• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers vs Brumbies @ Newlands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
On a serious note...

Crap ref and TMO decisions but did not decide the outcome of the game.

Still not convinced about the Stormers game plan. They still ground it out but happened to score a little more than usual.

Brumbies abandoned the game that works for them. Why? Dumb tactics. Maybe they analysed the Stomps defense and felt that they would struggle to break it out wide? That's about the only logic I can come up with.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
No one's said that they lost because of crap referees/decisions. All the comments I've seen from Brumbies supporters and many others have said that we didn't deserve the win, and I agree. As I said earlier, they should've stuck to their own game plan. When we had the ball and didn't kick it away we were looking good. Shit happens.......on to the next game.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I'm sure this has already been moaned about (and I don't often moan about reffing decisions myself) but there's something about an Afrikaans accent on a TMO feed that tells me with complete certainty that a wrong decision is about to be made.

G

galumay

I'm sure this has already been moaned about (and I don't often moan about reffing decisions myself) but there's something about an Afrikaans accent on a TMO feed that tells me with complete certainty that a wrong decision is about to be made.

No doubt there are some South Africans who say the same about an Australian accent.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Brumbies need to bounce back with a good win against the Cheetahs next week, because they've got a tough match when they return home from South Africa to play the Chiefs in Canberra before the bye............

The Brumbies have had a habit of falling into a mid season slump the past few years, and they need to head into their bye week with a bit of form or I fear the early season hype will be just that..........

The Rebels now sit just behind them on the table with the same amount of points.

Reactions: mst

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
I only saw the last 10 minutes so i dont have a complete pic of the match... Brumbies need to move on and focus on the next match now.. Clearly many things just weren't in favour for the team and they play better as we gave seen. I hope the avaliable players will be fit for the cheetahs match this is an important win on the road now...

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
No doubt there are some South Africans who say the same about an Australian accent.

I didn't mean you, Galumay!

But you're right, there are many who do. They have the disadvantage of being wrong.

In the case of the Stormers game it was quite outlandish. There was clear air between Mann-Rea's forearm and Oli Kebble's head, and between du Plessis' hand and the ball. But whoever the TMO was (he sounded about ninety) argued for several minutes both times to convince Peyper to keep going back until he agreed to see the same thing.

Not that the Brumbies deserved to win. They didn't. Sometimes rugby is like a sanitary cart: some random shit must go down to get it to balance right.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Consistency within the judiciary.....who'd have thought that would happen? I was sure he'd get at least 4.

fo!!ower

Chris McKivat (8)
Notwithstanding all the other crazy TMO decisions that went down, did anybody else see Etzebeth putting one of the Brumbies (I think it was Arnold) in a rough headlock during a maul?

It was in the first half, quite early I think. Both Etzebeth and Arnold were in the middle of the maul standing up and Etzebeth grabbed Arnold around the neck with his arm and was quite violently reefing back on his neck. That maul was the subject of a few replays (just on TV I think, not a TMO review) but the commentators didn't say anything about it at all. Peyper was standing behind the maul watching and despite it happening in full view he didn't say anything or ask for a TMO review for foul play.

I thought that World Rugby had given a strict edict that any sort of neck rolling or other above-the-shoulder contact was to be stamped out? Certainly in other games they have been really cracking down on it.

I'm ok with having local refs appointed as doing it any other way will add hugely to the cost of running Super Rugby (plus the refs would never be home if they were only allowed to ref games between two foreign teams, making it harder to retain refs long term), but SANZAAR needs to take over control of the in-stadium TV replays - too often the host Union/club uses the big screen to influence the ref's decision making.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The issue at hand has nothing to do with bias and everything with protocol.

Despite years of fuckups with TV refs the protocol is not clear and the process of enforcing it is inconsistent.

It needs to be simple. Ref asks question. TV guy answers then shuts his gob, unless the ref asks him for clarification, or footage or more input. The ref makes the decision. He exercises discretion if he did not see the incident himself. Jonker was acting like a ref. Not a TV ref. He was arguing a point and this IS NEVER his job. Does he know the protocol? Or did he just wear his ref's hat as this is what he is used to?

Someone needs t sit the TV ref guys down and explains to them that their job really is NOT to have an impact on the game. There is no moment in the sunshine. They do not have a claim to fame. If they have a small ego it's not a job for them. If they are pissy about the job then fuck off (a few of them are failed refs remember?)

For every bitch and moan about a biased South African ref performance I'll raise you an incompetent and/or biased Aussie one. Neither of us will ever win the argument. It's a waste of time.

SANZAR needs to fix this but we know they won't. It's abundantly clear that for these fuckwits the quality of the game is not their top priority. It's all about the next TV rights negotiation. These minor details just get in the way of planning and scheming.

I wish we could learn from the NFL how to use the bloody television. It' the REFS who look at the footage and THEY make the decision.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I didn't mean you, Galumay!

But you're right, there are many who do. They have the disadvantage of being wrong.

In the case of the Stormers game it was quite outlandish. There was clear air between Mann-Rea's forearm and Oli Kebble's head, and between du Plessis' hand and the ball. But whoever the TMO was (he sounded about ninety) argued for several minutes both times to convince Peyper to keep going back until he agreed to see the same thing.

Not that the Brumbies deserved to win. They didn't. Sometimes rugby is like a sanitary cart: some random shit must go down to get it to balance right.

GAGR Rule 7.1.4 sub-clause 18.4. - "Though shalt not be a bigoted pistonwristedgibbon"

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Overall I was very surprised that the Bush Donkey's attack was so effectively nullified - 11 points would be a concern for them.

You would have to say that over the last five years the Stormers' defensive patterns have been streets ahead of everyone else. They seem to be able to get two tacklers and two pilferers/cleanout men to every tackle without opening holes around them.They do this to almost everyone.

Fortunately for every other team they spend so much time in defence training that they don't have any time left for attack training.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
So you don't need to Have downward pressure or control of the ball to score a try. So you can just run across the try line and throw the ball down now to Score A Try?

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
This is the last thing I'll say about this game.

Well done to the Stormers for winning the game and they deserved to win the game with the tactics they used, especially kicking at Toua and keeping Pocock reasonably quiet.

The one thing I will say about the TMO referral system for foul play and this also goes back to the Brumbies v Waratahs game on the Lousii v Butler incident.

Is the TMO there to assist or advise on these incidents? This latest one had Jaco Peyper and Marius Jonker confused about the issue that nearly took 4 minutes to sort out and had Peyper and Jonker settling on a yellow card before looking for an elbow that ended up a red card.

Should they go the way of the NFL on a challenge where the head umpire looks at a monitor himself to come up with a decision and go away from multiple replays on the big screen and getting the crowd involved?

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
After been MIA for many months I thought I may return on a winning note, yea softcock whatever.. However "Bias it was the Ref cheating shyte" taking up more than half the comments reminded me why I was MIA...

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Maybe if you'd read more carefully you'd have noticed that we weren't blaming the ref for the loss but for the ineptitude of some of the decisions.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sweet victory by the Stormers, even more sweeter by the Brumbies posters on here. ;)

Etsebeth is just to massive for these Aussies. :)

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Etsebeth is just to massive for these Aussies. :)
giphy.gif
12142443_410061875859014_749898644_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.