• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SRAU RD 10 - Force v Reds Friday 23rd April HBF Park

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
I’m not a Moses fan, I think he is adequate depth but too often he makes silly errors when under pressure. I’ve been impressed by Kalani’s passing game, and for a young guy I thought his game control is quite good also. Definitely a work in progress and if Tate was injured I would prefer Sorovi as the starting half, but long term Kalani has the higher ceiling

Has Henry earned his spot ahead of Flook or Droasese? I’m hearing Creighton is much closer to a bench spot then Henry.
Kalani hasn't shown off his running game yet either, I think his passing has been a little too high so far but I'd put that down to nerves he will get better. Sorovi was fantastic for Wests last weekend.

rugbyontherange

Frank Nicholson (4)
agree. We really are playing terrible. So many issues with this team. Can't believe Thorn isn't under more pressure to keep his job next year. I wonder if Wessels would consider moving to QLD?

I sure hope someone from the QRU reads GAGR today to hear how unimpressed you are with Kalani Thomas. WE NEED ACTION!!!!

My input was just general chat about selections in what has developed to be a team with huge depth.

Please don't crap back to other punters answer unless you've had your coffee.

You have had a few wild rants now Reg, from all of us....Are You OK?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
How much experience does ASY (Angus Scott-Young) have in the locks? He just doesn't seem to be tall enough. He's been playing great but it does seem a little odd to me, especially as we have other loose forwards who seem better placed for lock. It'll be interesting to see how 4 to 8 line up in play and who is actually jumping in the line.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I’m not a Moses fan, I think he is adequate depth but too often he makes silly errors when under pressure. I’ve been impressed by Kalani’s passing game, and for a young guy I thought his game control is quite good also. Definitely a work in progress and if Tate was injured I would prefer Sorovi as the starting half, but long term Kalani has the higher ceiling

Has Henry earned his spot ahead of Flook or Droasese? I’m hearing Creighton is much closer to a bench spot then Henry.
I’d be interested to know what you’re hearing as to why Creighton is in front of Henry?

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
I have to say, just like how it was always going to be a great success if the Reds made it out of the dressing room door against the superlative Brumbies, it will be a major achievement if we so much as safely check into our Hotel in Perth.

We know the Force is hungry, they've waited years to try and get into a final. They were rightfully aggrieved by the decision to remove them from the comp. They're planning a Viet Cong level ambush, using twiggy's mining equipment to dig tunnels and pop out on game day and catch our brave boys off guard.

Playing thousands of kilometres from home, with potential food poisoning in our hotel, and a local populace hostile to conquerors, I don't think we stand a chance in this game. But if we win it, it would be the crowning glory of our triumphant 2021 regular season, that would rightfully be immortilised in Rugby History.

Conroy

Frank Row (1)
ASY (Angus Scott-Young)'s had a very good season, and probably deserves a start in the final, but won't get one in the back row with Wright back. I think Thorn is giving him a chance to earn that starting spot for the final. He'll need a good game, and probably more importantly for him our set piece will need to be solid.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm not convinced as yet with Thomas as much as I've criticised Sorovi in the past I still think he is the numero due at this stage.

Most likely we are giving blokes game time to build depth we don't want to see a Mack Mason situation (though Tate is hopefully not going anywhere in the next few years).

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
How much experience does ASY (Angus Scott-Young) have in the locks? He just doesn't seem to be tall enough. He's been playing great but it does seem a little odd to me, especially as we have other loose forwards who seem better placed for lock. It'll be interesting to see how 4 to 8 line up in play and who is actually jumping in the line.

He has played there a bit at club and I think has had a couple stints there for the Reds. He is 194cm, both Thorn and Itoje are 195. I suspect his form this year has pushed him ahead of both Blyth and Smith. Hard to argue with. Very much a Thorn style lock. I don't mind it at Super level. I would also prefer Uru's style off the bench than ASY (Angus Scott-Young).

Thrush has been v good at lineout time so I suspect he will cause a few problems in the first half if we aren't smart about our L/O.

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
I have to say, just like how it was always going to be a great success if the Reds made it out of the dressing room door against the superlative Brumbies, it will be a major achievement if we so much as safely check into our Hotel in Perth.

We know the Force is hungry, they've waited years to try and get into a final. They were rightfully aggrieved by the decision to remove them from the comp. They're planning a Viet Cong level ambush, using twiggy's mining equipment to dig tunnels and pop out on game day and catch our brave boys off guard.

Playing thousands of kilometres from home, with potential food poisoning in our hotel, and a local populace hostile to conquerors, I don't think we stand a chance in this game. But if we win it, it would be the crowning glory of our triumphant 2021 regular season, that would rightfully be immortilised in Rugby History.

Love it!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
He has played there a bit at club and I think has had a couple stints there for the Reds. He is 194cm, both Thorn and Itoje are 195. I suspect his form this year has pushed him ahead of both Blyth and Smith. Hard to argue with. Very much a Thorn style lock. I don't mind it at Super level. I would also prefer Uru's style off the bench than ASY (Angus Scott-Young).

Thrush has been v good at lineout time so I suspect he will cause a few problems in the first half if we aren't smart about our L/O.

Some data out there just be wrong then.

EDIT: Nope. I just clear got if wrong. Thanks Purce.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

I also believe ASY (Angus Scott-Young) has been calling the lineouts

Reactions: dru

rugbyontherange

Frank Nicholson (4)
Kalani hasn't shown off his running game yet either, I think his passing has been a little too high so far but I'd put that down to nerves he will get better. Sorovi was fantastic for Wests last weekend.

The thing with these young guys now is that its hard for them to get that higher level experience.
The younger group that has come through for the last 3 years: Hoopert, Nasser, Wright, ASY (Angus Scott-Young), McReight, Wilson, Blythe, Tate, Stewart, Jordie, have all come through the QLD U20’s comp for 2 years, the Oceania Tournaments, the Junior Wallabies, a couple of years in NRC and then have played some club at the back end of the season.
They have had opportunities to play against men and international teams, at a higher level.
The young guys coming through today, like Kalani, Nonggorr, Creighton, Wallis, haven’t had those development opportunities and the highest rep honours Thomas has had is Aus Schoolboys/U18’s. Looking back to the game in 2019 v NZ where the Aus boys won, Kalani wasn’t even the starting 9. Since then I could be wrong, but the only opportunity he has had to play against men is his 20 mins off the bench so for the Reds, with last weekend being his first game for UQ in Prem grade. So nothing against the young lad at all, I am sure he is a terrific young man and Thorn is not wrong in the fact that he is an exceptional talent, its just a strange choice as to bringing him in to Super Rugby so early, particularly at this end of the season, without the background experience at higher level games. I did see the Souths No 9 put a try on against him down the side line last weekend and I wouldn’t class Thomas’s effort or speed in the chase as being that of a Super Rugby level player, whereas Moses was and has been dominant at club level.

From Adam84
"As for ASY (Angus Scott-Young) ahead of Blyth/Smith, well Blyth is the only one who can feel miffed here. Smith has had ample game time this season for a debutant. There’s clearly something in his game which Thorn wants Blyth to work on and improve:.

Curious that the last game Blythe played was v Force and from stats memory he made 17 tackles that game? I am sure the stats guru’s will correct me but he had one of his best games, went toe to toe with the Mo off against the legend Thrush. Yet Blythe has not been seen again and whilst Smith did his job against Waratahs and Burmbies, and I certainly agree with Thorn’s process of giving the guys some starts and some time from the bench, he wasn’t outstanding if you compare him to Blythe. It’s interesting because Mafi, Nonggorr and Blythe were ridiculously dominant against the Easts pack and line out, which included Wright, Uru, Asiata and Grant last weekend.
Mafi’s line outs to Blythe, followed by the maul drive were faultless and led to 3 tries for the Big Mafi. Wright, Uru and Grant were not able to contain the Bond line out no matter where Mafi threw it. Mafi’s throws were exceptional.
The forward drives were ala Brumbies style and Nonggorr (who played 60mins) was all over big George Francis in the scrum. The Bond scrum literally drove over the East scrum time and time again.
Yet interestingly, Mafi is on the bench.
Now Reg, i'm not saying anything about Thorn as coach or Reds or QLD Rugby, I am a huge supporter of all, and like we all questioned Flook starting to replace Hunter v Brumbies rather than moving Jordie in, no doubt our thoughts on things will be shovved up our proverbial asses by the lads getting on and doing the job Thorn knows they can do.
In Thorn we trust.
Amen

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I have to say fellas, looking forward to the game. Be a good indicator of a young team's ability to maintain the rage when there not a hell of a lot on the result. To be honest if Reds were really on fire it wouldn't be close, but it maybe reasonable .

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Fantastic, almost full page coverage in today's West Australian including some commentary from WF CEO Tony Lewis.

0779_001.jpg

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
WA more than likely about to into a COVID lockdown. Not sure what that means for the game tonight.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Perth going into 3 day lockdown.........

Edit: I forgot this game was in Perth - apparently still going ahead and everyone must wear a mask.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
The lockdown starts at midnight tonight - I guess that means the game is still on with a crowd too?