• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers vs Brumbies @ Newlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I don't recall this supposed intimidation gameplan?

There were quite a few series of handbags throughout the match, some of which were instigated by cheap shots from the Stormers early on...

The hyperbole being spat out by the commentators was pathetic....
Ja the commentators play rugby and the players tuned in. Awesome.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
i was very disappointed by the SA commentators, i am by no means a brumbies fan and the stormers are my favourite SA team, but their usual level headed unbiased commentary was not on show on the weekend and i think helped magnify the poor game Stuart Berry had.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
The SA commentators have devolved significantly the last two seasons. In 2013 they were considered the most neutral, now I'd have them last.

PROPPY

Frank Row (1)
No chicken run for the Smiths mate, whole family immigrated already around 2006, plan was always to join their family

PROPPY

Frank Row (1)
And look now what difference the twins made against the Lions 2nd half maybe just need more game time

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
And look now what difference the twins made against the Lions 2nd half maybe just need more game time

Didn't JP get schooled against the Stormers at scrum time - but then both Smith brothers looked good against the Lions. Hard to bloody tell what's going on.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Lions also replaced their front row?
Lions scrum surely is one of the best in the competition. The Twins dominate them. Thats where the Brumbies won the match.

JP getting schooled? Malherbe/Koch schooled all LH's this season.

@ Proppy: I know them well , my kid was in the same class as the twins from WA Joubert to Gim.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Lions scrum surely is one of the best in the competition. The Twins dominate them. Thats where the Brumbies won the match.

JP getting schooled? Malherbe/Koch schooled all LH's this season.

@ Proppy: I know them well , my kid was in the same class as the twins from WA Joubert to Gim.

I thought the Stormers scrum looked stronger then the Lions... at least against the Brumbies anyway. Both strong though.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I thought the Stormers scrum looked stronger then the Lions. at least against the Brumbies anyway. Both strong though.
I agree. Interesting thing is that the Stormers still havent contracted Vincent Koch. He is at the Pumas on contract and only got to the Stormers because the Lions havent shown interest in him. He'll play CC for the Pumas and may go to the Lions next year before getting off contract at the end of 2016.
Sport24
Koch shock for WP

Cape Town - Star Stormers prop Vincent Koch will not be available for Western Province in this year’s Currie Cup.
According to Netwerk24, Koch’s contract with the Pumas lasts until the end of 2016 and his home union has no intention of letting him go.
“He will play (Currie Cup rugby) for me in 2015 and 2016,” said Pumas president Hein Mentz.
“Our viewpoint is that we give players opportunities to improve. Therefore, we made Vincent available to the Stormers and Renaldo Bothma and Giant Mtyanda to the Sharks.
“Vincent was loaned to the Stormers because the Lions, our franchise partner, didn’t regard him as good enough.”
Mentz added that there is still uncertainty regarding the franchise composition for next year’s expanded Super Rugby competition.
Should the Pumas again form part of the Lions franchise, then that franchise would have first option to utilise Koch, otherwise he could return to play for the Stormers.
When probed about the possibility of selling Koch to Western Province on a permanent basis, Mentz said: “Money can’t buy everything. We have a long-term vision here. If you make short-term decisions, it could cost you in the long run.”
Koch has been a standout performer for the Stormers this year and with Frans Malherbe likely away at the Boks, his absence would be felt by WP in the Currie Cup.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Ok RE the scrums:

I don't rate JP, he doesn't seem to be up to this level, YET. I don't think it's technique, he just doesn't seem strong enough yet, which isn't reason to flick him, it just means that like all props, he needs time for his muscles to gain that extra hardness and strength that the late twenties provides.

Ruan is a beast, he's a very good, very strong tighthead who I think is actually better than Benny A at TH.

Alaaalaltoalaoaltotoala: Monster. Hugely strong, with good technique, and very solid round the park. At this stage, better than JP.

The twins came on after 50 odd minutes, against the tired first choice Lions row to begin with, and then against their reserve props.

So the previous week, we had JP and Benny A = poor combo against a very good combo

This week: Allan A + Benny A = solid combo against a very good Lions front row, and the scrums reflected that in the first half. Second half, the twins came on, but scrummed against the Lions reserve front row for the most part, and got the wood over them.

Status
Not open for further replies.