• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stu Dickinson Retires

Status
Not open for further replies.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Because venting anger towards an individual over a internet forum can be quite a fun exercise, in fact, you are 99% less likely to get punched by someone whilst sitting behind a computer than you ever are by saying something to their face.

FACT.

And I forgot my disclaimer: Before doing this activity ensure you read instructions carefully, individual results may vary but research has shown that side-effects can include reduced testicle size, irregular heartbeat, general hatred towards you and increased alienation from friends and family.

J

Jay

Er, it means that he doesn't make enough to do it as a full time job.

Or that it isn't a full time job, full stop. How many matches a year does he ref and how much of his time does it actually take up?

DownsSupporter

Frank Nicholson (4)
"Because venting anger towards an individual over a internet forum can be quite a fun exercise, in fact, you are 99% less likely to get punched by someone whilst sitting behind a computer than you ever are by saying something to their face."

I agree Light, but nonetheless, cowardely

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Well done Stu, thanks for a great contribution to the reffing community, It's tough being a ref and your putting your hand up to face critisism, which you did so well and didn't let it get in the way of a fourteen year stint at the top.

I hope a good ref gets to fill the void left. Iain Smith looked good

T

Toby Lerone

Or that it isn't a full time job, full stop. How many matches a year does he ref and how much of his time does it actually take up?

None of the IRFU referees have ever been full time professionals: it just seems to be that they dont employ full time officials.
Alan Lewis worked with Alain Rolland at the same mortgage broker in Dublin IIRC, and George Clancy is a taxman.

Anyway, best wishes to Stu in retirement: I guess he's always had his sights on retiring in 2011 after getting his degree this year.
Even if I didnt agree with his decision as the TMO in RWC2007 final, he had the balls to make the tight decision when it mattered, and not go with the easy option of awarding the try. One of the best referee's around in my eyes.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
I personally think anybody, and I mean anybody, who got to the top level deserves full accolades, regardless of how shit fans think they are. Ultimately, they gave up their time to the game, are probably more passionate about it then any of us & were lucky enough to experience big match atmosphere, tension & a viewof the game, very few of us were able to.

If you ref to your ability, and the powers that be decide you are good enough to go to the very top, then you deserve to bow out with your head held high, and with full respect from fans.

If I see Stu Dickinson in a bar, I'll be at the front of the queue to buy him a beer. Referee's shouldnt' be immune from criticism, but they don't deserve the flak which comes their way.

Ironingman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Absolutely spot on MR, my involvement in Rugby spans time as a player, coach, manager, touchie, referee and spectator. Have to say Referee is by far the hardest role and spectator the easiest.

Ironingman

Allen Oxlade (6)
I understand Jay, at least you didn't have to contend with a 92-3 scoreline like the Reds of '07, still remember sitting in the dark stunned......see there is always someone worse off than you if you think about it.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He just improved the Brumbies chances next year... He shouldn't be closer to the game than the couch... Way too self important on the field didn't focus on the flow of the game enough C+ as a ref... probably a good guy to have a drink with off the field...

I don't recall Dickinson ruining a Brumbies' game?

Walsh and Kaplan on the other hand...

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
As a Highlanders fan, you obviously understand Jay's pain :)

Oh yes, although my expectations are always pretty low. Unlike the 'Canes who have so many star players and yet always underperform, it could be argued we are one of the better performing NZ franchises resource-wise.

Sorry for the thread highjack.

J

Jay

You're right it was Steve Walsh... my sincere apologies to Stu Dickinson... I unfairly penalised him… it was another ref… :notworthy

I've still not forgiven Walsh for a Ranfurly Shield challenge in about 2001.

O

ON85

Some pretty uncharitable posts on here, I gotta say. I mean in a thread where it starts as some recognition that the guy reffed at the top level for 14 odd years, if you really have nothing nice to say about him, why bother?

There's a consistency about these critics, in that they never a) Offer a critique based on specifics such as mobility, positioning, interpretation, communication and game management and b) Their opinions are shaped by the outcomes of matches involving teams they support. Take a tour through the posts that slam Dicko and you'll find precious little substance, more often than not just a fanboy rant.

Thanks Dicko not just for your contribution to Rugby generally, but for the connection you retained with the Club scene and your willingness to attend speeches and be the victim of many a scull!

Status
Not open for further replies.