• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) Round 1 25/02/23 Force v Rebels

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Photo with the Legend. I've never looked better! Never stop being a fan and in awe of the players.

20230225_221122.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Great job, totally controlled the second half. Hegarty and Stewart are two good old fashioned rugby players that just controlled the game really well. Liked the look of Williams as well and Horton off the bench, kaituu and Fainga'a better watch out or one will be on the outer

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Pretty poor effort by the Rebs after the first 30 mins, rarely got over gain line, kicked poorly and too many missed first up tackles. Not sure if it was s tactic to just keep giving up The limited possession they had. Another long season ahead

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Pretty poor effort by the Rebs after the first 30 mins, rarely got over gain line, kicked poorly and too many missed first up tackles. Not sure if it was s tactic to just keep giving up The limited possession they had. Another long season ahead
That was dreary stuff after a great first half. Our bench forwards look too big and unfit and reckless in their tackles. Starting backrow was fantastic. Ili & Hodge are not a proper centre pairings. Wings are wasted.

Good comeback from the Force, well done. Happy to see Horton find a home, he's too good not to be in Super. Chase was great, broke tackles every time he touched the ball.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Wonder if the Lourens/Gordon combo will be able to fire given Lourens' inability to throw a sharp pass (surely a pre-req for professional 9s???), tendency for slow ball and Gordon sitting relatively deep in the pocket. Ili is serviceable at best as a 12 - lacks the step and ball skills to make up for the smaller body.

Back three looked pretty good for the Rebels. Ioane was impressive.

All that said, the game ended as I expected from about the 30th minute. Not a capitulation but just the cumulative effect of our inability to bend/break the line.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
That was dreary stuff after a great first half. Our bench forwards look too big and unfit and reckless in their tackles. Starting backrow was fantastic. Ili & Hodge are not a proper centre pairings. Wings are wasted.

Good comeback from the Force, well done. Happy to see Horton find a home, he's too good not to be in Super. Chase was great, broke tackles every time he touched the ball.
To be fair all the bench forwards are coming off injuries so probably are under done

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Wonder if the Lourens/Gordon combo will be able to fire given Lourens' inability to throw a sharp pass (surely a pre-req for professional 9s???), tendency for slow ball and Gordon sitting relatively deep in the pocket. Ili is serviceable at best as a 12 - lacks the step and ball skills to make up for the smaller body.

Back three looked pretty good for the Rebels. Ioane was impressive.

All that said, the game ended as I expected from about the 30th minute. Not a capitulation but just the cumulative effect of our inability to bend/break the line.
Not sure if Lourens style of Dummy Half Halfback will suit if they maintain pushing the pace of games which I hope they do.

Tuttle is a clean Halfback who will do a job.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Bailey kunzuel (butcher that didn't I) is a good footy player. Last year he really stepped up and this year could be a bit of a break out. Never know. Could be a wallaby by the next world cup
He's got potential as does Reesjan Pasitoa (when he returns). I'm not sure I was seeing them evolve as hoped under Tim Sampson, so I'm hoping Simon Cron might help then develop their craft and guide them.
Tom Horton - ex Waratah who had a 5 game stint at Leicester.
Came in to replace Jack Winchester after the eos Japan trip.
He did a good job as a last minute replacement.
Horton has always been reasonably good in open play, had a few good games for the Tah's but just wasnt consistent. It's been his set piece work in particular that hasn't historically been where it should be. Some real wonky throws over the years, especially at clutch times. Hopefully he picked up a few pointers in England and has continued to hone his craft.

Considering Simon Cron's uncle is Mike Cron (NZ/All Blacks scrum guru), you'd hope he might know a thing or two about scrums and lineouts and be able to help Tom keep improving.

Last edited:

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

It was a funny game with lots being not exactly where you'd like it to be yet somehow not unenjoyable to watch. I couldn't quiet work out if it was the Rebels loosing their way in the second half or The Force minimising errors, simplifying things that was the real difference. The Force bench also had more impact.

The Rebels have a lot to work on before The Hurricanes next week. The Force v. Reds will be an interesting fixture. I'm not sure who is due back for both squads.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
The only issue with Force, too many ineligibles players on field. It's like a foreigner team. It needs more Aussie players or at least elegible players to feed the WBs

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
It was a funny game with lots being not exactly where you'd like it to be yet somehow not unenjoyable to watch. I couldn't quiet work out if it was the Rebels loosing their way in the second half or The Force minimising errors, simplifying things that was the real difference. The Force bench also had more impact.

The Rebels have a lot to work on before The Hurricanes next week. The Force v. Reds will be an interesting fixture. I'm not sure who is due back for both squads.
I think it was a bit of both, the force lifted and took their game to another level. The rebels to me looked to be trying to save the game in the second half as opposed to trying to win it

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The only issue with Force, too many ineligibles players on field. It's like a foreigner team. It needs more Aussie players or at least elegible players to feed the WBs

Honestly, I don't really care about the number of ineligible players they've got. The primary goals for the Force should be to 1) be competitive. If that means signing foreign talent then so be it and 2) provide a pathway for WA players to professional Rugby. Same for Melbourne. If the only Australian developed players on either team were local products then I'd be fine with it. As I think it would benefit Australian Rugby as a whole.