• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers vs Brumbies @ Newlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
That'll be the focus this week because it doesn't get any easier and they can't win with another scrum performance like that.

Sio is a potential band-aid on a bullet wound but couldn't hurt.

We will get owned by the Lions scrum. IMHO its better than the Stormers and to the rub salt in, its lighter!

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
SANZAR need to wake the fuck up. BERRRRRRY

Not sure WTF going on? Even Joubert was off on tangent tonight at times, the Hoff was patchy.....

Really starting to worry the the "other" headline of the WC will be the refereeing issues and influence it has / had on results.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I have no doubt the refereeing at the RWC will be headline stuff. Especially with no Walsh.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Not sure whether it was the kicking or the discipline that cost them in the end but it wasn't one of the best Brumbies games. Not scoring more points when dominating territory in the first half was obviously costly.

I will admit Smiler's clean out on Burger was dangerous and got what it deserved but considering how quick Berry was to get on the whistle the rest of the game, I'm not sure how this wasn't even looked at considering it's law 10.4 (j) to a tee:

RC_Tackle.jpg

Gorgodze

Bob McCowan (2)
Just so disappointing. Once again good enough to be right in it but not to win.

Stormers were diabolical in the first half, if we were a better side we'd have been out of sight.

Our scrum is a weakness without Sio but we don't seem to recognize that. Despite being regarded as good kickers white and mogg served up their usual fare of kicks that went out when they shouldn't and didn't go out when they should. Our backline shape is not good. Coleman is too lateral at 12. I wonder if TK at 12 and Henry at 13 is worth considering while MT is out . Lilo is just not a reliable kicker any more.

On the upside we battled bloody hard and ultimately should have won.

gee Vermuelen is a good player...

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
A 20-5 penalty count is never going to be easy to counter. In the end you can't blame CLL when you've given that many penalties, however dodgy some of them were.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'm not sure what frustrated me more.....

Lilo's choke.... The Brumbies continue to start with JP Smith... Stuart Berry.... or the commentary?

Haven't seen the game yet, but JP has been a liability in the starting scrums since Scott was injured. Bernie really needed to shift Ben A back to LH and bring Ruan Smith in to TH. May be too late for the season now as they are going to struggle to make the finals from here.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
A 20-5 penalty count is never going to be easy to counter. In the end you can't blame CLL when you've given that many penalties, however dodgy some of them were.

When the kick is that easy in the dying minutes of the game then I think its fair to say Lilo is to blame. Or at least was a HUGE contributor to the loss.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I agree Sio is a great scrummager but will one person really make that much of a difference?

We didn't just lose one or two scrums we were totally dominated all game. Same with the Tahs game.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
When the kick is that easy in the dying minutes of the game then I think its fair to say Lilo is to blame. Or at least was a HUGE contributor to the loss.
15 points given away in penalties was the problem. It shouldn't have come down to one kick. He was one of the better players. It's not fair to lay the blame at his feet (pardon the pun)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There was 10 minutes of game time left after "that kick" from Lilo.

Plenty of time left to get more points to win the game.

If "that kick" was a HUGE contributor to their loss, then every knock on, and offside from the Ponies were also HUGE contributers to the loss.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Brumbies lost that one through nothing but their own fault. Clearly the better side. The stormers delivered more cheap shots then I have scene in ages. Berry lost the plot in the second half and penalised the brumbies for anything and everything.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
That kick could very well be season defining. A school boy could easily have made it. WTF

Nah, our season died losing to the Blues and the Rebels.

We'd have taken a 1 point loss at Newlands if offered earlier in the season.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
RE scrums:

I don't get JP Smith. Ruan is a beast, but JP isn't up to this level, he gets owned week in week out.

Poor kick from Christian, but it happens. Easy to blame the loss on him, but he did get 4/5.

Giving up a 16-3 lead in the last 10mins of the first half is what did us, we gave them momentum and a positive mindset to start the second half from.

I'm not convinced about Coleman at 12. He's a good player, but at this level he's just not big enough there, put him back at 15 and bring Ah Wong into the 12 jersey, and just tell him smash people. Or Dargaville.

We've got to have a direct 12, the play has been too lateral the last few weeks. Lilo takes it to the line and then the receiver needs to smash into it and over the advantage line, not take it and go sideways looking to be a second playmaker. YOU"RE ALREADY AT THE ADVANTAGE LINE, GET OVER IT!

Kick aside, I thought CL was very good again, but i'll bet Bernie rushes To'omua back in as soon as he can walk.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
RE scrums:

I don't get JP Smith. Ruan is a beast, but JP isn't up to this level, he gets owned week in week out.

Poor kick from Christian, but it happens. Easy to blame the loss on him, but he did get 4/5.

Giving up a 16-3 lead in the last 10mins of the first half is what did us, we gave them momentum and a positive mindset to start the second half from.

I'm not convinced about Coleman at 12. He's a good player, but at this level he's just not big enough there, put him back at 15 and bring Ah Wong into the 12 jersey, and just tell him smash people. Or Dargaville.

We've got to have a direct 12, the play has been too lateral the last few weeks. Lilo takes it to the line and then the receiver needs to smash into it and over the advantage line, not take it and go sideways looking to be a second playmaker. YOU"RE ALREADY AT THE ADVANTAGE LINE, GET OVER IT!

Kick aside, I thought CL was very good again, but i'll bet Bernie rushes To'omua back in as soon as he can walk.

Mogg has been playing well. I wouldn't be moving him from fullback.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
There was 10 minutes of game time left after "that kick" from Lilo.

Plenty of time left to get more points to win the game.

If "that kick" was a HUGE contributor to their loss, then every knock on, and offside from the Ponies were also HUGE contributers to the loss.

Yeah I think I was still pissed off after the game. If it was a one-off I wouldn't have been so pissed - but he has done that quite a few times now although never this critical.

Lilo did have a great game I thought, apart from the kick. He was tackling a rampaging Vermulen and putting hits on Bok forwards, really impressed with how dominate his tackling is now. Same goes for most of the other Brumbies.

Status
Not open for further replies.