• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers v Tahs, round 8 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Unfortunately a very ignorant one. The Jews out of South Africa don't particularly care for any Nazi like fascination.

His comment was tongue in cheek saying that the only thing he knew about Africa was that an Indiana Jones movie featuring Nazis looking for the Ark was set there.

I really don't think he was making any aspersions that South Africans were Nazis or anything of the sort.

I think several of us would have gone to town on him if he had made that sort of insinuation. I for one don't support the right for someone to be a bigot.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Cyril Towers (30)
Izzy is here with the team and looks fine. He'll play. Being at Kings Park on Sat with a decent sized South African crowd helps you understand how hard it is to win here. And the Sharks were pretty good on the night, especially their scrambling. Stormers will be glad to be home and keen to get their season back on track. This game will be tough. On another note, put a game park safari on your bucket list. Amazing experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
@topo check out the Stormers' injury list. Tahs have got to be favourites here, and if Folau plays, I think they should win well.

Stormers have too many forwards out, and probably won't win either set piece battle, and they won't compete at the ruck. Which means the Tahs backs, who already are light years ahead in attack than the Stormers, should get a good chance to unlock the Stormers' miserly defence.

Cyril Towers (30)
I hope so @Ash. I'll be one of the Tahs supporters at Newlands on Saturday. This is a brilliant country for rugby fans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The Stormers are devastated by injuries,

Sharks were meant to suffer for a lack of established halves pairings. I take nothing for granted when Saffer sides are at home, particularly the Stormers who could be far more than the boring, limited, siege-minded team they play like.

Bob Dwyer's article is pretty much on the money - forwards need to deliver a platform and the backs need to stop fucking it up.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I hope so @Ash. I'll be one of the Tahs supporters at Newlands on Saturday. This is a brilliant country for rugby fans.

Provided you don't walk down the wrong street.

At least that is one ticked off the bucket list. The stadium at Newlands looks fucking imposing.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Stormers are going to eventually win - why not this weekend at home - Reckon they will out-muscle the Tahs and target Izzy bigtime - Folau is a champion footballer and his greatness will be determined on how he handles that targetting of his time and space. Will be great to see how he responds over 80 minutes

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The Stormers are in total disarray. They have just appointed Gert Smal as their Directory of Rugby and word is that he is going to shaw things up.

Alistair Coetzee is a goner, and that he has pretty much lost the confidence of the dressing room.

With their injury list and jet lag they are farked.

The Tahs have so much more to lose. They should get up for this but put all that energy into execution, not stupid niggle.

Really if they don't win this I will struggle not to give up on them.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Point taken. However, it was in the film.

Fair enough but an ignorant attempt at humour. My relatives who escaped the holocaust would have loved to know the true location of the Ark but I very much doubt that it was driven by anything other than their belief in the Torah.

Let's park this and talk about looking for space on the outside because with the slow De Allende on the one wing, no Aplon, and the pedestrian Taute at 15 that is where the Tahs should attack. The Stormers will want to turn this into a shitfight again from what they have seen last weekend. Will they get lured in?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The lineout contests should be errrrr interesting. The Stormers were awful last week, so (apparently) were the Tahs (I could not summon up the interest to watch the replay).

What has happened to the Stormers' defensive systems? Last year their D was sensational. If they can resurrect that part of their game, the Tahs will really struggle, I reckon.

Contrary to a number of others, I think the Tahs halves combo is really, really weak. Put them under pressure, and they turn to shite.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
What has happened to the Stormers' defensive systems? Last year their D was sensational.

Partly injuries I suppose, but partly also that the defensive mindset only gets you so far. Attacking and Defending constantly evolve. Coetzee hasn't

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
Partly injuries I suppose, but partly also that the defensive mindset only gets you so far. Attacking and Defending constantly evolve. Coetzee hasn't

Injuries and disruptions are playing a massive role, but the Stormers' defense is still top notch. The Reds had about three quarters of the ball on Saturday and even more of the good ball, yet they were only able to score a single try. The Stormers lost the game because they couldn't build pressure and were absorbing way too much. It was the quantity rather than the quality of the attack that was the problem over the weekend and for most of the season so far.

When considering the Stormers' season so far you have to consider some of the excuses.
  • They are going into week eight of their season and playing only their second home game.
  • They had their first bye in week one, which is pretty useless. In a fifteen team competition someone will always have a first round bye, but this is then second time in four years that it has been the Stormers.
  • Other than the Lions (a games they were truly awful in), they have only lost to really good teams away from home.
  • The injury situation is reaching comical proportions. They are without nine locks/blindsides going into this weekend's game, two hookers, three wings/fullbacks. Worrying reports are that a number of players are carrying knock which would have seen them sitting out games, but soldiering forth because they simply have more bodies available (Kolisi, Malherbe, Rhodes (another lock), Groom, De Villiers and Taute).
The excuses only go that far though. The stormers are, and have been for some time, weak in the halfbacks. They have had Grant as their number one flyhalf despite spending half his time in Japan. In terms of back-up they have been using Coleman (who is serviceable) and Van Aswegen (who is horrible). They have also resigned Catrikilis, who is solid, but uninspiring. Meanwhile they have lost their exciting u21 duo of Leyds, to the Force, and Swiel to the Sharks. Neither are necessarily the answer, but a) could not be worse and b) show another general issue with recruitment and retention of players.

Recruitment and retention is a major weakness in the team. Take the situation in the backthree. In the last year they have lost Habana, Van Der Heever and Joe Pieterson overseas. Van Der Heever was actually brought in to replace JJ Engelbrecht who left two years ago for the Bulls. It is going to impossible to keep all their players, but every time someone leaves it seems like they go into crisis mode, there doesn't seem to be system in place of getting the right guys into the junior teams and then backing them to do a job. Devon Williams and Pat Howard have been turning out regularly for the u21 and vodacom cup teams but they rather go looking overseas for emergency cover. Forward planning doesn't seem to be happening at any level within the organisation. Probably the worst example is Willie Le Roux. In 2011 he carved up for Boland, one of the Stormer feeder unions, but instead of signing him they spent resources getting Joe Pieterson back from France.

T

tranquility

Who is Leyds that you mention, now playing at the Force ?

Status
Not open for further replies.