• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2017: matches not involving Australian teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^ kinda looks that way, dunnit?

Sopoaga pulls off a try-saving tackle on Moala but looks to have done a hammy in the process.........

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bloos take the gift three from in front, Clan 13-12 with 12 to go. Gotta wonder if the scrum mighta been a better option, they've barely made it into the Clan 22 all night so five or seven right there might've served them better. Clan will just bang it downtown & chase from here in, Bloos are gunna have to do something they've not managed so far in 70 minutes.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pratley gives away a dumb-arse penalty, Banks slots it. Clan 16-12 inside the last ten (allowing for the game going two-three mins long :)).

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bloos go close but the final pass goes forward, defensive 5m scrum Clan. Two min on the clclock clock & im sure ASmith will use up one of them getting the ball in..........

Bloos lineout 40m out, siren goes, Bloos rumbling up to the 22, they go left & get to 5m out. Moana goes close, stopped, penalty adv Bloos. YC to Evans, Bloos tap & go but drop it. Sums up their night, really.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Missed all but the final few minutes of the Blues/Highlanders match, but sounds like I didn't miss much from either side. By the sounds of it, that could be West's last match? Must say, I wouldn't shed a tear if it was.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^ I think Tana should give him one more chance :)

A bad night at the office for West who seems to be one of those guys who if something goes wrong early it causes them to lose confidence in what they're doing & they end up trying so hard not to make a mistake they become totally ineffective. Should've been hooked at around 30 min mark imo but with Francis being more a 12 than a 10 maybe Tana didn't have the confidence in him to steer the ship for that long.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
re:West his kicking game is just too tentative and ponderous. Oh, and inept.
Cheetahs over Sunwolves 38 - 31 I think.
Saw this one, highly entertaining, Orange Free State almost came a cropper. Great hands from both teams. Liaki Moli The Wild Man Of Borneo played the game of his life. Fittingly, nobody was there to see it. Ref was damn good. Rasta the 7’s guy. Yells at pricks to move it, breaks up stoushes etc, decisive with all his shit especially TMO, well in control. Unlike the pantywaist in the Reds Crusaders game who was totally bitchfucked by all 30 players, rattled, ownd, pwnd, to the extent that he got the yips and started missing shit all over the place, players casually rocking up for all-in stoushes while he cowers away in the corner

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wouldn't say the Jaguares v Lions result was an upset if you had seen them play against the Stormers. Also, the Lions left a hefty chunk of their 1st choice players at home. I predicted they would win by 10 points.

The Cheetahs v Sunwolves result is a different story though.

sb.JPG

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Wouldn't say the Jaguares v Lions result was an upset if you had seen them play against the Stormers. Also, the Lions left a hefty chunk of their 1st choice players at home. I predicted they would win by 10 points.

The Cheetahs v Sunwolves result is a different story though.

Didn't they leave a chunk of their best players out last year as well, and didn't that lead them to miss the top spot on the log? All very confusing. If I'm right with my failing memory, then how would the Lions and Jaguars play each other in Argentina in consecutive years?

In any case, that was a good call by you Ulrich.

Reactions: dru

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yes, they did do the same last year. Because the Jaguares are in the same conference they play home and away matches.

I believe the thinking behind the move this time is that Ackerman would rather win all their home games than potentially winning against the Jaguares (and that is a big IF) by sending a full-strength team over there and then risk losing to the Reds the following week as they need to travel all the way back to face them at Ellis Park.

They might still lose against the Reds of course, but they'll probably have improved their chances of getting that all important W next to a home fixture. I tend to agree with the Lions' policy. No use traveling halfway across the globe for a once-off fixture and risk burnout. Rather develop some fringe players.

The Jaguares are much better this year although I suspect they will wane as the comp wears on due to their insane travel schedule. They have to travel back to SA at a later stage to face the other SA teams for example even though they were just here last week.

The Saffer teams are rotating a bit more this year it seems. Kolisi was rested now in Round 3 for the Stormers even though the coming week they have a bye.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
On the subject of the jaguares v lions match can someone please explain to me how Sanchez did not get a yellow card for taking out the fullback. Disgracefull decision, I thought it was borderline red card but only a penalty!!!

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
On the subject of the jaguares v lions match can someone please explain to me how Sanchez did not get a yellow card for taking out the fullback. Disgracefull decision, I thought it was borderline red card but only a penalty!!!
Really bad call by the ref. I honestly think he was playing to the home crowd. Perhaps out of fear. Who knows.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Start watching 43 minutes into the video.

Sanchez deserves a suspension for that. It is really poor.

Should have easily been a yellow card and probably a red. He's nowhere near contesting the ball and basically just hits the Lions player in the head with his knees.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Didn't they leave a chunk of their best players out last year as well, and didn't that lead them to miss the top spot on the log? All very confusing. If I'm right with my failing memory, then how would the Lions and Jaguars play each other in Argentina in consecutive years?

In any case, that was a good call by you Ulrich.

You'd have thought Ackerman would have learnt something from last year. If the Lions had played the Hurricanes at altitude, I think they would have got up. They weren't in the hunt in Wellington. When you are a potential top team you have to win all games, home and away to get that precious home final. I don't think they'll make a worse call this year!

Last week against the Tahs I thought the Lions were poor; they just had the ref and a rolling maul. Their defence leaked badly. When I saw that those players were rested, I picked the Jags to win too.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Looks like the cold and rain are conspiring to even the playing field between the Kiwi's and everyone else by taking out all the key backs with injuries - hamstrings and the like.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Stormers the only unbeaten SA side.

Promising to see the young players stepping up and making a difference.

Kings look like a much better team then last year.

Cheetahs struggled against the Sunwolves and were a bit lucky to got a win. Lions went down against the Pumas.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
dru has done a really good blog on this week's "Un-Australian Activity":

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/un...-round-up-of-the-other-super-rugby-matches-2/

Next week we've got Marcelo giving us his take on the Jaguares v Cheetahs, and Wandering Brumby covering off the other matches. Should be a cracker!

At this stage we have writers confirmed up to & including Rd 10 but if there's anyone out there who'd like to contribute, let me know either on here or by PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.