• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers vs Crusaders Round number 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Cape Times
Cape rugby fans blasted

Cape Town - The Western Province Rugby Union has begun an investigation into alleged incidents of bad behaviour by spectators at Newlands during the Stormers vs Crusaders Super Rugby match on Easter Saturday.
The Crusaders beat the Stormers 19-14 on Saturday night, but even before the match had got under way, local Crusaders fans had booed the Stormers players as they got off the team bus outside the stadium, according to Stormers and Springbok wing Bryan Habana.
Habana, who is out with a knee injury and did not play on Saturday, was critical of the incident, stating on Twitter afterwards: “I highly doubt there’s any place in the world where you get booed off your bus, at your home stadium, by your ‘fellow’ countrymen.
“If I had the money I would happily buy all these ‘Cape Crusaders’ a one way ticket to Christchurch!! #disappointedproudsouthafrican”
Stormers goal-kicker Joe Pietersen was also booed by some sections of the crowd when lining up a penalty or conversion, while the Crusaders team were cheered on to the field by their supporters who wore Crusaders and All Black rugby jerseys.
WP Rugby managing director Rob Wagner said in a statement on Monday that the union apologised to any spectators who were affected by any poor crowd behaviour.
“WP Rugby acknowledges that there were incidents of poor behaviour from within certain quarters of the Newlands crowd during Saturday’s Super Rugby clash between the Stormers and the Crusaders,” the statement said.
“A full investigation is taking place to ensure that Newlands remains an enjoyable rugby venue for all members of the rugby-watching public.”
Wagner added: “We would like to apologise to any members of the crowd who were inconvenienced in any way on Saturday. We will never condone bad behaviour from anyone in the crowd at Newlands.
“There seems to be a history of incidents when the Stormers and the Crusaders play at Newlands, and we are already in conversation with all role-players to ensure that we do not have a repeat of this in the future.”
Cape Times

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Many of them would have supported the AB's during apartheid years.

And why the Crusaders? They are the whitest team in NZ.
Or did they just jump on the bandwagon when the Crusaders starting winning so many titles?
Did they support the Crusaders that one year they were shite?

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Never realised that supporting the wrong team counted as 'bad spectator behaviour'.
You're obviously right across all the detail aren't you? Clearly the WP Rugby Union are "investigating" to find people who weren't supporting the Stormers and these must be the "incidents" Managing Director Rob Wagner refers to.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
You're obviously right across all the detail aren't you? Clearly the WP Rugby Union are "investigating" to find people who weren't supporting the Stormers and these must be the "incidents" Managing Director Rob Wagner refers to.

My comment was not a serious one, but I can't find any mention in the article of any incidents that would require investigation - such as violence or abuse of other crowd members. All the article talks about is that Stormers players were booed, Crusaders were cheered and they're not happy about it.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
And why the Crusaders? They are the whitest team in NZ.
Or did they just jump on the bandwagon when the Crusaders starting winning so many titles?
Did they support the Crusaders that one year they were shite?
To be honest they dont know the differense between Canterbury and the Crusaders.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Cape Crusader fans.

cce12ef8f90146ca8674e5f11a4422ca.jpg

1fb94b19ff2f4c2faaa032ea71d17670.jpg

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I see Sir Richie GOAT has been promoted up the Royal order to King McCaw. :)

Did you get along to the game PaarlBok ?

Seemed like a good atmosphere, on a good day, with some good footy played, although many locals would be disappointed with the result, and it sounds like many locals are happy with the result as well.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think the Highlanders need an investigation, Grandson (who is not into rugby at all) is attending Otago Uni, and pretty good mates with a couple of Aussie girls that are students there, so he went to game with them, DRESSED IN RED (and I saw him on tv) !!!!, and supported the Reds!!! Geez he even got pics with QC (Quade Cooper) and a couple of other Reds boys, I think Highlanders fans should possibly be outraged!!!!!!:p

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Dan54, I think that this belongs in the Clan vs the Reds thread.

That being said, it is good to see one of the Darkness Tribe members come across to the light, even if it is in a vile red colour, rather than the more stylish Sky Blue.

Having been young once, I suspect that there may be an ulterior motive in the choice of team he has chosen to support, given the company he is keeping.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I see Sir Richie GOAT has been promoted up the Royal order to King McCaw. :)

Did you get along to the game PaarlBok ?

Seemed like a good atmosphere, on a good day, with some good footy played, although many locals would be disappointed with the result, and it sounds like many locals are happy with the result as well.
Nah I walked line and luckily missed the match.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I think the Highlanders need an investigation, Grandson (who is not into rugby at all) is attending Otago Uni, and pretty good mates with a couple of Aussie girls that are students there, so he went to game with them, DRESSED IN RED (and I saw him on tv) !!!!, and supported the Reds!!! Geez he even got pics with QC (Quade Cooper) and a couple of other Reds boys, I think Highlanders fans should possibly be outraged!!!!!!:p
Dan54, I think that this belongs in the Clan vs the Reds thread.

That being said, it is good to see one of the Darkness Tribe members come across to the light, even if it is in a vile red colour, rather than the more stylish Sky Blue.

Having been young once, I suspect that there may be an ulterior motive in the choice of team he has chosen to support, given the company he is keeping.

HJ, I think the comments were tongue in cheek, given the comments earlier in the thread.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hawko, ever been to the deep south of NZ. It is bloody cold down there and they take their footy and their scarfies seriously.

I can only imagine the shame if one of mine went across to the dark side, a reverse Dan54.

It is good that Dans boy prefers some good Aussie talent over the local wooly version usually favored by our transTasman cousins, even if Dan's boys preference is for those from north of the Tweed.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
Non of the "so called" sader supporter are Black. Far from it in fact. Have a look again and I guarantee you will never spot a black AB/crusader supporter.

It all started in the non white only railway stand at Newlands during the 76 AB tour. You would be VERY hard pressed to find a black in that section it was almost totally Cape Coloureds
I attended the WP/AB game that we won I may add! Yes I was there!!

They did everything to support the opposition including a few behind the hand jeers. Believe me in those days they did not want to get caught doing so by the local Boere.
I was a close shipmate in the Navy with one of these so called supporters who did it initially purely as a protest to the white led apartheid government.
Today's it is a little more complicated as it is still against the even more hated black led government but with gangs like the sexy boys and even the 28's getting in on the act and using it as a in your face, stfu badge. Fairly sure there are a few my dad did so am I supporters.
Why the crusader? Simple they win more, not too dissimilarity to all those fake MU supporters.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Non of the "so called" sader supporter are Black. Far from it in fact. Have a look again and I guarantee you will never spot a black AB/crusader supporter.

It all started in the non white only railway stand at Newlands during the 76 AB tour. You would be VERY hard pressed to find a black in that section it was almost totally Cape Coloureds
I attended the WP/AB game that we won I may add! Yes I was there!!

They did everything to support the opposition including a few behind the hand jeers. Believe me in those days they did not want to get caught doing so by the local Boere.
I was a close shipmate in the Navy with one of these so called supporters who did it initially purely as a protest to the white led apartheid government.
Today's it is a little more complicated as it is still against the even more hated black led government but with gangs like the sexy boys and even the 28's getting in on the act and using it as a in your face, stfu badge. Fairly sure there are a few my dad did so am I supporters.
Why the crusader? Simple they win more, not too dissimilarity to all those fake MU supporters.
Whatty the Colours are also on the receiving end of reverse apartheid and probably another reason why they still support the All Blacks.;) They want only coloured players in that Bok side and when they fail they blast their own people like Piet Snor.For some strange reason I found quite a lot of them supporting the Bulls and the All Blacks. Look like a "dwars" habit is the order of the day.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Many of them would have supported the AB's during apartheid years.
This so wrong. I can not people turn this into a political color thing.

I being colored myself and like most my fellow mates and others are WP supporters and we have a proud history with them. You will see WP supporters wearing AB jerseys jumping up and down when the Stormers score a try against the Chiefs. Confusing right? Well there is more Stormers are a separate identity that started in 1998 4 years after 1994. Most of the Cape Crusaders "fans" are 16 - 30 year old. Not even old enough to remember anything from Apartheid. Most of the old guys are WP and Stormers supporters from the Colored community. People keep on jumping to race and think its because of the white guy. But why do we support the "white guy" in everything else?

Let me tell you a little secret about our people. Our Cape Coloreds. We like to talk to the players and shake their hands and ask a autograph with the rugby players. You will see in those old 1980's video matched playing at Newlands there were always a colored bloke to hug Carel Du Plessis or a WP player when he scored. WP players and the opposition no matter if it was Eastern Transvaal that got sloshed 63 - 0 they came out after a game to give autograph and the kids and colored blokes surrounded them to get that autograph and a handshake. Do you see the Stormers guys do that anymore? No they just block em on Twitter (true story). This picture tells you why these people support not the team but to come and see one of their hero's play. Because like Samoan folks we believe in role models a lot and no matter what country he is from we want to be like him or try to imitate him. Off course we like running. Like NZ. This picture tells everything in s million words

images

For those fans is probably the only time in the year they watch rugby. They don't bother with anything about rugby after that but its their one opportunity to talk to a guy like SBW or Carter and catch a autograph. Why were the Stormers boo'd? Apart from acting like cocks (sadly most SA rugby players do) a situation was created by the media giving it so much attention.

Now a lot of trolls have jumped on the bandwagon and yes we coloreds like to be on tv lol so a lot of them have gone out to cause trouble and get that media attention. Because wow after this me wearing a AB or Crusader jersey what is the chances the camera not going to show me? Exactly.

SA rugby union removed the matches because of trouble makers and trolls bating out people and go on and boo the Stormers of the bus like saddo's. That is not on. Why? Because when people drink they wanna moer each other and that is where people will get hurt and the safety of a Kiwi supporter from NZ or not can not be guaranteed as they would be seen as one with the trolls causing the problems. So move it rather because there is nothing worse than Kiwi fans getting hurt at games and allegations of South African fans are violent and such things. We actually do want them to make the trip down here and enjoy the game as well as make them feel safe because we want them to come back.

Me as a die hard WP and Stormers supporter just got one request to the Stormers. You know those guys in the stands. They are your fans. Greeting some of them and giving out autographs to them when your playing at home or abroad won't hurt at all. We do not like to go to some bloody mall to see you parade around with a guy talking kak over a microphone. What is a hour? Its nothing to give back to those paying hard earned money to come and see you play.

Status
Not open for further replies.