• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2019 Predictions - Aussie Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
If the Brumbies come 3rd and the Highlanders come 7th, Brumbies and Highlanders win, who plays at home in the semi? The site just says winner of Jags/Highlanders vs Brumbies, but am I right in assuming the Brumbies get the home game?

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
As for predictions:

The top 4 in order are the Crusaders, Jags, Brumbies and Hurricanes who get home quarters. Still up for grabs are 5th to 8th, with only the Bulls guaranteed a spot somewhere, and 7 other sides clamouring for 3 spots.

Next week, we can pretty much lock in a bonus point win to the Highlanders over the Tahs, and a bonus point win to the Jags over the Sunwolves. Canes vs Blues and Brumbies vs Reds don't matter. The 3 games of interest are the Rebels vs Chiefs, Stormers vs Sharks, and Bulls vs Lions.

Judging by what I saw this week, I'm going to lock in a win to the Chiefs over the Rebels. Which means the winner of the Stormers and Sharks finishes 6th and is on the plane to Canberra.

The winner of the Bulls vs Lions will finish 5th. Assuming the Chiefs win, if the Bulls lose, they'll finish 7th, which is a much better result for them than winning, as they get to fly to Argentina rather than Wellington. So they'll certainly throw the game. If the Lions lose, they'll finish 7th-9th, depending on earlier results. Where the real sh!t storm could arise is if both the Chiefs and Highlanders win without a bonus point. This leaves both the Bulls and Lions desperate to lose at all costs. But if either the Chiefs or Highlanders get bonus points, and especially if both do, the Lions are the best of good things here.

Anyway, it's all much ado about nothing in the end. The Brumbies and Jags get free hits at home against average South African sides, the Canes get to run roughshod over the Lions again, this time at home, and bonus points determine whether the Chiefs or Highlanders get the privilege of being decimated by the Crusaders.

Brumbies fly to Argentina in the battle for the runner up prize, while the Crusaders and Canes meet in the real final in NZ. And we dot the Is and cross the Ts the following week.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Two months ago I didn't think this was possible.......... but............

The Brumbies actually have a good shot at making the final.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
If the Rebels win, that’s a massive ‘if’, they will most likely play the Jaguares or Brumbies depending on other results.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If the Rebels win, that’s a massive ‘if’, they will most likely play the Jaguares or Brumbies depending on other results.

The Rebels unfortunately have the Chiefs at the wrong end of the season - they would've trounced them a couple of months ago, but it could still go either way.

Those two South African derbies are going to be huge for the makeup for the eight..........

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The Rebels unfortunately have the Chiefs at the wrong end of the season - they would've trounced them a couple of months ago, but it could still go either way.

Those two South African derbies are going to be huge for the makeup for the eight....
I know it doesn't really work like this but..... the Chiefs just turned over the 'Saders who put 66 - 0 on the Rebels.

Rebels are cooked, son.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
I'm hoping for 3 home games after someone knocks off the Argies over there and the Kiwi team that finishes 8th or the Canes knock off the Saders. Maybe wishful thinking but not impossible.

Speaking of not impossible, Landers could get 100 here.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's unfortunate, but to be fair up until a few weeks ago the conference was up for grabs and there was the possibility of more than one Australian team making it into the finals..........

Currently there's only 7 points separating 5th from 13th - the top 4 teams have really distanced themselves from the rest of the comp though.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
A very sad ending to the season with three of the four Aussie teams at the bottom five places in the standings ladder. Even more concerning for me is the negative points differential for Rebels, at -72 which is the worst for the Aussie teams. Happy for the Brumbies though and would love to see them make the semis - they play the SHarks at home, so given their grit, they could do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.