• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SR2023 R3 - Rebels vs Waratahs Friday 10 March @ 7.35pm

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The Perese tackle looked bad in real time but the ball carrier jumped into the tackle in the act of intercepting a pass and Perese did everything he could to disengage. It's a non standard situation, jumping to take the intercept like that, but it effectively means Perese had "right of way" there as he had barely even moved from where he was when the pass was thrown. There's an argument it should've been a penalty but I can't see it being more than that. The real stuff up there was the terrible pass Edmed threw for the intercept.

Perese can still count himself lucky though - he put in a high shot when he buys Gibbon's dummy that went unnoticed. There wasn't much in it but it was head contact on a (tall) man without the ball, so it's hard to see it being less than a yellow if they look at it.
Seems most share your view Wilson that Perese was innocent because the Rebel was jumping to take the ball. I still don't see it that way. For comparison sake, I liken it to a player chasing a high kick who jumps over the potential ball receiver. If the outcome is similar to what happened last night, then the receiver would in all likelihood be at fault. The Rebel didn't jump into Perese, he was jumping to catch the ball. The onus, surely, then should be on Perese to make sure he doesn't make contact while that player is in the air.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Seems most share your view Wilson that Perese was innocent because the Rebel was jumping to take the ball. I still don't see it that way. For comparison sake, I liken it to a player chasing a high kick who jumps over the potential ball receiver. If the outcome is similar to what happened last night, then the receiver would in all likelihood be at fault. The Rebel didn't jump into Perese, he was jumping to catch the ball. The onus, surely, then should be on Perese to make sure he doesn't make contact while that player is in the air.
Not the same situation, players in support of a ball carrier expecting to receive a pass have always been given more rights than in the open contest of a kick receipt.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
The referee was right there and called play on, so no penalty

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Using your knees like that is the same as crawling or rolling extra in a tackle - you just can't promote yourself like that on the ground, you have to take your feet again to do it. It can't be any other way because it's also illegal to tackle a man who's already on the ground, so if someone had have made contact to stop him they would've been risking a penalty themselves.
I get the technical ruling being correct. However he only had to go about half a metre, he wasn't tackled so doesn't have to release, and unless he lets go of the ball he has to use his knees to get to his feet - I would argue that he did this and the actual propulsion was from his feet. If, hypothetically and all other things being the same, he had to go 2 metres, and he used his knees to stand up and then dived over the line would it still have been a double movement? No way. In hindsight he had plenty of time to play it safe and release the ball, stand up, pick it up again and then fall over the line, but it's difficult to judge this on the fly when you are the player, you just want to dot the ball down.

It's rulings like this that have the leaguies laughing at the game.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Eaaaat a massive dick.

Glad you enjoyed the game, the Rebels certainly did!
Yeah whoops i think i will eat a dick hey. Corner Hotel was a good shout.

Carter Gordon was unreal. Might have left a run at the Wallabies a tad late? Playing the house down though.

Rebels better across the park. Deserved winner.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I get the technical ruling being correct. However he only had to go about half a metre, he wasn't tackled so doesn't have to release, and unless he lets go of the ball he has to use his knees to get to his feet - I would argue that he did this and the actual propulsion was from his feet. If, hypothetically and all other things being the same, he had to go 2 metres, and he used his knees to stand up and then dived over the line would it still have been a double movement? No way. In hindsight he had plenty of time to play it safe and release the ball, stand up, pick it up again and then fall over the line, but it's difficult to judge this on the fly when you are the player, you just want to dot the ball down.

It's rulings like this that have the leaguies laughing at the game.
The technicalities… deserved a try.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
If he got to his feet and then propelled himself (even using his knees) it would've been fine, that's the difference. To my eyes (and the refs and commentary) he didn't, he used his knee to propel himself.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah whoops i think i will eat a dick hey. Corner Hotel was a good shout.

Carter Gordon was unreal. Might have left a run at the Wallabies a tad late? Playing the house down though.

Rebels better across the park. Deserved winner.

enjoyed your live posting from AAMI Park, seemed like you had a few drinks - although I was cheering on the rebels.

better luck on the warratahs home fixture

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Rebels player jumped into him. As far as I understand there is no sanction when that happens.

IMO Hooper has generally been very good since his return. But he wasn’t yesterday and looked very tired.
The rebels player jumped to take the ball. Perese then attempts to tackle him. Should have been a yellow.

If Perese stayed passive and didn’t attempt to tackle then play on.

Also it was an intercept so Perese wasn’t set waiting to defend. He saw Anderson go for the interception and made the decision to tackle him

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not the same situation, players in support of a ball carrier expecting to receive a pass have always been given more rights than in the open contest of a kick receipt.
That’s fine but he still elected to tackle him in the air. Should have been a yellow

Wilson

David Codey (61)
That’s fine but he still elected to tackle him in the air. Should have been a yellow
He really doesn't, he takes a step or two after the ball is thrown without diverting his line and turns to face Anderson already coming at him (he had eyes on Edmed when the pass was thrown) . He braces but doesn't engage in a tackle in the air.

There is an argument he flops on Anderson afterwards and should be penalised for that, but that again is marginal and I can't see more than a penalty in this play.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
It wasn’t a contestable kick, it was one guy jumping to intercept a pass. Does Perese have to jump to make it not dangerous? Why would he do that? Does he just have to stand passive while someone jumps into him and intercepts a pass intended for him?

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
He really doesn't, he takes a step or two after the ball is thrown without diverting his line and turns to face Anderson already coming at him (he had eyes on Edmed when the pass was thrown) . He braces but doesn't engage in a tackle in the air.

There is an argument he flops on Anderson afterwards and should be penalised for that, but that again is marginal and I can't see more than a penalty in this play.
He dips leads with the shoulders and wraps his arms around his legs. It’s a yellow card

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
It wasn’t a contestable kick, it was one guy jumping to intercept a pass. Does Perese have to jump to make it not dangerous? Why would he do that? Does he just have to stand passive while someone jumps into him and intercepts a pass intended for him?
He has the option to stay passive or to play the ball and he chooses to play the man in the air

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
If he got to his feet and then propelled himself (even using his knees) it would've been fine, that's the difference. To my eyes (and the refs and commentary) he didn't, he used his knee to propel himself.

Yeah.. A defender can tackle a player who is standing up, they can't tackle a player who is still on the ground rolling/crawling to the tryline.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Man the tahs just looked poor, at times felt like they thought they would win by just turning up. Some of the same patterns from previous years still haven't been fully corrected, like earning the right to go wide. Too many out of the back plays and poor ruck support.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Screenshot-20230310-223733-Gallery.jpg

Nadolo weighs 137 kilos according STAN. He should weigh at least 120

Marce

John Thornett (49)
We should have won this one

17 min, Nadolo failed to ground the ball in the corner. Dylan Pietsch or Jorgensen would have scored

20 min, Gleeson's not try by centimeters

After that 2 tries in a row and you know the ending