• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SRAU RD 10 - Force v Reds Friday 23rd April HBF Park

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
FORCE (1-15): Tom Robertson, Feleti Kaitu'u, Greg Holmes, Jeremy Thrush, Sitaleki Timani, Tim Anstee, Kane Koteka, Brynard Stander, Tomas Cubelli, Domingo Miotti, Jordan Olowofela, Kyle Godwin (c), Tevita Kuridrani, Toni Pulu, Rob Kearney

Reserves: Andrew Ready, Angus Wagner, Santiago Medrano, Ryan McCauley, Fergus Lee-Warner, Ian Prior, Richard Kahui, Jack McGregor

INs: Toni Pulu, Rob Kearney

OUTs: Grason Makara, Jake Strachan

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
FORCE (1-15): Tom Robertson, Feleti Kaitu'u, Greg Holmes, Jeremy Thrush, Sitaleki Timani, Tim Anstee, Kane Koteka, Brynard Stander, Tomas Cubelli, Domingo Miotti, Jordan Olowofela, Kyle Godwin (c), Tevita Kuridrani, Toni Pulu, Rob Kearney

Reserves: Andrew Ready, Angus Wagner, Santiago Medrano, Ryan McCauley, Fergus Lee-Warner, Ian Prior, Richard Kahui, Jack McGregor

INs: Toni Pulu, Rob Kearney

OUTs: Grason Makara, Jake Strachan

Put Kahui in at 11 and I reckon that would be the top strength starting 15 for this Force squad. I wasn't too worried about this game but the coach has finally made some good selections.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
No Campbell for the Reds is a bit of a shock. Been the best 15 in SRAU. Wonder if they will give Petaia some time at 15 when subs come on.

Reactions: dru

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
Two very strong teams.
Not many missing for the Force.
No 10 on the bench but assume McGregor can cover there if needed.

Reds definitely not taking this one lightly.

Loving that Force bench and the back three is so much stronger with Kearney and Pulu starting.
Starting to feel settled now.
Get the defence fixed from last week and keep that excellent ball retention and we might have a sneaky chance.

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
FB_IMG_1618993461620.jpg

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Put Kahui in at 11 and I reckon that would be the top strength starting 15 for this Force squad. I wasn't too worried about this game but the coach has finally made some good selections.

I agree - that's a very handy looking Force outfit. Playing with confidence too.

rugbyontherange

Frank Nicholson (4)
Interesting team lists by Reds over the last couple of weeks. I know I know... in Thorn we have faith...

Daugunu being on the bench.. maybe his "D" wasn't so crash after the Brumbies game in Act so needed some time on the pine, time to think about that. Seems he has watched his worth in training and is back in the fold.
Harry Wilson has been under the radar...all season.... but seems exempt from any measure of performance. Why isn't Seru being used as an option at 8.
Moses has been shafted for a 19 yr old, who hasn't done anything to impress... Umm
Jock Campbell.. reliable, fast, often the only player to break the line in games gone by when none of the backs could catch a ball or get their go forward going, he gets the shaft when the other backs finally get their shit together and start playing their worth. So Jock replaced by Hegarty?

All traditional Locks have been shafted to make way for a pletherer of talented breakaways.
Problem.... albeit one most coaches would love to have, is fantastic depth.
Since all players are fit and well, surely to manage your roster and keep all players in the mix, you would go:
Wright, McReight and ASY (Angus Scott-Young) for the 6/7 spot.
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Blythe, Smith for the 4 & 5.
Wilson and Seru for 8.
You could rotate around these spots, keeping everyone with adequate game time, match fitness and confidence, fighting for spots, with opportunity to perform.

Since Wright has been injured, ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and McReight have stepped up so it seems in order to get the Skipper back in, the locks have taken the hit.

Not sure how ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (who is a 6) and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (who plays like a 6) will match it against Thrush and Timani (who has been on fire). I guess we shall see.
My feeling is a bit of a loss of power but WTF, why don't we just play "loosies" in all spots except front row and 10.
Surprising for Thorn who was a lock, not to see the value in the lock position. Its like going, well we need the kegs of beer carried down to the farm... nah, we don't need the Clydesdales, we'll get the shetlands. Disaster - there will be no beer on the farm!

Anyway......Sayonara Smith and Blythe, the golden money of the shiny Yen awaits you, and the Australian Coaches will lament the problem of the disappearing stocks of "Locks" to the overseas dollar over and over and over again.

Gervais_rugbylives

Allen Oxlade (6)
Two outside backs at 22 and 23. No 10/12/15 cover is an interesting choice, but I suppose it is because Hegarty and Stewart are in the starting side. If I was Moses, I would be searching elsewhere because they aren't showing him that they value him putting Thomas on. I agree I thought Henry might be in the 23 this week, I wouldn't be surprised if he has offers from other clubs. Also Seru should be given more game time.
Am I wrong in thinking the reds have locked in a home final? If that is true, wouldn't you want to do some experimenting/blooding?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
With the bye last week and next weekend off as well, giving the top strength side a final hit out is the logical pathway.

Campbell is our resting an injury.

Other than that, all of the selections are justified, IMO. It does seem a bit mystifying that Zander & Blyth have dropped right out of the 23, but you could argue Fotuaika, Asiata & Smith have all just taken their chances. Certainly Scott-Young has been outstanding in Wright’s abscence and has shown before he is effective at lock in Super Rugby. Salakai-Loto has played much tighter this year & ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is a work horse in the tight. If the game is a grind I’d expect them to at least hold their own, but Qld will try and play up tempo - and if they are successful in managing the tempo I’d expect both those guys to be prominent. Uru has been great in his first season, but I don’t think he’s better than Wilson.

Thomas is rated very highly if you listen to Thorn. Unfortunately that leaves Sorovi on the outer again - but he has had his chances.

I get that non-selection is a big catalyst for player departure - but you can only pick 15 starters.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
The only way the force stand a chance in this one is defence. It needs to be perfect. The force have had some great games this year defensively and when they played in Brisbane it was very good. Perfect defence and a ton of passion might get them there. Personally I think the Reds and Brumbies have been playing some of the best rugby we have seen from Aussie teams in a long while so I think it will be a big ask for the force

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
With the bye last week and next weekend off as well, giving the top strength side a final hit out is the logical pathway.

Campbell is our resting an injury.

Other than that, all of the selections are justified, IMO. It does seem a bit mystifying that Zander & Blyth have dropped right out of the 23, but you could argue Fotuaika, Asiata & Smith have all just taken their chances. Certainly Scott-Young has been outstanding in Wright’s abscence and has shown before he is effective at lock in Super Rugby. Salakai-Loto has played much tighter this year & ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is a work horse in the tight. If the game is a grind I’d expect them to at least hold their own, but Qld will try and play up tempo - and if they are successful in managing the tempo I’d expect both those guys to be prominent. Uru has been great in his first season, but I don’t think he’s better than Wilson.

Thomas is rated very highly if you listen to Thorn. Unfortunately that leaves Sorovi on the outer again - but he has had his chances.

I get that non-selection is a big catalyst for player departure - but you can only pick 15 starters.
I would be interested to know if Thorn is a ‘you train how you play’ type coach? That might answer some of the selections. There are always going to be great trainers who don’t bring a lot to game day. Then there are those who use training to experiment a bit.

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The only way the force stand a chance in this one is defence. It needs to be perfect. The force have had some great games this year defensively and when they played in Brisbane it was very good. Perfect defence and a ton of passion might get them there. Personally I think the Reds and Brumbies have been playing some of the best rugby we have seen from Aussie teams in a long while so I think it will be a big ask for the force
On the flip side though this is probably the best Force team they have put out all year.

The Force have success when they can make the game a slug fest. They are good at it and have enough strike power to score a few points from crumbs. If they turn it into that sort of game I’d still be confident the Reds can bring it home, but it should be tight, at least for 60.

The other thing is that the Force are becoming far more cohesive - not surprising when you consider the late arrivals of a lot of their players.

But if the Reds can keep it up tempo I think that’ll work strongly in their favour.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Two outside backs at 22 and 23. No 10/12/15 cover is an interesting choice, but I suppose it is because Hegarty and Stewart are in the starting side. If I was Moses, I would be searching elsewhere because they aren't showing him that they value him putting Thomas on. I agree I thought Henry might be in the 23 this week, I wouldn't be surprised if he has offers from other clubs. Also Seru should be given more game time.
Am I wrong in thinking the reds have locked in a home final? If that is true, wouldn't you want to do some experimenting/blooding?
The club game on the weekend against Wests should have moved Henry’s positioning in front of Creighton for a bench spot even though Henry is better suited to 12, but can backup 10, 13 and 15. And his goal kicking is the added bonus. I’d say is just a waiting game and patience is the key here.
Sorovi played good rugby on the weekend and is mountains in front of Thomas at this point. But will always be a bench halfback in Super Rugby, unless they get his decision making more consistent.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Jock was shifted to wing for Hegarty against the Rebels because Hegarty has a better kicking game which was needed against the Rebels game plan. Hegarty played dam well that game and it made no sense to drop him.

As for ASY (Angus Scott-Young) ahead of Blyth/Smith, well Blyth is the only one who can feel miffed here. Smith has had ample game time this season for a debutant. There’s clearly something in his game which Thorn wants Blyth to work on and improve.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

I’m not a Moses fan, I think he is adequate depth but too often he makes silly errors when under pressure. I’ve been impressed by Kalani’s passing game, and for a young guy I thought his game control is quite good also. Definitely a work in progress and if Tate was injured I would prefer Sorovi as the starting half, but long term Kalani has the higher ceiling

Has Henry earned his spot ahead of Flook or Droasese? I’m hearing Creighton is much closer to a bench spot then Henry.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interesting team lists by Reds over the last couple of weeks. I know I know. in Thorn we have faith.

Daugunu being on the bench.. maybe his "D" wasn't so crash after the Brumbies game in Act so needed some time on the pine, time to think about that. Seems he has watched his worth in training and is back in the fold.
Harry Wilson has been under the radar.all season.. but seems exempt from any measure of performance. Why isn't Seru being used as an option at 8.
Moses has been shafted for a 19 yr old, who hasn't done anything to impress. Umm
Jock Campbell.. reliable, fast, often the only player to break the line in games gone by when none of the backs could catch a ball or get their go forward going, he gets the shaft when the other backs finally get their shit together and start playing their worth. So Jock replaced by Hegarty?

All traditional Locks have been shafted to make way for a pletherer of talented breakaways.
Problem.. albeit one most coaches would love to have, is fantastic depth.
Since all players are fit and well, surely to manage your roster and keep all players in the mix, you would go:
Wright, McReight and ASY (Angus Scott-Young) for the 6/7 spot.
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Blythe, Smith for the 4 & 5.
Wilson and Seru for 8.
You could rotate around these spots, keeping everyone with adequate game time, match fitness and confidence, fighting for spots, with opportunity to perform.

Since Wright has been injured, ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and McReight have stepped up so it seems in order to get the Skipper back in, the locks have taken the hit.

Not sure how ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (who is a 6) and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (who plays like a 6) will match it against Thrush and Timani (who has been on fire). I guess we shall see.
My feeling is a bit of a loss of power but WTF, why don't we just play "loosies" in all spots except front row and 10.
Surprising for Thorn who was a lock, not to see the value in the lock position. Its like going, well we need the kegs of beer carried down to the farm. nah, we don't need the Clydesdales, we'll get the shetlands. Disaster - there will be no beer on the farm!

Anyway..Sayonara Smith and Blythe, the golden money of the shiny Yen awaits you, and the Australian Coaches will lament the problem of the disappearing stocks of "Locks" to the overseas dollar over and over and over again.

agree. We really are playing terrible. So many issues with this team. Can't believe Thorn isn't under more pressure to keep his job next year. I wonder if Wessels would consider moving to QLD?

I sure hope someone from the QRU reads GAGR today to hear how unimpressed you are with Kalani Thomas. WE NEED ACTION!!!!