• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Round 2023

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Last night on the big screens they announced Super Round in Melbourne in March. At least it's not on school holidays again, and with less COVID going around might attract some travelling fans of the game as well.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
71831FAF-34B5-417B-9672-8E3C6341F6F1.png

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Just like with the NRL magic round, it’s the travelers that will make the event and not the locals. Otherwise it will just be the same group that turns up each week spread out across 6 games. We need people from WA, QLD and NSW to support the event otherwise it will be a bust again.

I had several mates travel from throughout the country to attend Magic round which is what makes it such a great event. So time to get off our butts and attend, Melb is a great place to take the Mrs while you are at the footy.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
This should really be on ANZAC Day, and there should not be Kiwi v Kiwi or Aus v Aus.

Great idea though. I may try to wrangle some time and money for it.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Just like with the NRL magic round, it’s the travelers that will make the event and not the locals. Otherwise it will just be the same group that turns up each week spread out across 6 games. We need people from WA, QLD and NSW to support the event otherwise it will be a bust again.

I had several mates travel from throughout the country to attend Magic round which is what makes it such a great event. So time to get off our butts and attend, Melb is a great place to take the Mrs while you are at the footy.
Plus it's March, weather is normally good.

Hopefully they set up some outside bars and food trucks on the concourse and at Goosh Paddock. Make it more a festival feel.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Does this mean the full draw has been decided for next year? I cant see it on the Reds site but if it has been done it finally gives enough notice for me to book leave at work and travel to an away game.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Does this mean the full draw has been decided for next year? I cant see it on the Reds site but if it has been done it finally gives enough notice for me to book leave at work and travel to an away game.
It hasn't yet but it's not far away - I was on the phone to reds membership on Friday and they're expecting to start selling next years memberships in early October, the draw being more or less the last thing they need in place to kick that off,

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I see that the Red, Waratahs and Brumbies all don't loose a home game to this.
The kiwi teams are the one who sold the rights to their home games to TEG who packaged it up. it’s a money spinning opportunity for NZ teams hosted in Australia because it’s more lucrative to host it here.

Last edited:

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The kiwi teams are the one who sold the rights to their home games to TEG who packaged it up. it’s a money spinning opportunity for NZ teams hosted in Australia because it’s more lucrative to host it here.

Wait. Are you suggesting that Australia being the far larger economy and market is potentially more valuable even it's its current level of neglect in terms of Rugby? Many Kiwis won't like that. That would almost be like admitting that if they actually got off the pedestals and looked to come up with a model that looked to grow and leverage one of the strongest sporting markets (per capita) in the world that not only would we benefit but they would too. Wouldn't that be something.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Seems a bit silly to have derbies, would've been better for every match to be a cross-over no?

Reactions: dru

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Seems a bit silly to have derbies, would've been better for every match to be a cross-over no?

Isn’t the intent that the trans-Tasman games are intermingled next year anyway? I don’t think it’ll matter as much whether they’re cross over games or not given the draw will revert to a bit of normality next year

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Isn’t the intent that the trans-Tasman games are intermingled next year anyway? I don’t think it’ll matter as much whether they’re cross over games or not given the draw will revert to a bit of normality next year
Sure but still, adds a bit more to the Aus/NZ rivalry, tally up who won the weekend etc. Crusaders v Highlanders less of interest to casual Aussies who would go than if they each played Reds or Force.

Reactions: dru

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Cantabs dumped in the no-fucks-given opening time slot, Blues with the primo Sunday arvo running-rugby-in-the-sun kickoff time, the dew won't save you now, Bumbreeze.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Sure but still, adds a bit more to the Aus/NZ rivalry, tally up who won the weekend etc. Crusaders v Highlanders less of interest to casual Aussies who would go than if they each played Reds or Force.
Does it really matter in Melbourne? looking at the crowd for the Bledisloe and Super around last year there’s more casual kiwi fans then Aussies.

Casual Aussies aren’t necessarily the target market for this event. Vic Govt paid for it to attract tourists from interstate and Kiwis from across the ditch.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Actually, having attended the Super Round this season the Kiwi fans tended to come and go with their teams with only a relatively small % turning up or hanging around once their team was no longer involved. Most of the casual fans who watched every game available at least from my experience were the Australian fans.