• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well no, it’s more than fine to question the integrity of the decision but his interlinked it with the performance of teams this year, wether or not it was a good decision doesn’t impact how well the other teams are gonna go.

And again theoretically the more fringe players from each squad will go overseas when their contracts expire and seeing say the rebels will in the future have too many players in their squad they will shed players who will then be picked up by other super rugby teams at the expense of their worst players currently in the squads.

No. Not just the fringe. TBF it has happened before - it's just that the statistical requirement is talent retention here has been reduced. By definition there is one less starter in every position, not just the fringe players.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
No. Not just the fringe. TBF it has happened before - it's just that the statistical requirement is talent retention here has been reduced. By definition there is one less starter in every position, not just the fringe players.

Well obviously not exclusively the fringe, use your head a bit. Sure we will lose some starters and some squad members, that’s aleays going to happen regardsless.

Yea and that starter goes to another team and either becomes the new starter and pushes the current starter to the bench then the curent bench player to the squad then the squad player doesn’t have a contract. Or the incoming starter comes into the team and goes to the bench and the same process happens. Either way the team ends up with a better squad

Are there less spots to unveil talent sure, will it affect us? Probably a bit but that wasn’t the initial argument which was will the teams be stronger this year compared to last because of the cutting of the force. To which the answer is, on paper, yes

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Are there less spots to unveil talent sure, will it affect us? Probably a bit but that wasn’t the initial argument which was will the teams be stronger this year compared to last because of the cutting of the force. To which the answer is, on paper, yes

I have never argues that some positive effect wont happen - this year. What happens in two? 3? 5?

T

TOCC

I didn’t realise the initial question posed was purely about 2018, the issue is one which needs to be considered out further then just 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Well obviously not exclusively the fringe, use your head a bit. Sure we will lose some starters and some squad members, that’s aleays going to happen regardsless.

Yea and that starter goes to another team and either becomes the new starter and pushes the current starter to the bench then the curent bench player to the squad then the squad player doesn’t have a contract. Or the incoming starter comes into the team and goes to the bench and the same process happens. Either way the team ends up with a better squad

I have actually been thinking (and a few discussions) about this issue for a while. I think one solution to this issue could be to move Super Rugby to a competition with some weeknight games. I actually after a rather heated discussion with a friend ran the numbers and we worked out you could have 4 byes and every team play every other team (then it was the full 18, I think also we worked out a way to extend the season by only a few weeks and have everyone play home and away) while not having any teams play any more often than every 4 nights (with the average being every 6), having a rest day before and after international travel and I think the regular season was a few days shorter.
The way we worked it out would have most the games played on Friday/Saturday and Sunday. I think at least Australia would be ready for weeknight sport, the NRL and AFL IIRC are already doing Monday and Thursday night games. And the Big Bash has really given the blueprint for how to do it (granted the time of year is helpful too). As to how it would help the fring players not getting runs or just outright leaving: Firstly, playing games more frequently would push teams to use more of their roster, meaning those bench players might sometimes be starters and those starters are more likely to come off the bench. Sure you'd still have guys like Georger Smith who would play every minute of every game less wild horses stop him, but a majority of players wouldn't meaning those benches and team selection would get a whole lot more important. Players rotating though means more exposure for fringe players and mean bench players are now more valuable (and paid a higher proportion of the salary cap for the aussie teams). I'm not saying it's a perfect solution, I think the real issue is that the Salary Cap won't allow all the top level player we are producing to remain in Australia, however I do think it's necessary and critical to the success of the game globally; I would actually like to see a Super Rugby wide Salary Cap, and perhaps even some profit sharing.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
You can't compare funds required to run a pro club in Aus (or NZ) to RSA. I think you'll find a salary cap needs to be nation-specific.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
You can't compare funds required to run a pro club in Aus (or NZ) to RSA. I think you'll find a salary cap needs to be nation-specific.
That was the dream talking. I do know / agree it's almost impossible. Maybe if/when RSA leave Super following the next TV deal.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Trial match results:

Hurricanes 43-22 Crusaders in Greymouth

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...beat-crusaders-in-super-rugby-preseason-match

Blues 45-19 Chiefs in Te Kuiti (cue Dismal Pillock's annual "this is our year" mega-post :))

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...fs-in-preseason-super-rugby-clash-in-te-kuiti

At least they've got something to put in their Trophy Room, even if it's something some bloke at Farmlands thought up one wet Friday afternoon...........

Highlanders 55-29 Waratahs in Queenstown

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...-in-preseason-super-rugby-clash-in-queenstown

Any NZ-resident G&GR members interested in this?

https://www.puntforprizes.co.nz

If so, sign up & PM me - if there's enough of us I can put together a "mates" comp.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Trial match results:

Hurricanes 43-22 Crusaders in Greymouth

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...beat-crusaders-in-super-rugby-preseason-match

Blues 45-19 Chiefs in Te Kuiti (cue Dismal Pillock's annual "this is our year" mega-post :))

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...fs-in-preseason-super-rugby-clash-in-te-kuiti

At least they've got something to put in their Trophy Room, even if it's something some bloke at Farmlands thought up one wet Friday afternoon.....

Highlanders 55-29 Waratahs in Queenstown

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...-in-preseason-super-rugby-clash-in-queenstown

Any NZ-resident G&GR members interested in this?

https://www.puntforprizes.co.nz

If so, sign up & PM me - if there's enough of us I can put together a "mates" comp.
Also the Reds had a draw with themselves... (but seriously they have a game against Fiji B two weeks from now.)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I don't see the culling of the Kings & Cheetahs doing much for the other franchises in SA, despite the Sharks in particular having made some decent signings.

More important for us over here is to fix the administration and reign in some of our own folk from other shores.

F. Steyn, Lambie, Bismarck, Faf de Klerk, V. Koch etc jump to mind that when sprinkled among the local contingent will add valuable depth at least.

All our teams are playing NZ & Aussie sides again at least so I'm hoping for better than 2/15 against NZ opposition.

Reactions: dru

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I don't see the culling of the Kings & Cheetahs doing much for the other franchises in SA, despite the Sharks in particular having made some decent signings.

More important for us over here is to fix the administration and reign in some of our own folk from other shores.

F. Steyn, Lambie, Bismarck, Faf de Klerk, V. Koch etc jump to mind that when sprinkled among the local contingent will add valuable depth at least.

All our teams are playing NZ & Aussie sides again at least so I'm hoping for better than 2/15 against NZ opposition.

2/15 makes you infinitely better than Aussie teams last year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So, 3 of the 4 Aussie teams won in round 2.

Meanwhile, only 2 of the 5 New Zealand teams won and only 2 of the 4 South African teams (the Sharks had a bye though).

The Rebels are second on the ladder!

Great weekend for Aussie rugby!

P.S. I'm being a little sarcastic.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
So, 3 of the 4 Aussie teams won in round 2.

Meanwhile, only 2 of the 5 New Zealand teams won and only 2 of the 4 South African teams (the Sharks had a bye though).

The Rebels are second on the ladder!

Great weekend for Aussie rugby!

P.S. I'm being a little sarcastic.
Of course you are, but seriously, having the Sunwolves in the Aussie conference has to give the Aussie teams confidence -unless they improve on their game from the weekend. We each play each Aussie team twice, so, based on last year's efforts, all the Aussie teams should get those two wins during the season if they can overcome the Sunwolves - far easier than being in the NZ conference and having to play that lot twice. Next week, I see a win for Rebels and Brumbies in the Aussie conference, but 4 wins for the NZ teams and two wins for the SAs

Status
Not open for further replies.