get Berrick Barnes and Matt Giteau back so we can dominate against 2nd tier sides.

We are now 1-from-9 against the ABs and the Boks since Link and To'omua came aboard.

I'm sick of hearing the forward pack blamed for everything (the old "deckchairs on the titanic"). The wallabies had a tonne of ball during the 1st hour of the game last night and much of it was moving forwards. If you run straight and hard, there are gaps to be made. TK isn't a football genius, he's just a big bastard that runs upfield. Why people accept a centre that is playing like a confused fly half,I have no idea.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
It's a big question of who if To'omua is out. Me personally I would think seriously about Godwin, but I don't think he's in the touring squad. I hope the thought of playing KB (Kurtley Beale) there doesn't even enter Link's head because I think he'll get carved up. I'd rather move TK in one and play AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13.

I think TK needs a bit more space to get going than he would get at 12.

Horne's a strong enough defender for 12, isn't he?

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Just watched the replay.

Gee the scoreline is harsh. There was absolutely nothing in that. We were in front with 10 or so to go and had the bonus point sewn up with 2 mins left.

Outside To'omua and to a lesser extent Phipps, it's pretty hard to fault any performances. The tackle stats on sanzar are completely off the charts but I guess you'd expect that the way it finished.

Kuridrani got motm in a side beaten by 18 points. He was incredible yet again. Fardy played the best I've seen him play all year and was clear 2nd pick. Hopefully it's a sign he's getting back to last year's form.

Slipper, Fainga'a, Carter and Hooper all made 20+ tackles, Carter topping it with 22 without missing one. Kuridrani, Kepu, Fardy, McCalman and Horwill all made over 15.

Thought it was a good game on the whole. South Africa won it in the back row and not because ours was bad. Vermuelen, Coetzee and Burger when he came on were just brilliant. They are a real chance to knock off the All Blacks next week in that form.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
When during the last year has To'omua had "numerous stand out performances"?! Seriously, list them, would you? He certainly hasn't had a good game this series at all. Was it against the French? If so, perhaps we should get Berrick Barnes and Matt Giteau back so we can dominate against 2nd tier sides.

We are now 1-from-9 against the ABs and the Boks since Link and To'omua came aboard.

I'm sick of hearing the forward pack blamed for everything (the old "deckchairs on the titanic"). The wallabies had a tonne of ball during the 1st hour of the game last night and much of it was moving forwards. If you run straight and hard, there are gaps to be made. TK isn't a football genius, he's just a big bastard that runs upfield. Why people accept a centre that is playing like a confused fly half,I have no idea.

I've gone back through the GAGR player ratings for the games over the last 12-14 months, and found:-

-vs NZ (wellington 2013) - voted a top three performer by quite a few posters
-vs NZ bledisloe 3, 2013 - voted by most posters as a top 3 performer
-vs England 2013 - voted by most posters as a top 3 performer, voted by some as best on park
-vs Italy 2013 - voted by most posters as a top 3 performer, voted by some as best on park
-vs France (game 1, 2014) - voted by most posters as a top 3 performer, voted by some as best on park
-vs NZ (bledisloe 1, 2014) - voted a top three performer by quite a few posters

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I've gone back through the GAGR player ratings for the games over the last 12-14 months, and found:-

-vs NZ (wellington 2013) - voted a top three performer by quite a few posters
-vs NZ bledisloe 3, 2013 - voted by most posters as a top 3 performer
-vs England 2013 - voted by most posters as a top 3 performer, voted by some as best on park
-vs Italy 2013 - voted by most posters as a top 3 performer, voted by some as best on park
-vs France (game 1, 2014) - voted by most posters as a top 3 performer, voted by some as best on park
-vs NZ (bledisloe 1, 2014) - voted a top three performer by quite a few posters

I've had a look at the Ranker results

http://www.ranker.com/profile-of/greenandgoldrugby?page=2&filter=

And you are right that he has had more good outings than I was giving him credit for.

Seems to rank much better when Cooper is playing.

Reactions: BDA

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
There can be no doubt at all that the players executed what they were given to do in this game. In the first half Phipps had some shocking passes and wasn't handling the pressure at the breakdown well. He settled as the game wore on though.

I really think that Beale should be heading home from the tour to play NRC and Super Rugby next year. X factor be F%$#$ed, I'd rather somebody who can execute consistently and not crab across field to lamely drop the ball off to a team mate who is set to be smashed. Mind you is Link wanted to play that bullshit short kicking game why not select him as it was his favourite play until Chieka stopped it this year at the Tahs.

And that is a nice segue into what really has disappointed me about Link. The "master tactician" of the Reds has been shown up in every game bar two French tests, this year. Starting at the selection table he destroyed the Wallabies chances for the Bledisloe with mystifying selections and then dropped those players when "stepping down" to perceived easier Boks game. An example further is the Pek Cowan selection, good enough to come off the bench against the ABs, Bok and Argies, but then dropped for Robinson who had fitness/workrate issues? Then I have to say at the tactics table the game plans from what I can follow are poorly thought out and often reliant on individuals instead of ensemble combinations of players. For instance today's game plan featured many pre-planned short kick plays, for a team and individual players which have NEVER shown a consistent ability to execute a kicking game from hand. Is that playing to strengths FFS?

I love that the Wallabies are actually attacking for significant periods of play and actually generally positive. I am totally dismayed that Link is emulating Deans in all the mystifying calls in selections and preparation that we came to detest.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
We know Folou is naturally brilliant but he is looking comfortable as a rugby player more these days. He is making better judgement decisions that you would find in an experienced rugby player.

He may not be as flash as he was when he burst onto the test scene but he's certainly looking like a better all round player. One thing I'd like to see is him cutting out the offloads to no one. The desire to keep the ball alive is good to see, but throwing it to no one he's often making a 50/50 of what should be Wobs ball. Sometimes he's just got to take the contact and trust his team mates.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
That's funny,because when we were watching last night we were all impressed with his ball playing,he put quite a few into holes last night.
That's the beauty of a Rugby i suppose,we all take different things out of watching the same game.

Status
Not open for further replies.