• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers Vs Force, Rd 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
What's the go with Wilhelm Steenkamp? Is Foley resting him as part of squad rotation or is he injured?

I only ask because there is all this talk about us targetting the "weak Stormers lineout", but ours has not functioned as effectively as when we had Steenkamp organising it. It sounds like he could be played this week to shore up our lineout, but if he isn't, it seems odd to carry him on the bench and not give him any game time since the Rebels game if he's healthy.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Taute seriously has to go down as the most overhyped player in SA. He really is crap. Slow as a mule.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
What's the go with Wilhelm Steenkamp? Is Foley resting him as part of squad rotation or is he injured?

I only ask because there is all this talk about us targetting the "weak Stormers lineout", but ours has not functioned as effectively as when we had Steenkamp organising it. It sounds like he could be played this week to shore up our lineout, but if he isn't, it seems odd to carry him on the bench and not give him any game time since the Rebels game if he's healthy.

Thought Steenkamp was excellent until he got dropped / rested. A bit perplexing. HE was first choice now he gets no minutes.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Thought Steenkamp was excellent until he got dropped / rested. A bit perplexing. HE was first choice now he gets no minutes.
He had had a small shoulder injury and they have been trying to manage his work load and only use him if he have had to which they haven't luckily

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
2014 Asteron Life Super Rugby – Week 14
Stormers v Western Force
Newlands Stadium, Cape Town
Saturday, 17 May 2014
Kick-off: 5.05pm (local)/11.05pm (AWST)
1. Pek Cowan
2. Nathan Charles
3. Kieran Longbottom
4. Sam Wykes
5. Adam Coleman
6. Angus Cottrell
7. Matt Hodgson (c)
8. Ben McCalman
9. Ian Prior
10. Sias Ebersohn
11. Nick Cummins
12. Luke Burton
13. Chris Tuatara-Morrison
14. Marcel Brache
15. Jayden Hayward

Reserves
16. Heath Tessmann
17. Tetera Faulkner
18. Ollie Hoskins
19. Wilhelm Steenkamp
20. Brynard Stander
21. Justin Turner
22. Zack Holmes
23. Patrick Dellit
http://www.westernforce.com.au/News...528/Burton-set-to-debut-against-Stormers.aspx

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Wow. This will be interesting now. I worry about our solid defence in centre field but congrats to the boys on starting. I think we have a good chance at winning but if we were gona loose a game this would be the one to loose. We already have 4 points from our tour. 5 points all up would be a bonus. I'm still tipping the force. Burton is a goer!

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Godwin out with a knee injury..crap!

Congrats to Burto another WA boy taking the step up #WAproductionline ;)
Dayuummmmmmmmm, bad luck for Godwin's injury, but my write up for the match preview was under the assumption Godwin and Brache would start in the centres. Guess I'll have to make the alteration. ;)

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Dayuummmmmmmmm, bad luck for Godwin's injury, but my write up for the match preview was under the assumption Godwin and Brache would start in the centres. Guess I'll have to make the alteration. ;)

Burton to start because Godwin is injured. That I understand and applaud.

Moving Brache to wing leaving a totally rookie centre pairing - that I do not understand at all. Having a really hard defender at 13 to give Burton confidence is a no-brainer. CTM is not a noted defender and I confidently predict that the Stormers will go down the 12/13 channel all day. That might be a train wreck!

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Burton to start because Godwin is injured. That I understand and applaud.

Moving Brache to wing leaving a totally rookie centre pairing - that I do not understand at all. Having a really hard defender at 13 to give Burton confidence is a no-brainer. CTM is not a noted defender and I confidently predict that the Stormers will go down the 12/13 channel all day. That might be a train wreck!
I disagree CTM is a very good defender yes he was shown up against the lions but take that with a grain of salt in the tahs game he was on for 1min and mad 4 tackles one a massive hit on TPN I think and last week was on for a whole half and we didn't see a change in defence.

They also have about 5 games under their belt as a combination for the Force A so they will have a good understanding of each other's strengths and weaknesses.

I much rather this that the alternative of Delit starting on the wing......

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Wow, didn't see that coming. But pretty excited with the new combo. Imagine if CTM cuts it up like we all thought he could. Either way, it will put the argument about wether he can defend to bed once and for all.

It's a big ask to win away, but the Stormers are so injury ravaged that even with these changes I'm calling it 50/50.

Great to see Burton get a start too.

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
de Jongh and de Allende have been in very good form this year. It's going to be very tough for Burton & CTM to contain them in defense. Pretty excited to see how Burton goes though - from all reports he's quote a talent!

We should have the edge in the forwards anyway.

M

Moono75

I wonder if Godwins knee injury was a result of Adriaan Strauss smashing him as he kicked the ball out at the siren to end the game. Was no point, Strauss was a tool!

That said good to see a young guy in Burton get a chance. Agree Brache is a better option on the wing than Delitt, though Brache doesn't seem the fastest guy. Surprised Delitt made it into the tour party. He needs to show a lot to resurrect his rugby career.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I wouldn't at all be surprised he they are being very cautious with Godwin and just giving him a rest and wanting to see what burton offers before he heads off with the u20s. No doubt his knee is sore but I wouldn't be to worried

M

Moono75

Burtons in the U20 squad so he can play. Time to find out by blooding him at S15. Should be an exciting pairing with CTM. If Shalk Burger ends up playing I think Gus Cottrel might just clean him up. He's been super aggressive in the tackle this year.

T

tranquility

Good for the U20s too that Burton is getting a strong game under his belt.

Nipper

Ward Prentice (10)
I wouldn't at all be surprised he they are being very cautious with Godwin and just giving him a rest and wanting to see what burton offers before he heads off with the u20s. No doubt his knee is sore but I wouldn't be to worried

That's what I was thinking - looked fine against the Cheetahs (except the shot he took from Strauss on the siren). Let's hope it is a case of being cautious and trying to keep the powder dry for the run home!

And it can't hurt to get Burton some game time in a challenging environment - he is part of their future plans - although I do question the wisdom of pairing him with another "rookie" in the midfield.

Nipper

Ward Prentice (10)
From the Force FB page, re. Godwin's knee:

It will continue to be monitored by the medical staff but we don't anticipate it will be too long before we see him on the pitch again!

Status
Not open for further replies.