• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2021

BundyBear

Peter Burge (5)
A crazy day in Division 2.

Lindfield beat Pats by 1 - Lindfields young had a red hot go. I hate to take away from them, but they seemed to pull some real lucky tries out (Intercept, a long field kick that bounced a crazy direction and their winger runs through) but I can not fault their enthusiasm. We came home really strong and another five minutes would have taken the points. Great game and atmosphere.

Hunters Hill over Epping easy - It looks like tough days at Epping who lost all grades again and have won just 1 game in any grade this year. They sit outright last in three grades. Hunters went to an easy lead and must have taken the foot off the accelerator in 1sts. Epping looked a little lost and its hard to see where a win comes from for them.

Barker over UNSW - I have not watched this, but a close game. I said last week UNSW looked pretty poor and only won because they played a pretty hopeless Epping. Barker were thrashed by Hunters (will not be the only ones). They may have had more players back so well done to Barker.

Newport over Hills - I said last week Newport were brave and deserved to be closer to Pats. It was suggested here they would have 20 more players back and it showed. A brilliant game of footy with what looked the whole of the northern beaches there. In the final play Newport kicked long, isolated the Hills winger who turned it over and they drew a penalty to steal it after the siren.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Renegades looking very strong as a rebuilding club, only thing I see of note though (besides the handy wins in all grades, well done guys!) is an ugly looking yellow/red combo in the 2nds game. What on earth happened here Pfitzy?

I had to leave just as 2nds were starting but it was for dissent - yellow followed by red immediately. Player had been penalised for a tackle and apparently something happened afterward. Refs report forthcoming, so not much else to go on.

There was a yellow given to another Renegades player for dissent shortly afterward.

Ref was apparently very quick to stomp on back chat - for us, at least. I didn't see the game so can't comment on Redfield's verbal discipline.

I'd refereed our guys v Colleagues in Halligan just before, and it was very verbal both ways.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Firstly we have to do whatever we can to protect our referees. They are basically volunteers and are a limited resource. While younger referees sometimes don't have the same life skills or experience as older referees, I am not sure that they have a mortgage on over-reacting to dissent and other management situations.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Breakers Vs Hills report

The day started early with Porters hosting Hills vs Forest 5th grade. Didn't see it but the score line suggests a Hills mauling at the hands of Forest.

4th Grade: Newport have a young playing roster and the smaller but fitter Breakers where able to take a 19-0 lead to the halftime break. Newport won plenty of games across the lower grades 40-0 /50-0 last year and I think the players need to understand teams wont rollover as easily in Div 2. Hills dominated the 2nd half and a late try would have made it a very nervous last few minutes for Newport but their defense held. 19-7 Breakers
3rd grade: The ref played 27 minute halves in this one?? Newport again dominated and went into the break 12-0, but as per above Hills didn't give up, scored two late tries to lead 14-12. Newport waved away a penalty shot with 3 mins to go
to go for the scrum. Ref blows up game 3 minutes early and Hills get the choccies.
Colts: Plenty of players back this week in this 10 try romp. Hills were saved somewhat by an off day with the boot with Newport only landing 4/10. Newport colts will threaten come finals time.
Women: Seven a side vs Manly. A great game and the girls put on plenty of big hits in front of a large appriecative crowd.
2nd Grade: After settling for a late draw after dominating last week Newport produced a strong 6-0 try win with 2nds showing the lower grades how you go for the jugular. Solid foundations set by a dominant forward pack.
1sts: Newport went into the break appearing to be in control at 14-3. A Hills try early in the 2nd half was immediately answered by a great Newport front row try. 21-10 but possession swung, Newport missed 3 kicks for touch from penalties (unforgiveable) and Hills lifted. The Breakers day appeared all but over before a last minute raid resulting in pressure penalty attempt that sailed over after the bell sending the big crowd into meltdown. The great escape 24-22.

The big crowd not only drank the club dry twice but produced a great atmosphere, talking to a Hills player in the club he said despite the results that had had a lot of fun and couldnt believe how many people were there.
Nice touch to Newport on the Anzac ceremony. Great to see the Hills players and supporters all arm in arm along the sideline as a very moving Last Post echo'd around the valley.

A great day of subbies rugby.

Rugby Ref

Herbert Moran (7)
Breakers Vs Hills report

3rd grade: The ref played 27 minute halves in this one?? Newport again dominated and went into the break 12-0, but as per above Hills didn't give up, scored two late tries to lead 14-12. Newport waved away a penalty shot with 3 mins to go
to go for the scrum. Ref blows up game 3 minutes early and Hills get the choccies.

The only logical reason for the 3rd grade ref shortening his game is if the 4th grade game went over time, and he had to shorten his game so he could get the remaining matches back on track. I suspect this was the case, as you mentioned that he played 27 mins for both halves......

Then again, he could have totally stuffed up his match timings, or he had a shitty match watch...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The younger Refs these days are getting too precious - so what actually constitutes as dissent? Disagreeing with a decision that goes against your team? Big deal...the ref should just ignore them, unless profanity is directed towards them (and that is a red card, not yellow).

Firstly we have to do whatever we can to protect our referees. They are basically volunteers and are a limited resource. While younger referees sometimes don't have the same life skills or experience as older referees, I am not sure that they have a mortgage on over-reacting to dissent and other management situations.

He was not a young ref. No idea on his experience levels.

Redfield also received a yellow for dissent apparently (incorrectly recorded as repeated offence).

I don't mind the consistency BUT think there needs to be a bit of common sense applied.

As one example: if a ref blows a penalty and a player aggresively asks "what for?" is that dissent?
As another: if a ref blows a penalty for the same offence and the player bemusedly asks "what the hell for?" is that dissent?
As a third: if a ref blows a penalty for the same offence and the player quietly asks "what the fuck for?" is that dissent?

If the ref warns about foul language at the start, or warns both captains early in the match that foul language is not on, then OK you've got something to go on.

If the language is directed at the referee in a derogatory manner, then fine, book him - straight red, no questions.

If the ref makes a snap decision to card someone because he suddenly doesn't like foul language, having given no warning, well that is a tough one. Blokes swear all the time.

That our guys changed their behaviour - took two cards :rolleyes: - and were playing with 11 at one stage due to lack of subs ready to come on, and STILL won, says we can be better. And we should be, quite frankly.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
The only logical reason for the 3rd grade ref shortening his game is if the 4th grade game went over time, and he had to shorten his game so he could get the remaining matches back on track. I suspect this was the case, as you mentioned that he played 27 mins for both halves..

Then again, he could have totally stuffed up his match timings, or he had a shitty match watch.

Newport has a brand new $25k scoreboard that counts down from his whistle. Colts were still in warm up mode up the back oval and there was a 5 min gap between this game ending and Colts kick off. Was actually very amusing as the crowd was counting down the final 10 seconds of the clock and the ref was at the bar getting a Gatorade and sausage sandwich.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
I watched the last 10 minutes of The Newport/Hills clash on clutch last night. The great escape is the perfect description. But well done to Newport on a good day of results!

Breakers Vs Hills report

The day started early with Porters hosting Hills vs Forest 5th grade. Didn't see it but the score line suggests a Hills mauling at the hands of Forest.

4th Grade: Newport have a young playing roster and the smaller but fitter Breakers where able to take a 19-0 lead to the halftime break. Newport won plenty of games across the lower grades 40-0 /50-0 last year and I think the players need to understand teams wont rollover as easily in Div 2. Hills dominated the 2nd half and a late try would have made it a very nervous last few minutes for Newport but their defense held. 19-7 Breakers
Colts: Plenty of players back this week in this 10 try romp. Hills were saved somewhat by an off day with the boot with Newport only landing 4/10. Newport colts will threaten come finals time.
Women: Seven a side vs Manly. A great game and the girls put on plenty of big hits in front of a large appriecative crowd.
2nd Grade: After settling for a late draw after dominating last week Newport produced a strong 6-0 try win with 2nds showing the lower grades how you go for the jugular. Solid foundations set by a dominant forward pack.
1sts: Newport went into the break appearing to be in control at 14-3. A Hills try early in the 2nd half was immediately answered by a great Newport front row try. 21-10 but possession swung, Newport missed 3 kicks for touch from penalties (unforgiveable) and Hills lifted. The Breakers day appeared all but over before a last minute raid resulting in pressure penalty attempt that sailed over after the bell sending the big crowd into meltdown. The great escape 24-22.

The big crowd not only drank the club dry twice but produced a great atmosphere, talking to a Hills player in the club he said despite the results that had had a lot of fun and couldnt believe how many people were there.
Nice touch to Newport on the Anzac ceremony. Great to see the Hills players and supporters all arm in arm along the sideline as a very moving Last Post echo'd around the valley.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Very pleased for BOBs with the results over UNSW. I have watched the games on clutch and in most grades UNSW had the size advantage. Bobs had big leads in all 3 grades and nearly got run down.

Gosh I wish i could get on a plane from London right now and be on the sidelines. Certainly going to be a while before that happens.

A crazy day in Division 2.

Lindfield beat Pats by 1 - Lindfields young had a red hot go. I hate to take away from them, but they seemed to pull some real lucky tries out (Intercept, a long field kick that bounced a crazy direction and their winger runs through) but I can not fault their enthusiasm. We came home really strong and another five minutes would have taken the points. Great game and atmosphere.

Hunters Hill over Epping easy - It looks like tough days at Epping who lost all grades again and have won just 1 game in any grade this year. They sit outright last in three grades. Hunters went to an easy lead and must have taken the foot off the accelerator in 1sts. Epping looked a little lost and its hard to see where a win comes from for them.

Barker over UNSW - I have not watched this, but a close game. I said last week UNSW looked pretty poor and only won because they played a pretty hopeless Epping. Barker were thrashed by Hunters (will not be the only ones). They may have had more players back so well done to Barker.

Newport over Hills - I said last week Newport were brave and deserved to be closer to Pats. It was suggested here they would have 20 more players back and it showed. A brilliant game of footy with what looked the whole of the northern beaches there. In the final play Newport kicked long, isolated the Hills winger who turned it over and they drew a penalty to steal it after the siren.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Very pleased for BOBs with the results over UNSW. I have watched the games on clutch and in most grades UNSW had the size advantage. Bobs had big leads in all 3 grades and nearly got run down.

Gosh I wish i could get on a plane from London right now and be on the sidelines. Certainly going to be a while before that happens.

Gotta say I was a bit surprised. Not that the previous week against Hunters Hill should be used as a guide, but that is a good bounce back and probably shows where they, Epping, and UNSW are at present.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Div2:
Lindfield vs Newport: This one is a toss up but the Breakers defense will get them over the line in a tight one.
Hills vs St Pats: I think its the away side again here with their forwards to well drilled for the Hills boys.
Epping vs BOBs: BOBs to be too strong across the board against a willing RAM's who will be eyeing this one as one of their slim victory chances.
UNSW vs Hunters Hill: To round out the away clean sweep HH to big, too strong for UNSW.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Div 4:
Oatley v Savers - the guys from Manly will be stinging after that loss last week. Big trip down to HV Evatt and they should win 1s and probably miss out on 2s.
Saints v Redfield - last week the ROBRs had the game taken in the dying minutes and will be likewise looking to correct course. I think this will be the game of the round for the Division.
Renegades v Mac Uni - think we should be too strong at home for the Beacons, but they will keep at us all day.
Oysters v Canterbury - gotta say based on their thumping of Savers, it is hard to see anyone getting in the way of a second title for Sydney Harbour.

Div 5:
Sea Lice v Combined Forces - the veterans will play manfully, but the Lice have youth and cohesion.
Merrylands v Irish - discipline & cohesion probably get the Irish a win here.
Menai v Dukes - Menai put up a couple of big scores after a slow start in Round 1, and Dukes looked short of numbers last week.
Burraneer v Balmain - Hammerheads to have too much at this stage of the season. Balmain are rocks and diamonds right now.

Div 6:
Chatswood v Wakehurst - the visitors have had a couple of cracking weeks.
Brothers v Maccabi - Brothers have been shipping a few points on D, but Maccabi haven't been scoring a lot.
Lane Cove v Kings Old Boys - Covies will want to bounce back from last week's big loss.

The Year Of

Allen Oxlade (6)
Div 3
Blacktown vs Briars - Blacktown have dropped 3rds and this will help them. Also at home which is a big bonus. Close game with Briars winning after the bell by 5.
Valley vs Raptors- Valley starting to put it together with a couple of guns. Raptors big and in your face. The family club to get home in front of a massive crowd on the hill by 11.
Iggies vs HAC - If the game was at Richmond, HAC by 5 but it's at Ryde. Redmen by 15 because HAC can't travel.
Harlequins vs Beecroft - Match of the Round! Quins look strong in the forwards and always have someone backing up. Beecroft going strong after a 1st round lost. Game could go either way but going for the upset. Quins by 3

BundyBear

Peter Burge (5)
Newport over Lindfield by 7 - Lindfield were lucky last week. Newport will be too strong in this one and I expect a 7-10 point win. Watch for Newport to take 2s, while Lindfield will win Colts, 3s and 4s. All games should have 15 points in them.

St Pats over Hills - A much needed reality check for Pats, but the same mistakes won't be made again after a week of honest truths. Hills are a plucky side but St Pats will take this by 14. I also expect Pats to take all grades, though Hills will be competitive all throughout the day.

BOBS over Epping by 7 - BOBS will be confident after their upset win last week. Epping will see this as their only chance to get a win. I expect Epping to be high on energy levels, but Barker have a few classy forwards who will get them the bacon. Barker by 10-20 in 2s and Colts, while Epping may see some success finally with some wins in 3s & 4s vs Mosman.

Hunters hill over UNSW by 25 - I expect UNSW to be competitive, but they will be overrun by the powerfull Hunters Hill. Expect HH to win every grade, ranging from 10-40.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Newport over Lindfield by 7 - Lindfield were lucky last week. Newport will be too strong in this one and I expect a 7-10 point win. Watch for Newport to take 2s, while Lindfield will win Colts, 3s and 4s. All games should have 15 points in them.

St Pats over Hills - A much needed reality check for Pats, but the same mistakes won't be made again after a week of honest truths. Hills are a plucky side but St Pats will take this by 14. I also expect Pats to take all grades, though Hills will be competitive all throughout the day.

BOBS over Epping by 7 - BOBS will be confident after their upset win last week. Epping will see this as their only chance to get a win. I expect Epping to be high on energy levels, but Barker have a few classy forwards who will get them the bacon. Barker by 10-20 in 2s and Colts, while Epping may see some success finally with some wins in 3s & 4s vs Mosman.

Hunters hill over UNSW by 25 - I expect UNSW to be competitive, but they will be overrun by the powerfull Hunters Hill. Expect HH to win every grade, ranging from 10-40.

Looking at the Newport lower grade team sheets I’m going to call a Breakers clean sweep.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Div 4 - 100%
Div 5 - 75% (Missed Merrylands over Irish)
Div 6 - 66% of wins but missed the draw!

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Div2:
Lindfield vs Newport: This one is a toss up but the Breakers defense will get them over the line in a tight one.
Hills vs St Pats: I think its the away side again here with their forwards to well drilled for the Hills boys.
Epping vs BOBs: BOBs to be too strong across the board against a willing RAM's who will be eyeing this one as one of their slim victory chances.
UNSW vs Hunters Hill: To round out the away clean sweep HH to big, too strong for UNSW.

Breakers defensive unit and slick backline to good for a pretty limited but willing Lindfield. Certainly the appearance of retired former Warringah 1st grade halfback Josh Holmes in Breakers colours will generate even bigger crowds at Porters.

The other highlight from Wakehurst yesterday was the Breakers colts performance. After a 10 try mauling of Hills last week Newport put on another 8 try to zip belting with an aggressive defensive display backed up by skilful ball handling.

BundyBear

Peter Burge (5)
Breakers defensive unit and slick backline to good for a pretty limited but willing Lindfield. Certainly the appearance of retired former Warringah 1st grade halfback Josh Holmes in Breakers colours will generate even bigger crowds at Porters.

The other highlight from Wakehurst yesterday was the Breakers colts performance. After a 10 try mauling of Hills last week Newport put on another 8 try to zip belting with an aggressive defensive display backed up by skilful ball handling.

Newport go from strength to strength and look like they could be a contender. They also dominated the results.

St Pats returned with a good win today, although I was impressed with the dogged nature of Hills. They just didn't have the attack/size to match us. St Pats winning most games.

The wooden spoon battle between Barker/Epping looked a fizzer. Not a lot of quality on either side. Barker win all lower grades in a worrying sign for Epping.

Hunters Hill also pick up their third consecutive clean sweep. When will they lose a game in any grade?