• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2022

Super Rugby 2022

• Go Blues

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Go cantabs

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go other NZ team.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go Force

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Go Tahs

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Go Brumbies

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go Reds

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • Go Rebs

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Go new PI teams

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go any team that plays the cantabs

Votes: 12 12.8%

• Total voters

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Makes perfect sense, shut the boarder to stop the arrival of something already there

Border was already shut, all they've done is shorten the time within which an intending arrival has to return a negative PCR Test from 72 to 48 hours, and replace the three days of self-isolation after seven days in MIQ with spending all ten days in MIQ. Further measures will no doubt follow as the outbreak grows but for now it has zero impact on SRP (Super Rugby Pacific).

I shall now follow dru's advice & only mention Covid on this thread where there's a direct impact on SRP (Super Rugby Pacific).

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
BBL apparently about to get halted. NBL too.
Do we get the players together for a COViD party to catch it and get it over with before the season starts?
You would presume the A league would be looking shaky as well then.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
As some of you may know I follow the northern leagues closely & have noticed that a fair few games have been either canceled or postponed due to clubs not being able to field front rowers rather that not have 23 players.

Idea for this season that all week clubs are mandated to train with 3 groups of front rowers that cant cross over with each other so that if 1 comes down with it the whole game doesn't get called off. Yes it may cost a team late in a game if 3 un-experienced guys are running on the pitch & having to go up against a rampant Nela in the 71st min but better than that than a game being called off just because you can field players but not enough props.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yikes. 3? And they’re off just training by themselves doing little three man scrums against the machine and holding the pool scoop for the lineout throw practise?

1 - Tupou, Mafi, Zander
2 - Fotuaika, Asiata, Hoopert
3 - Zonggorr, Nasser, Blake

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Yikes. 3? And they’re off just training by themselves doing little three man scrums against the machine and holding the pool scoop for the lineout throw practise?

1 - Tupou, Mafi, Zander
2 - Fotuaika, Asiata, Hoopert
3 - Zonggorr, Nasser, Blake

Sorry I more men't keep the 3 groups separate from each other during the week. For instance just say chibba Hanson packs down at the captains run with Orr who is spose to start then Eloff coming off the bench plus Aedo-Kailea for just a bit of practice then afterwards all come back with positive rapid, bang next day Rebels cancel game on match day morning because they have no loose heads. If they train in 3 lots away from each other might help.

I saw on the weekend in a bbl game the stars were missing 10 players & just got in guys from club cricket to fill spots Hopefully we can (as a comp) be able to pluck out club players to get a game up.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I saw on the weekend in a bbl game the stars were missing 10 players & just got in guys from club cricket to fill spots Hopefully we can (as a comp) be able to pluck out club players to get a game up.
With the likelihood of uncontested scrums? Maybe the whole comp should be run under special rules to allow for this eventuality?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
BBL apparently about to get halted. NBL too.
Do we get the players together for a COViD party to catch it and get it over with before the season starts?

That was original though as well, but now my understanding is that it isn't like chickenpox, I know several mates in the USA who have contracted the virus three or four times.

They haven't always been getting very sick, but have shown symptoms and tested positive.

I think this is the issue with the sporting competitions, you can expose all these guys to COVID and say, righto it's all done, we are clear. But then a month later, they could test positive again, may not be sick, but due to the competition rules, they'd have to enter isolation protocols. It is happening with the NBA at the moment, players have had to enter isolation protocols multiple times.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
With the likelihood of uncontested scrums? Maybe the whole comp should be run under special rules to allow for this eventuality?

Nah not uncontested scrums. I ment if you use reg's example those 3 groups & Hoopert comes back positive, okay sweet we know group 3 has not been in contact we can bring them in.

Just an idea, Bath gave 2 forfeit's this week just because they couldn't get a front row up & Leinster haven't played in a month for the same reason. With almost every other position on the pitch you can just move guys around. You can have 10 out & still field a side or have 3 out in the 1 position & not be able to.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
front rows can’t train in isolation though, they live scrummage against each other and need to train with the locks and back-rows for set piece training.

uncontested scrums could be considered as a last ditch option if it’s the difference between playing and forfeiting a match due to covid.

If you’re promoting players out of clubland to play and there’s a safety risk to consider in playing them against a top front row, maybe go uncontested.

Obviously you don’t want to see flankers been started as props under this rule, so just introduce a “in the spirit of the game clause”, if teams abuse it deduct them points.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
front rows can’t train in isolation though, they live scrummage against each other and need to train with the locks and back-rows for set piece training.

uncontested scrums could be considered as a last ditch option if it’s the difference between playing and forfeiting a match due to covid.

If you’re promoting players out of clubland to play and there’s a safety risk to consider in playing them against a top front row, maybe go uncontested.

Obviously you don’t want to see flankers been started as props under this rule, so just introduce a “in the spirit of the game clause”, if teams abuse it deduct them points.

I think its more likely games would be postponed than scrums go uncontested. Too hard to police 'spirit of the game' rules.

A team could easily argue it is safer for them to start their bench flankers as uncontested props who are Super Rugby ready, then grab some front rowers from outside the squad just to be packing down fake scrums. Safety isn't limited to scrummaging, you can argue there is adequate risk involved with a non-professional player going into contact in a tackle against a pro.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think its more likely games would be postponed than scrums go uncontested. Too hard to police 'spirit of the game' rules.

A team could easily argue it is safer for them to start their bench flankers as uncontested props who are Super Rugby ready, then grab some front rowers from outside the squad just to be packing down fake scrums. Safety isn't limited to scrummaging, you can argue there is adequate risk involved with a non-professional player going into contact in a tackle against a pro.

no room in calender to postpone games, if games don’t go ahead they’re just going to be canceled.

id argue scrums are the biggest source of concern, evidenced by overseas games been cancelled with lack of props. But anyway

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
no room in calender to postpone games, if games don’t go ahead they’re just going to be canceled.

id argue scrums are the biggest source of concern, evidenced by overseas games been cancelled with lack of props. But anyway

Yeh I definitely agree that scrums are biggest area of concern. My point was more that I believe teams who had good depth in other positions would argue it is safer to play their contracted players first in an uncontested scrum, rather than look outside the squad to find props who may not even pack contested scrums.

But yes anyway, lets hope it doesn't come to that.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Anyway time is slowly getting us on towards the start of Super.
So how about thinking of teams and their strengths and weaknesses this season, and no need to rubbish others opinions etc.
Keep it rugby.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I will start with Canes as they my lot
Strengths I see;
1 Moblity in front row, Aumua,Coles, Fidow,Numia and Roukete-Stones are all quite mobile
2 Decent loosies ,we all know Savea and Kirifi, I also really like Flanders (Hawkes Bay) and Iose (Manawatu)
3 In backs ( will be ok with TJP there if Jamie Booth is back to full fitness to keep him real honest, and Roirgard is a pretty handy 3rd option. Jordie at 15 (or 12) and Brayden sullivan just maybe not bad in centres with PUJ.
Weaknesses (that will outweigh positives I believe
1 Front row not real great scrummagers losing Franks before season a blow
2 Locks still lack a bit short (once again losing Bird before season no help)
3 Not convinced our 10s will be as good as required for such a tough comp, although I have hope that Love may be not too bad.
4 Rest of backs may not have enough game breakers!

predicting they will struggle to make finals!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I can't wait for the start of the season but really trying not to get too excited as I have serious doubts in will proceed. Or at least start when it's expected to. First competition round is just 6 weeks away.

The NRL teams are flooded with COVID cases it would seem. I can't for the life of me imagine that the SUper Rugby teams aren't (at least in Australia). It's just not as newsworthy

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I can't wait for the start of the season but really trying not to get too excited as I have serious doubts in will proceed. Or at least start when it's expected to. First competition round is just 6 weeks away.

The NRL teams are flooded with COVID cases it would seem. I can't for the life of me imagine that the SUper Rugby teams aren't (at least in Australia). It's just not as newsworthy
Reds have currently 11 positive cases with further 12 in iso.

Top Bottom