• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Round 2, 2018 - Rebels V Reds @ AAMI Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
My take.
Higgers action was dumb and definitely deserved a Yellow and borderline Red.

Tui was a straight out Red.

Scrums were good particularly first half under impossible conditions.

Jonno Lance made more line breaks in this game
than QC (Quade Cooper) did all last year. Toua was good. Slipper and Thor better than their opposites.

Wouldn't you know it: Genia had a blinder ! Being positive it was good to see Samu's ball security in contact
may have improved: I think he lost only 4 balls. Am sure he will work on it !

The current rules fuck the game from a spectator's POV. No Reds unless blatantly foul (like a king hit) All other infringements should be Y/C and penalty and the match review committee rub the player out for whatever the suspension. Sort of similar to AFL. This game wasn't a game to be won with one team having 14 blokes for 70 minutes. It wasn't a contest. Sure people will say it's the player's responsibility and it is but the spectators deserve better.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Did I read Thorn quoting what happened in League in the 90s in defence of Higgers shoulder charge, I hope it was misreported or he's dumber than I though and Reds have a real big problem!

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Dunno what he said but surely coaches have to play to the rules but can be critical of certain rules or do we all have to be Yes Muppets

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Did I read Thorn quoting what happened in League in the 90s in defence of Higgers shoulder charge, I hope it was misreported or he's dumber than I though and Reds have a real big problem!
No he didn't. He said it's not like that anymore. And that there are different rules now to protect players.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
No he didn't. He said it's not like that anymore. And that there are different rules now to protect players.

Great, I would of been awful disappointed, and not even sure where I read it, but suspected it was one of those comments conveniently taken out of context to grab a headline.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Higgers suspended for 3 weeks, reduced from 6 because he pleaded guilty and has a good record over his career.

Who would have thought Higgers had a good record ;)

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Its Higginbotham's denial that should be cause for most concern: "Just a tackle mate been doing that the last 12 years".

I understand your point and I agree generally but of course that’s what he’s going to say at the post match presser. He knows he’s going before the judiciary, it’s not like he’s going to say, “yeah I just saw the lanky prick there and thought I’d smash him in the head with my shoulder. If they’re smart they’ll rub me out for 6-8 weeks.”

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Probably going to rehash older comments, but at the stadium I was bemused by both cards. Thought Higgers deserved a yellow and was flummoxed that Tui didn't see a red.

Try of the night was for CFS, 'tackle' of the night from Sefa on Tongan Thor (don't think Sefa remembers it) and best all round performance goes to the Rebels match-day admin team who must have finally read my annual grumpy email about shit music, AFL ground announcers and PA volume set to 11.

Both teams have some work to do but from the perspective of this haggard Rebels fan who spent 2017 clinging onto little more than stress and anxiety about the future of pro rugby in Melbourne, the result was fan-fucking-tastic.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Good on you Tex, nothing like the feeling of your team finally giving you hope that all your support is not wasted huh? And why i pleased for the win, because fans like you deserve the good feeling!

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
I understand your point and I agree generally but of course that’s what he’s going to say at the post match presser. He knows he’s going before the judiciary, it’s not like he’s going to say, “yeah I just saw the lanky prick there and thought I’d smash him in the head with my shoulder. If they’re smart they’ll rub me out for 6-8 weeks.”

Well no, but he could have said that it was a legal tackle which accidentally went high due to the movements of all players and although he thinks that the red card was harsh he understands that it was inappropriate. Instead, Thorn and he sat there being amazed that anyone could have thought that there was anything wrong with the tackle and that the ref must have been crazy - and then pleading guilty to the charge afterwards.
I wouldn't be picking someone for the Wallabies with that attitude (which may be why he hasn't been picked for a while). Hopefully it isn't what he and Thorn actually think otherwise they are going to be playing a lot of games with less than 15.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Its Higginbotham's denial that should be cause for most concern: "Just a tackle mate been doing that the last 12 years".

I've never really forgiven/trusted Higginbotham since his body check on Drew Mitchell that supremely messed up his career. Can be a bit Dodgy eh.

Slipper would be a better choice.

T

TOCC

I've never really forgiven/trusted Higginbotham since his body check on Drew Mitchell that supremely messed up his career. Can be a bit Dodgy eh.

Slipper would be a better choice.

Those 'checks' happen every single game, no one could have guess that it would injure Mitchell in the way it did, it was hardly a malicious action but it did have detrimental outcomes.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
↑ not that one in 2012 - I seem to recall someone reefing his leg out of a ruck & over their shoulder buggering it up again.

Can't find the story now but I'm sure Higgers was involved...

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I heard Higgers was the one that gave the aru the idea to pay pocock to take a year off

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Wasn't Higgers involved with developing the nuclear bomb.

Status
Not open for further replies.