• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers vs Brumbies @ Newlands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
The difference in intensity between derby games and away games against kiwis/saffers is really marked. The guys looked about 40% less interested than against say the tahs. More on the line I guess, but disappointing nonetheless.

As others have said, the Stormers deserved the win but probably not the margin. They played in the right half of the field. Also, how shit were the brumbies at kick receipts? There's just a feeling of inevitability when you see an Australian team contesting a high ball and the other team coming away with it.

I didn't listen to the commentary, but watching the feed and reading the comments here again makes me wonder what safeguards are in place to limit the control of whoever provides the TMO with angles. There's been much outrage about Sexton's appeal to the ref, but what annoys me more is the TV editors' appeals to the ref, usually played to the crowd over and over again at slow motion from 20 angles. Sometimes while play is still going on. Always when it's the home team that stands to gain. And how many times do you see something dodgy done by the home team and don't see a single replay of it, even when the commentators mention it and wait for a replay themselves?

That said, I saw Marler punch the Welsh prop in the face (and then laugh at him) in about 6 replays in the Wales v England match and neither the commentators nor the refs noticed it. Although it was only played in checking for a try scored and the angle that would've most clearly shown the punch was cut short just as he drew his fist back. But still, if nobody can see a full-screen punch in 6 replays then obviously the camera isn't king.

Well done to the Stormers, but I thought the Brumbies would come back until the red card. Really stupid by MR, and not surprising at all to see Etzebeth involved. A yellow would've been insufficient punishment for so much stupidity, regardless of how the decision to award the red was arrived at.

Status
Not open for further replies.