• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

State of Origin Concept

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Interesting that a NSW supporter would suggest that this concept is the cause of QLD been in a rut, yeah the Reds are struggling but Rugby Union exposure in QLD is remarkably strong, it's across all the newspaper, on the news and across the radio.. QRU just signed a new sponsorship with news.com in QLD for added exposure including full page lift outs In the news paper.

Besides the Sydney 7s, Rugby in NSW barely rates a mention across any of the mediums.. most marketing I have seen was for the Brisbane 10s.

Therein lies the issue, the June break represents a black hole for Rugby Union, Waratahs CEO even said that the concept of the SOO has been healthy for the code because it has generated discussion in Rugby in a period which is historically a black spot for the code. This concept is about keeping the code in the headlines, ratings and crowds have historically slumped after the June test series, Wallabies playing isn't simply enough. The June test series isn't going to be getting thrown out anytime soon, it has another few years to run at least.

So.. what's the solution, if it's not the SOO, then a possibles vs probables isn't the solution either. If both are those are regressive, then sitting on our hands and pretending that doing nothing is an improvement isn't exactly progressive either.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
TOCC the SOO concept is being driven by QRU hence discussing Qld motivation behind it. Completely agree that NSWRU is in a rut too, but they don't appear to be as enthusiastic about it as QRU.

I'm not sure if a fixture is required but if SOO and a poss v prob match aren't of interest other options could be:
Super rugby 7s
A barbarian type exhibition match (best players in Australia vs each other but not a trial)
Northern hemisphere vs Southern hemi (if calendars permit)

Just quietly I think the Brisbane 10s should be scheduled during this week (June test period) rather than the start of year. Would probably be missing test stars

I'm sure there are holes in all those suggestions. Just some thoughts.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
TOCC the SOO concept is being driven by QRU hence discussing Qld motivation behind it. Completely agree that NSWRU is in a rut too, but they don't appear to be as enthusiastic about it as QRU.

I'm not sure if a fixture is required but if SOO and a poss v prob match aren't of interest other options could be:
Super rugby 7s
A barbarian type exhibition match (best players in Australia vs each other but not a trial)

Just quietly I think the Brisbane 10s should be scheduled during this week (June test period) rather than the start of year. Would probably be missing test stars

I'm sure there holes in all those suggestions. Just some thoughts.

I think a bit of a 10s mini tournament would actually be worthwhile during that period. Would keep those not involved in national set ups playing.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah. You get the impression it's going to happen. Barker must have been able to present a model that gives money to all franchises.

Don't know how.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yeah. You get the impression it's going to happen. Barker must have been able to present a model that gives money to all franchises.

Don't know how.

Mentions that in order for all the franchises to be on board they would likely have to share the spoils.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hopefully the other three Soup teams will prevent this from being the desperate gimmick it would be.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Hopefully the other three Soup teams will prevent this from being the desperate gimmick it would be.

Unfortunately, if the ARU can secure a deal that proves lucrative (it falls outside of SANZAAR TV rights deal) it wouldn't be hard seeing the franchises running at it.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I think it is interesting that the super rugby teams will have the final say.

We have the Reds and Waratahs in super rugby but I thought they were franchises owned by the state rugby unions.

Who has the final say in where a player plays? Is it the franchise or the state union?

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
This could be really interesting, especially if we could get players back from overseas - we could have Drew Mitchell playing for Queensland and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for NSW.

Of course, NSW gets George Smith and Michael Hooper, but QLD gets Pocock. Berrick Barnes and JOC (James O'Connor) might even want in on the action, word is they've been enjoying Brisbane all week.

If they really want to add some spice, they should get Michael Chieka to coach NSW and Link to coach QLD.

(An alternative is getting Eddie Jones to coach NSW, he wont be doing much then anyway!)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There is no reason to think overseas players would be available for this. It's not a test match.

T

TOCC

Waratahs CEO Andrew Hore seems pretty enthusiastic:

“We want to be following gore sports that have become fan-centric in their new competitions, and then develop something. An Origin game is part of a smorgasbord of things we can be looking at.”

“We need to have discussions and about what will the content be, and what will inspire and motivate people to get involved. Obviously Big Bash has done that,” Hore said.

“One, we are committed to Super Rugby and improving that, and two, we generally do feel there is not enough content for domestic rugby at a professional level. There is room for more content,” Hore said.

T

TOCC

Super rugby 7s

I'm sure there are holes in all those suggestions. Just some thoughts.

The issue is the June break, it completely destroys any momentum generated through the season for fans, it needs to be removed but won't be, at least not any time soon.

They need more content during this period, relying on the Wallabies to carry the Rugby Union brand during that period simply isn't working. I don't know what the ideal solution is, but I'm 100% certain that more content is needed to keep the Rugby fans engaged during this period.

And a trial match or probably vs possible just doesn't generate enough marketing momentum.

Status
Not open for further replies.